Обсуждение: Stripping raid vs. table spaces

Stripping raid vs. table spaces

От
KÖPFERL Robert
Short question:

Is it enugh to have stripping on a disk array?
Are table spaces then of less use than the actual stripping? So will just
stripping give me more O/I-performance?

Re: Stripping raid vs. table spaces

От
Dawid Kuroczko
Дата:
On 6/9/05, KÖPFERL Robert <robert.koepferl@sonorys.at> wrote:
> Short question:
>
> Is it enugh to have stripping on a disk array?
> Are table spaces then of less use than the actual stripping? So will just
> stripping give me more O/I-performance?

Short answer:  if you make one striping partition -- you have better
overall performance.

if you distribute tables using tablespaces -- you make tables
performance more independant from other tables.  I.e. large
load on one table has less impact on the load on the other
table.

Personally I would keep indexes on one set of drives and data
on other.  All depends on your setup.

Re: Stripping raid vs. table spaces

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 02:16, KÖPFERL Robert wrote:
> Short question:
>
> Is it enugh to have stripping on a disk array?
> Are table spaces then of less use than the actual stripping? So will just
> stripping give me more O/I-performance?

The answer is, it depends.

If you had some large number of drives to put in a RAID array, along
with a fast RAID controller and lots of battery backed cache set to
write-back, then it is unlikely you would get any better performance
from putting tables and indexes on lots of different discrete drives.
Of course, you can use both, putting table spaces on top of different
stripe sets.

The important thing to consider is your usage pattern.  Will you be
writing in several small streams and reading in one or two big ones?  Or
vice versa?  Or will you have many read/write transactions in transit at
once?  Will you have a few heavy traffic tables and lot of low traffic
ones?  On and on.

There's a big difference between a data warehouse / OLAP and a
transactional engine / OLTP setup.

Note that there is probably better info on this in the -performance
archives than in the -admin ones...

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Stripping raid vs. table spaces

От