Обсуждение: how do you automate database backups?

how do you automate database backups?

От
Ferindo Middleton Jr
Дата:
Are there tools available to automate backing up databases? I would like
to setup my PostgreSQL install to automatically backup databases and
save the file to specific location at specific times of the day with
little to no user intervention... I'd like to know how to do this in
both Windows and Linux. I imagine I could write some kind of script or
something on my Linux server but I have absolutely no idea how to
implement this on a computer running Windows.

I would imagine this could be implemented through the OS but are there
built-in features of the database itself that can implement automated
backups?

Ferindo

Re: how do you automate database backups?

От
Brad Nicholson
Дата:
Ferindo Middleton Jr wrote:

> Are there tools available to automate backing up databases? I would
> like to setup my PostgreSQL install to automatically backup databases
> and save the file to specific location at specific times of the day
> with little to no user intervention... I'd like to know how to do this
> in both Windows and Linux. I imagine I could write some kind of script
> or something on my Linux server but I have absolutely no idea how to
> implement this on a computer running Windows.

On Linux, you'd do as you mentioned write a script to do the dump.
You'd schedule the script to run at the approriate time using cron.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106    bnichols@ca.afilias.info

Re: how do you automate database backups?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 19:47, Ferindo Middleton Jr wrote:
> Are there tools available to automate backing up databases? I would like
> to setup my PostgreSQL install to automatically backup databases and
> save the file to specific location at specific times of the day with
> little to no user intervention... I'd like to know how to do this in
> both Windows and Linux. I imagine I could write some kind of script or
> something on my Linux server but I have absolutely no idea how to
> implement this on a computer running Windows.
>
> I would imagine this could be implemented through the OS but are there
> built-in features of the database itself that can implement automated
> backups?

It's not built into the database, you need some function of the os to
run a script that makes use of pg_dump. In 'nix you can use cron, in
winders I believe you can use 'task scheduler'.

Robert Treat

Re: how do you automate database backups?

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Since you mentioned multiple backups per day, I thought you
might want to look at the the Point In Time Recovery option, as
well as the pg_dump approach.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/backup.html