Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 8.0.1 problem

PostgreSQL 8.0.1 problem

От
Indibil
Hi:

I want migrate to PostgreSQL 8.0.1 for Windows from PostgreSQL 7.4.1, but I
have a big problem.

In 7.4.1 I have a large view with nested views. It lasts 1 minute and 20
seconds to finish. In 8.0.1 for Windows it lasts.... I don't know. One
hour, two hour, one day... I always cancel the view because it lasts
forever.

Shared buffers and work mem in 8.0.1 are greater than those of 7.4.1. So I
think this isn't a memory problem. Furthermore, the 8.0.1 server has double
RAM than 7.4 server. The "simples" views work right. But when I run the
large view the problem appears.

The database was migrated with pg_dumpall (8.0.1 version) and restored with
psql (8.0.1 version).

Please, I need help.

Thanks in advance.

Indibil

postscript: Sorry for my poor english.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.1 problem

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 14:03, Indibil wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I want migrate to PostgreSQL 8.0.1 for Windows from PostgreSQL 7.4.1, but I
> have a big problem.
>
> In 7.4.1 I have a large view with nested views. It lasts 1 minute and 20
> seconds to finish. In 8.0.1 for Windows it lasts.... I don't know. One
> hour, two hour, one day... I always cancel the view because it lasts
> forever.
>
> Shared buffers and work mem in 8.0.1 are greater than those of 7.4.1. So I
> think this isn't a memory problem. Furthermore, the 8.0.1 server has double
> RAM than 7.4 server. The "simples" views work right. But when I run the
> large view the problem appears.
>
> The database was migrated with pg_dumpall (8.0.1 version) and restored with
> psql (8.0.1 version).

Have you run vacuum analyze on the new database?

Are the postgresql.conf files pretty much the same (except for the
renaming and moving around caused by it being an 8.0 .conf file...)

7.4.5 file write issue

От
"Chris White (cjwhite)"
Дата:
We are noticing on our 7.4.5 system the following files are being written
approximately every 5 minutes

/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock

Anybody know why they are being written? The reason I ask is because we are
running on a system that uses a laptop disk drive and requires at least 10
minutes idle time to spindown so it can recalibrate. This did not happen
when we were running 7.4.2, so does anybody have any idea what may have
changed between 7.4.2 and 7.4.5 to cause this to happen.

TIA
Chris White

Re: 7.4.5 file write issue

Дата:
"Chris White (cjwhite)" <cjwhite@cisco.com> writes:
> We are noticing on our 7.4.5 system the following files are being written
> approximately every 5 minutes

> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock

> Anybody know why they are being written?

So they don't get eaten by overenthusiastic /tmp cleaner scripts.

> The reason I ask is because we are
> running on a system that uses a laptop disk drive and requires at least 10
> minutes idle time to spindown so it can recalibrate. This did not happen
> when we were running 7.4.2, so does anybody have any idea what may have
> changed between 7.4.2 and 7.4.5 to cause this to happen.

In 7.4 it's done every checkpoint.  Perhaps you changed your checkpoint
settings?

In 8.0 it looks like the interval is hardwired to 10 minutes; you'd have
to hack postmaster.c if you don't like it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: 7.4.5 file write issue

От
"Chris White (cjwhite)"
Дата:
Thanks for information. We will have to look at the changes we made in
postgresql.conf.

Chris White

> We are noticing on our 7.4.5 system the following files are being
> written approximately every 5 minutes

> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock

> Anybody know why they are being written?

So they don't get eaten by overenthusiastic /tmp cleaner scripts.

> The reason I ask is because we are
> running on a system that uses a laptop disk drive and requires at
> least 10 minutes idle time to spindown so it can recalibrate. This did
> not happen when we were running 7.4.2, so does anybody have any idea
> what may have changed between 7.4.2 and 7.4.5 to cause this to happen.

In 7.4 it's done every checkpoint.  Perhaps you changed your checkpoint
settings?

In 8.0 it looks like the interval is hardwired to 10 minutes; you'd have to
hack postmaster.c if you don't like it.

Re: 7.4.5 file write issue

От
"Chris White (cjwhite)"
Дата:
Just checked and found that the checkpoint interval is the same between
7.4.2 and 7.4.5. We also brought up a 7.4.2 version and didn't see these
files being written/updated every 5 minutes. In which module are these files
created?

Chris White

Thanks for information. We will have to look at the changes we made in
postgresql.conf.

Chris White

> We are noticing on our 7.4.5 system the following files are being
> written approximately every 5 minutes

> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock

> Anybody know why they are being written?

So they don't get eaten by overenthusiastic /tmp cleaner scripts.

> The reason I ask is because we are
> running on a system that uses a laptop disk drive and requires at
> least 10 minutes idle time to spindown so it can recalibrate. This did
> not happen when we were running 7.4.2, so does anybody have any idea
> what may have changed between 7.4.2 and 7.4.5 to cause this to happen.

In 7.4 it's done every checkpoint.  Perhaps you changed your checkpoint
settings?

In 8.0 it looks like the interval is hardwired to 10 minutes; you'd have to
hack postmaster.c if you don't like it.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: 7.4.5 file write issue

Дата:
"Chris White \(cjwhite\)" <cjwhite@cisco.com> writes:
> Just checked and found that the checkpoint interval is the same between
> 7.4.2 and 7.4.5. We also brought up a 7.4.2 version and didn't see these
> files being written/updated every 5 minutes. In which module are these files
> created?

