Обсуждение: Performance issue

Performance issue

От
Pascal Van Puymbroeck
Дата:
Hi folks,

I would like to solve a strange behaviour I encountered using Postgresql
8.0.1 on windows.  Connecting to the database is OK, but when running a
query to the database, its terribly slow.  The fact is that I need the
database to be running on the same machine, my application is.  So I
connect to either localhost, 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1.  Strangly enough
I placed my application on my portable and connected from there to my pc
and now the queries are amazingly fast.
Is this something I can fix by some special setting or is it inevitably,
that connecting locally is punished by a performance slowdown ?

Thanks
Pascal Van Puymbroeck
ZENON productions bvba

Re: Performance issue

Дата:
Pascal Van Puymbroeck <pascal.vanpuymbroeck@zenonproductions.be> writes:
> I would like to solve a strange behaviour I encountered using Postgresql
> 8.0.1 on windows.  Connecting to the database is OK, but when running a
> query to the database, its terribly slow.  The fact is that I need the
> database to be running on the same machine, my application is.

There was a recent thread that came to the conclusion that loopback TCP
connections are remarkably slow on Windows unless you've installed the
correct add-on package --- something not tremendously obvious, I think
it was a "QOS" patch or maybe something to do with packet filtering.
Check the archives of the various pgsql lists.  I forget which list but
it was just a couple weeks ago.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Performance issue

От
Pascal Van Puymbroeck
Дата:
OK, I found the thread you mentioned and installed the Qos Service on my
win2K netwerk, but it gave no effect.  So it must be something else in
this case.

Pascal Van Puymbroeck
ZENON productions bvba