Re: 7.4.5 file write issue

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: 7.4.5 file write issue
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Chris White (cjwhite) wrote:
>
> CWc> We are noticing on our 7.4.5 system the following files are being written
> CWc> approximately every 5 minutes
> CWc>
> CWc> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
> CWc> /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock
> CWc>
> CWc> Anybody know why they are being written? The reason I ask is because we are
> CWc> running on a system that uses a laptop disk drive and requires at least 10
> CWc> minutes idle time to spindown so it can recalibrate. This did not happen
> CWc> when we were running 7.4.2, so does anybody have any idea what may have
> CWc> changed between 7.4.2 and 7.4.5 to cause this to happen.
>
> What about switching to memory-based /tmp ?

If you take a look at postmaster.c you will see:

        /*
         * Touch the socket and lock file at least every ten minutes, to
         * ensure that they are not removed by overzealous /tmp-cleaning
         * tasks.
         */
        now = time(NULL);
        if (now - last_touch_time >= 10 * 60)
        {
            TouchSocketFile();
            TouchSocketLockFile();
            last_touch_time = now;
        }

I would change the "10" to perhaps "60" and try that.

I am now thinking we need to make this "10" a GUC variable for just such
cases.  This is not the first request for this.