Обсуждение: how to protect root access database

how to protect root access database

От
"wisan watcharinporn"
Дата:
i have database with critical data (such patient information)
how can i protect my database from root access
because this host in company can access with root from many person
(person who manage some service application on host but must not access this
  patient information)

thank you

Re: how to protect root access database

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 03:37:37AM +0000, wisan watcharinporn wrote:
> i have database with critical data (such patient information)
> how can i protect my database from root access
> because this host in company can access with root from many person
> (person who manage some service application on host but must not access
> this patient information)

If you're handling critical, confidential information then you
should consult a security professional.  No offense intended, but
if you have to ask these kinds of questions then you aren't qualified
to implement the solution.

Even if you encrypt the data so root can't read it, root could still
corrupt or destroy it (intentionally or accidentally) with the
privilege it wields.  If the data is critical and confidential then
only trustworthy persons should have access (remote or physical)
to the system that stores it.  A system that gives root access to
"many persons" is a dangerous place to store such data.  For the
sake of your patients' safety and privacy, please consult a security
professional who knows what they're doing.

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: how to protect root access database

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
> i have database with critical data (such patient information)
> how can i protect my database from root access
> because this host in company can access with root from many person
> (person who manage some service application on host but must not
> access this patient information)

The only way to be certain that system administrators cannot access
patient data is to encrypt the data before storing it in the database.

The book that most directly describes this approach to application
design is Peter Wayner's _Translucent Databases_; see also his web
site...  <http://www.wayner.org/books/td/>
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/

Re: how to protect root access database

От
"Amrit Angsusingh"
Дата:
There is no way to completely prevent those root to acces the database , because root by the meaning is the person to
totallycontrol all of the activities in this server include the database. I suggest you to seperate such an important
databasefrom those root by the hardware.
Amrit

http://www.chaiyo.com ไชโยเมล์ - ฟรีอีเมล์รูปแบบใหม่ สดใสกว่าเดิม...

Re: how to protect root access database

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 22:37, wisan watcharinporn wrote:
> i have database with critical data (such patient information)
> how can i protect my database from root access
> because this host in company can access with root from many person
> (person who manage some service application on host but must not access this
>   patient information)

Ever seen the TShirt "Got root?"  If you're root, you're god, pretty
much, and get whatever you want.

If the data is encrypted before being passed to that server, then you've
got some protection, but at a higher processing cost.

Generally, when I've worked on database machines, there is one system
admin who can log into the machine, and one dba who has the ability to
sudo to the postgresql superuser and keep the db happy.  That limits the
number of people to two.  If your DB can keep a unix box happy, then let
him own the whole thing and you've got minimum exposure.

Expecting to limit roots access once he's on the box is the exact
backwards way to handle this.  The way to restrict access is to restrict
the people who can access the box and the levels of their accounts.

If you're in an environment where more than 2 or 3 three people need to
know the root password, your environment is messed up.