Обсуждение: downward dump compatibility

downward dump compatibility

От
tony
Дата:
Hello,

Is it possible to import a 8.1.1 dump file (standard format) into a
7.3.9 database?

I have an intranet with the most recent version and a public serveur
with selected data which is still running 7.3.

I am seeing an error with "\N"

Cheers

Tony

Re: downward dump compatibility

От
"Guido Barosio"
Дата:
Dunno, but it sounds like a "no" at a first sight.

What about dumping with INSERTS instead of COPY ?
That should work tho.

g.-

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Re: downward dump compatibility

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 14:38:24 +0200,
  tony <tony@tgds.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to import a 8.1.1 dump file (standard format) into a
> 7.3.9 database?
>
> I have an intranet with the most recent version and a public serveur
> with selected data which is still running 7.3.
>
> I am seeing an error with "\N"

It isn't likely to work without manual intervention. However, you probably
get it to work by editing the dump file without doing a lot of work.

Re: downward dump compatibility

От
tony
Дата:
Le lundi 17 avril 2006 à 19:23 +0100, Guido Barosio a écrit :
> Dunno, but it sounds like a "no" at a first sight.
>
> What about dumping with INSERTS instead of COPY ?
> That should work tho.

INSERTS in a heap of data then blocks the CPU at 90% abd just sits
there...

I'm thinking up a better plan.

Cheers

Tony

Re: downward dump compatibility

От
tony
Дата:
Le lundi 17 avril 2006 à 19:23 +0100, Guido Barosio a écrit :
> Dunno, but it sounds like a "no" at a first sight.
>
> What about dumping with INSERTS instead of COPY ?
> That should work tho.

Something is preventing the creation of all the tables, about three key
tables are missing...

Back to the drawing board

Tony

Re: downward dump compatibility

От
"Andy Shellam"
Дата:
Nothing to do with file size limitations is there?

What are your system specs?

Дата:
Le mardi 18 avril 2006 à 14:18 +0100, Andy Shellam a écrit :
> Nothing to do with file size limitations is there?

Not to my knowledge

> What are your system specs?

The public server has about 20 Gb free. It is a RHEL3 system with 1Gb
RAM.

I think that I am running up against the impossibility to load a 8.1.x
dump into a 7.3.x database because of something in my dump that isn't
compatible.

This 8.1 database was converted from 7.1 a while back and it was not an
easy task. I still have to convert it to UTF-8 and sanitise a few
things.

I think I shall sit down and write a dump script that only dumps out the
tables required by the public web app. And I think that I will migrate
the public server to 8.1.x if I find the RPMs for RHEL3

Cheers

Tony

Re: downward dump compatibility

От
"Andy Shellam"
Дата:
The source isn't too difficult to build for Redhat - I've done it on Fedora
3, 4 and 5 - I sometimes prefer to build the source so I can rule out
compatibility with my system if I come across any problems in the future.

What app are you using for the dump?  The built-in pg_dump?  What version?
If you're using the 7.3 pg_dump, try telling the 8.1 to connect to your
public server - that way you'll have an 8.1-compatible dump anyway.

If you're using your 8.1 already, try the 7.3, to rule out the possibility
of anything in your DB causing a problem to the 8.1 pg_dump.

Andy

Дата:
Le mardi 18 avril 2006 à 14:32 +0100, Andy Shellam a écrit :

> If you're using your 8.1 already, try the 7.3, to rule out the possibility
> of anything in your DB causing a problem to the 8.1 pg_dump.

Something along the line of creating a ssh tunnel to the intranet server
from the public server.

 ssh -v -L 5433:localhost:5432 my.intranet.url

Then pg_dump --port=5433 dbname > /var/lib/pgsql/data/db.out

I'll wait until they've finished work...

Tony