See the TouchSocketLockFile calls in postmaster.c.  I'm pretty sure that
logic did not change between 7.4.2 and 7.4.5 ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.1 problem

От
"Magnus Hagander"
> Hi:
>
> I want migrate to PostgreSQL 8.0.1 for Windows from
> PostgreSQL 7.4.1, but I have a big problem.
>
> In 7.4.1 I have a large view with nested views. It lasts 1
> minute and 20 seconds to finish. In 8.0.1 for Windows it
> lasts.... I don't know. One hour, two hour, one day... I
> always cancel the view because it lasts forever.
>
> Shared buffers and work mem in 8.0.1 are greater than those
> of 7.4.1. So I think this isn't a memory problem.
> Furthermore, the 8.0.1 server has double RAM than 7.4 server.
> The "simples" views work right. But when I run the large view
> the problem appears.
>
> The database was migrated with pg_dumpall (8.0.1 version) and
> restored with psql (8.0.1 version).
>
> Please, I need help.

Did you run VACUUM ANALYZE on the restored database?

//Magnus

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.1 problem

От
Indibil
Дата:
I run vacuum analyze and the view WORKS!!

A lot of thanks Scott, (one thousand or more ;)

Indibil

Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 14:03, Indibil wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I want migrate to PostgreSQL 8.0.1 for Windows from PostgreSQL 7.4.1, but
>> I have a big problem.
>>
>> In 7.4.1 I have a large view with nested views. It lasts 1 minute and 20
>> seconds to finish. In 8.0.1 for Windows it lasts.... I don't know. One
>> hour, two hour, one day... I always cancel the view because it lasts
>> forever.
>>
>> Shared buffers and work mem in 8.0.1 are greater than those of 7.4.1. So
>> I think this isn't a memory problem. Furthermore, the 8.0.1 server has
>> double RAM than 7.4 server. The "simples" views work right. But when I
>> run the large view the problem appears.
>>
>> The database was migrated with pg_dumpall (8.0.1 version) and restored
>> with psql (8.0.1 version).
>

> Have you run vacuum analyze on the new database?
>
> Are the postgresql.conf files pretty much the same (except for the
> renaming and moving around caused by it being an 8.0 .conf file...)

Re: 7.4.5 file write issue

От
Dmitry Morozovsky
Дата:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Chris White (cjwhite) wrote:

CWc> We are noticing on our 7.4.5 system the following files are being written
CWc> approximately every 5 minutes
CWc>
CWc> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
CWc> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock
CWc>
CWc> Anybody know why they are being written? The reason I ask is because we are
CWc> running on a system that uses a laptop disk drive and requires at least 10
CWc> minutes idle time to spindown so it can recalibrate. This did not happen
CWc> when we were running 7.4.2, so does anybody have any idea what may have
CWc> changed between 7.4.2 and 7.4.5 to cause this to happen.

What about switching to memory-based /tmp ?

Sincerely,
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck@rinet.ru ***

Re: 7.4.5 file write issue

Дата:
Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Chris White (cjwhite) wrote:
>
> CWc> We are noticing on our 7.4.5 system the following files are being written
> CWc> approximately every 5 minutes
> CWc>
> CWc> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
> CWc> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock
> CWc>
> CWc> Anybody know why they are being written? The reason I ask is because we are
> CWc> running on a system that uses a laptop disk drive and requires at least 10
> CWc> minutes idle time to spindown so it can recalibrate. This did not happen
> CWc> when we were running 7.4.2, so does anybody have any idea what may have
> CWc> changed between 7.4.2 and 7.4.5 to cause this to happen.
>
> What about switching to memory-based /tmp ?

If you take a look at postmaster.c you will see:

        /*
         * Touch the socket and lock file at least every ten minutes, to
         * ensure that they are not removed by overzealous /tmp-cleaning
         * tasks.
         */
        now = time(NULL);
        if (now - last_touch_time >= 10 * 60)
        {
            TouchSocketFile();
            TouchSocketLockFile();
            last_touch_time = now;
        }

I would change the "10" to perhaps "60" and try that.

I am now thinking we need to make this "10" a GUC variable for just such
cases.  This is not the first request for this.

Re: 7.4.5 file write issue

Дата:
> I am now thinking we need to make this "10" a GUC variable for just such
> cases.  This is not the first request for this.

At most it's the second or third request ... and this is hardly the only
repetitive disk hit in Postgres.  I can't get excited about it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: 7.4.5 file write issue

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I am now thinking we need to make this "10" a GUC variable for just such
> > cases.  This is not the first request for this.
>
> At most it's the second or third request ... and this is hardly the only
> repetitive disk hit in Postgres.  I can't get excited about it.

Should we update the 'touch' on the file to once an hour perhaps?

Re: 7.4.5 file write issue

Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > > I am now thinking we need to make this "10" a GUC variable for just such
> > > cases.  This is not the first request for this.
> >
> > At most it's the second or third request ... and this is hardly the only
> > repetitive disk hit in Postgres.  I can't get excited about it.
>
> Should we update the 'touch' on the file to once an hour perhaps?

Timer changes to once every hour rather than every 10 minutes.