Обсуждение: ERROR: could not read block

ERROR: could not read block

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
A programmer ran a query to fix some data against two "identical"
databases -- one on Linux and one on Windows.  They are both 8.1.0,
running on dual hyperthreaded Xeons, with data on RAID5.  The Linux
update went fine.  The Windows attempt give this:

dtr=> UPDATE
dtr->     "DbTranRepository"
dtr-> SET "userId" = UPPER("userId")
dtr-> WHERE (
dtr(>     ("userId" <> UPPER("userId")) AND
dtr(>     ("timestampValue" BETWEEN '2005-10-28' AND '2005-11-15'));
ERROR:  could not read block 649847 of relation 1663/16385/16483:
Invalid argument

            Table "public.DbTranRepository"
      Column      |          Type          | Modifiers
------------------+------------------------+-----------
 countyNo         | "CountyNoT"            | not null
 tranImageSeqNo   | "TranImageSeqNoT"      | not null
 timestampValue   | "TimestampT"           | not null
 transactionImage | "ImageT"               |
 status           | character(1)           | not null
 queryName        | "QueryNameT"           |
 runDuration      | numeric(15,0)          |
 userId           | "UserIdT"              |
 functionalArea   | character varying(50)  |
 sourceRef        | character varying(255) |
 url              | "URLT"                 |
 tranImageSize    | numeric(15,0)          |
    "DbTranRepositoryPK" PRIMARY KEY, btree ("countyNo",
"tranImageSeqNo") CLUSTER
    "DbTranRepository_timestamp" btree ("countyNo", "timestampValue")
    "DbTranRepository_userId" btree ("countyNo", "userId",
"timestampValue")

fsync is on.  We have not had any crashes that I know of (one key player
here is currently unavailable, so I may get a surprise when I can talk
to him).  The table being updated has about 23.3 million rows, each of
which has a bytea column which should normally be toasted.  The database
was in use during this fix query.  This table is normally insert-only.
The fix query was running for about an hour, during which time about
45,000 rows were inserted.

This looks to me like a database corruption.  We can recover from the
Linux machine, but we're interested in the cause.  (Management is
divided on using Linux versus Windows as our db server platform.)  Any
suggestions on causes or what to check?

-Kevin

Re: ERROR: could not read block

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 17:20, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> A programmer ran a query to fix some data against two "identical"
> databases -- one on Linux and one on Windows.  They are both 8.1.0,
> running on dual hyperthreaded Xeons, with data on RAID5.  The Linux
> update went fine.  The Windows attempt give this:
>
> dtr=> UPDATE
> dtr->     "DbTranRepository"
> dtr-> SET "userId" = UPPER("userId")
> dtr-> WHERE (
> dtr(>     ("userId" <> UPPER("userId")) AND
> dtr(>     ("timestampValue" BETWEEN '2005-10-28' AND '2005-11-15'));
> ERROR:  could not read block 649847 of relation 1663/16385/16483:
> Invalid argument

When a block is unreadable, this means that the OS is experiencing a
read error from the hard drive.

This is not necessarily related to the OS you are running so much as the
hardware you are running on top of.

If you were running on top of a RAID 1+0 or RAID 5 array, such an error
would likely never have happened, since it would have been detected by
the controller, and either the bad block would be mapped out or the
drive would be kicked out of the array and you'd get a system alert
telling you you had a bad drive in your array.

All Databases expect to run on "perfect" hardware.  If the hardware gets
a read error, the database is NOT going to know what to do to fix it.

So, right now, it's not Linux 1, Windows 0, it's The box you're running
Linux on 1, the box you're running Windows on 0.

You've got a drive with a bad block.

Are you running on quality hardware (ECC memory, Server class SCSI
drives, battery backed cache hardware RAID array, etc...) or just
whatever was laying about unused.  If you're not running your database
on quality hardware, you can't expect reliable results from your
testing, because what you're going to see are the hardware issues
showing up, not the database issues.

That said.  PostgreSQL has been running on unix or some flavor of it
since its inception.  It's been running on Windows in native mode for
about a year now.  I'd say Liunx is going to be a better choice for
production for a while.

Re: ERROR: could not read block

От
Joshua Marsh