Обсуждение: postgres help

postgres help

От
goa
Дата:
We had developed some apllication with postgres-7.0.3-8 as back end
now that we have upgraded all our servers to redhat9.0,also we cannot use new version of postgres since there is some issues with date fields which we use of postgres-7.0

I am not able to compile postgresql-7.0.3-8 on redhat
9.0
i am getting following error
checking for POSIX signal interface... yes
checking for tclsh... (cached) /usr/bin/tclsh
creating ./config.status
creating GNUmakefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 35: Unterminated `s'
command
creating Makefile.global
sed: file conftest.s1 line 35: Unterminated `s'
command
creating backend/port/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 35: Unterminated `s'
command
creating backend/catalog/genbki.sh
sed: file conftest.s1 line 35: Unterminated `s'
command
creating backend/utils/Gen_fmgrtab.sh
sed: file conftest.s1 line 35: Unterminated `s'
command
creating bin/pg_dump/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 35: Unterminated `s'
command
creating bin/pg_version/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 35: Unterminated `s'
command
creating bin/pgtclsh/mkMakefile.tcldefs.sh

help

Do you Yahoo!?
Make Yahoo! your home page

Re: postgres help

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 02:46:01AM -0700, goa wrote:

> We had developed some apllication with postgres-7.0.3-8 as back end
> now that we have upgraded all our servers to redhat9.0,also we cannot
> use new version of postgres since there is some issues with date fields
> which we use of postgres-7.0

Could you elaborate on those issues?  7.0.3 is over four years
old -- aside from new functionality in later releases, there have
been numerous bug fixes since then.  You really should consider
using a newer version; I'm sure the people on these lists would be
willing to help solve whatever problems that might cause.

> I am not able to compile postgresql-7.0.3-8 on redhat 9.0
> i am getting following error
> checking for POSIX signal interface... yes
> checking for tclsh... (cached) /usr/bin/tclsh
> creating ./config.status
> creating GNUmakefile
> sed: file conftest.s1 line 35: Unterminated `s' command

Does "gcc --version" return more than one line?  According to the
following message, that was a problem that got fixed in 7.2.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-ports/2003-04/msg00015.php

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: postgres help

Дата:
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 02:46:01AM -0700, goa wrote:
>> We had developed some apllication with postgres-7.0.3-8 as back end
>> now that we have upgraded all our servers to redhat9.0,also we cannot
>> use new version of postgres since there is some issues with date fields
>> which we use of postgres-7.0

> Could you elaborate on those issues?  7.0.3 is over four years
> old -- aside from new functionality in later releases, there have
> been numerous bug fixes since then.  You really should consider
> using a newer version; I'm sure the people on these lists would be
> willing to help solve whatever problems that might cause.

The oldest version that the community considers even slightly supported
is 7.2.*.  7.1.* and before have fundamental, unfixable data-loss risks
(for instance, after 4 billion transactions you WILL lose all your data
in 7.0.*).  So you would be far better advised to spend your effort on
fixing your application to make it play with a current PG release than
on trying to recompile such an ancient release.

BTW, with my Red Hat hat on, I would say that RHL9 is about equally
obsolete.  Why aren't you updating to a more modern platform, if you're
troubling to update at all?

            regards, tom lane