Обсуждение: [Newbie] RedHat 7.2 & Postgresql 8

[Newbie] RedHat 7.2 & Postgresql 8

От
"robert.lamie"
Дата:
Hi,
I'd like to know if it's possible to install Postgresql v8 on
a RedHat 7.2 ? If ok, can I use the binaries distrib ? the
source distrib ? red hat or fedora ?  Is the RedHat-9 rpms
install is compatible ? Sorry for the newbie questions, and I
know RH7.2 is pretty old but my customer has no opportunity to
change.
Thank you a lot for your help.
Richard

Is there an alternative to install a postgresql 7.4 on RH7.2 ?

Re: [Newbie] RedHat 7.2 & Postgresql 8

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:38:36 +0200,
  "robert.lamie" <robert.lamie@laposte.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to know if it's possible to install Postgresql v8 on
> a RedHat 7.2 ? If ok, can I use the binaries distrib ? the
> source distrib ? red hat or fedora ?  Is the RedHat-9 rpms
> install is compatible ? Sorry for the newbie questions, and I
> know RH7.2 is pretty old but my customer has no opportunity to
> change.
> Thank you a lot for your help.
> Richard
>
> Is there an alternative to install a postgresql 7.4 on RH7.2 ?

I don't think there are rpm's for that old of a version of Redhat, but
you should be able to build it from source. I run REL8_0_STABLE on
RH 6.1.

Re: [Newbie] RedHat 7.2 & Postgresql 8

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, robert.lamie wrote:

> I'd like to know if it's possible to install Postgresql v8 on
> a RedHat 7.2 ?

Yes, I think so.

> If ok, can I use the binaries distrib ? the
> source distrib ? red hat or fedora ?  Is the RedHat-9 rpms
> install is compatible ? Sorry for the newbie questions, and I
> know RH7.2 is pretty old but my customer has no opportunity to
> change.

Do you know how to build RPMs from SRPMs? If so, it may be easy for you.

--
Devrim GUNDUZ
http://www.tdmsoft.com.tr                      http://www.gunduz.org

Re: [Newbie] RedHat 7.2 & Postgresql 8

Дата:
"robert.lamie" <robert.lamie@laposte.net> writes:
> I'd like to know if it's possible to install Postgresql v8 on
> a RedHat 7.2 ? If ok, can I use the binaries distrib ? the
> source distrib ? red hat or fedora ?  Is the RedHat-9 rpms
> install is compatible ?

I've been told that our current SRPMs will not build on systems that old
because the rpm spec files use features that didn't exist in rpm back
then (nested %if was mentioned, and there may be some other issues).

You could possibly hack the specfile until it works, but it'd likely
be easier just to build from a source tarball.  The traditional
configure/make procedure should work fine.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [Newbie] RedHat 7.2 & Postgresql 8

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

>> I'd like to know if it's possible to install Postgresql v8 on
>> a RedHat 7.2 ? If ok, can I use the binaries distrib ? the
>> source distrib ? red hat or fedora ?  Is the RedHat-9 rpms
>> install is compatible ?
>
> I've been told that our current SRPMs will not build on systems that old
> because the rpm spec files use features that didn't exist in rpm back
> then (nested %if was mentioned, and there may be some other issues).

Tom, do you have any 7.2's around? I change the spec in RH9 builds and
don't use nested %if. Maybe RH9 SRPM will work for RH 7.2...