Обсуждение: pg_autovacuum log size in postgres v8.0

pg_autovacuum log size in postgres v8.0

От
Ameet Kini

Hello,

I'm using postgresql 8.0 and am using contrib/pg_autovacuum. Is there a
way to tell pg_autovacuum to rotate the log that it generates after
it reaches a particular size? From the set of command line options, it
seems that its only possible to specify the location of the logfile (via
the -L option) but not its size.

Thanks,
Ameet

Re: pg_autovacuum log size in postgres v8.0

От
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Дата:
Unfortunately, you are correct, there is no way to tell
contrib/autovacuum to rotate it's logs.

Ameet Kini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using postgresql 8.0 and am using contrib/pg_autovacuum. Is there a
> way to tell pg_autovacuum to rotate the log that it generates after
> it reaches a particular size? From the set of command line options, it
> seems that its only possible to specify the location of the logfile (via
> the -L option) but not its size.
>
> Thanks,
> Ameet

Re: pg_autovacuum log size in postgres v8.0

От
Ameet Kini

Any plans of incorporating it into a future release? How do people
currently deal with this problem? I wonder if this is fixed in the
pg_autovacuum distributed with v8.1

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

> Unfortunately, you are correct, there is no way to tell
> contrib/autovacuum to rotate it's logs.
>
> Ameet Kini wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using postgresql 8.0 and am using contrib/pg_autovacuum. Is there a
> > way to tell pg_autovacuum to rotate the log that it generates after
> > it reaches a particular size? From the set of command line options, it
> > seems that its only possible to specify the location of the logfile (via
> > the -L option) but not its size.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ameet

> > TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
> >        subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
> >        message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Ameet

Re: pg_autovacuum log size in postgres v8.0

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
Most people running Linux would add it to their logrotate.conf or other log
management methods.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/

Re: pg_autovacuum log size in postgres v8.0

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Ameet Kini wrote:

> Any plans of incorporating it into a future release? How do people
> currently deal with this problem? I wonder if this is fixed in the
> pg_autovacuum distributed with v8.1

8.1 does not have this problem, because autovacuum got integrated into
the server proper and no longer has a separate log.

Re: pg_autovacuum log size in postgres v8.0

От
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Дата:
As Alvaro already mentioned this is fixed in 8.1 because it was
integrated into the backend and benifits from the logging features that
backend already has developed.

As for the 7.4.x & 8.0.x versions of contrib autovacuum, I don't think
there are any plans for improving it.  Also, added it to your logrotate
would probably be a bad idea as it has no code to reopen it's log files
on SIGHUP nor is killing and restarting the autovacuum process a good
idea as contrib/autovacuum loses track of activity when it restarts.

Matt