Обсуждение: Network Storage Devices / NFS ...

Network Storage Devices / NFS ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Anyone actually dealing with a configuration using this for your data
drives?  I'm looking for more details on what exactly they are using for
the NFS server, but I have a client reporting that their pg_xlog directory
is *full* of .nfs* files that are 'months old' ... I'm suspecting that
this is some sort of temp file that the NFS itself is creating, and is
safe to just delete, but am wondering if someone out there knows more
definitively ... ?

----

Re: Network Storage Devices / NFS ...

От
"Matthew D. Fuller"
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:19:38PM -0300 I heard the voice of
Marc G. Fournier, and lo! it spake thus:

> Anyone actually dealing with a configuration using this for your
> data drives?  I'm looking for more details on what exactly they are
> using for the NFS server, but I have a client reporting that their
> pg_xlog directory is *full* of .nfs* files that are 'months old' ...
> I'm suspecting that this is some sort of temp file that the NFS
> itself is creating, and is safe to just delete, but am wondering if
> someone out there knows more definitively ... ?

As I recall, that's a side-effect of deleting files on NFS, because of
the statelessness.  If one client has a file open, and another client
deletes it, or two processes on the same client have it open and
deleted respectively, or something on the server...   I can't remember
which case it is.  But they're renames of files that were "deleted".
If nothing has them open (fstat or lsof or something) they should be
safe to delete (but don't blame me if it blows up!).

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net

Re: Network Storage Devices / NFS ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:19:38PM -0300 I heard the voice of
> Marc G. Fournier, and lo! it spake thus:
>>
>> Anyone actually dealing with a configuration using this for your
>> data drives?  I'm looking for more details on what exactly they are
>> using for the NFS server, but I have a client reporting that their
>> pg_xlog directory is *full* of .nfs* files that are 'months old' ...
>> I'm suspecting that this is some sort of temp file that the NFS
>> itself is creating, and is safe to just delete, but am wondering if
>> someone out there knows more definitively ... ?
>
> As I recall, that's a side-effect of deleting files on NFS, because of
> the statelessness.  If one client has a file open, and another client
> deletes it, or two processes on the same client have it open and
> deleted respectively, or something on the server...   I can't remember
> which case it is.  But they're renames of files that were "deleted".
> If nothing has them open (fstat or lsof or something) they should be
> safe to delete (but don't blame me if it blows up!).

This is what I was thinking two (around safeness to delete) ... to be
absolutely certain, doing a quick maintenance shutdown for the postmaster,
remove all .nfs* files and then restarting should be safe too ...

Sound about right?

----

Re: Network Storage Devices / NFS ...

От
"Matthew D. Fuller"
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:45:08AM -0300 I heard the voice of
Marc G. Fournier, and lo! it spake thus:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> >
> >If nothing has them open (fstat or lsof or something) they should
> >be safe to delete (but don't blame me if it blows up!).
>
> This is what I was thinking two (around safeness to delete) ... to
> be absolutely certain, doing a quick maintenance shutdown for the
> postmaster, remove all .nfs* files and then restarting should be
> safe too ...

Ah, I knew there had to be a better explanation around...
<http://www.webservertalk.com/archive211-2005-2-891673.html> seems to
cover it pretty well.

Yah, if they're in that directory, it's pretty much a given that the
postmaster was the only program touching them (and if it was anything
else, you probably don't care about it).  So, shutting down and
deleting the files should take care of it.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net