Обсуждение: Online Backup and WAL archives

Online Backup and WAL archives

От
Morus Walter
Дата:
Hi,

I'm currently considering to use postgresql 8.0 online backups.

The documentation says
' To make use of this backup, you will need to keep around all the
WAL segment files generated at or after the starting time of the backup. '

Now I'm wondering how much of these WAL segment files do I really need
in order to recover the databases to a consistent state.

Let's say I cannot write the WAL segments to tape dynamically when they
are archived. Then a complete disk failure would mean, that I loose WAL
segments also.
Therefore I would like to save a minimum number of WAL segments at or
after the online backup that allows recovery.
Is that possible? How would I decide how much of the WAL I need?

Of course I could recover to the state of database at about the time of the
backup only, but it would be a consistent state at least.

Or should I use the previous online backup plus all WAL segements up to
the current backup?

I expect the online backup to faster on recovery than an SQL dump, since
the latter would imply recreation of indexes during recovery.
Therefore I would prefer to use online backups.

Morus

Re: Online Backup and WAL archives

От
"Bruno Almeida do Lago"
Дата:
You may need to recreate some indexes:

"Operations on non-B-tree indexes (hash, R-tree, and GiST indexes) are not
presently WAL-logged, so replay will not update these index types. The
recommended workaround is to manually REINDEX each such index after
completing a recovery operation."

Best Regards,
Bruno Almeida do Lago

[...]

Дата:
Morus Walter <morus.walter@tanto.de> writes:
> The documentation says
> ' To make use of this backup, you will need to keep around all the
> WAL segment files generated at or after the starting time of the backup. '
> Now I'm wondering how much of these WAL segment files do I really need
> in order to recover the databases to a consistent state.

If you are satisfied with recovering to the state shortly after you
completed the backup, then it would be sufficient to have a set of WAL
files spanning the time period in which the backup is done.  I'm dubious
that this is necessarily an improvement over a pg_dump backup, though.

> I expect the online backup to faster on recovery than an SQL dump, since
> the latter would imply recreation of indexes during recovery.

Is that assumption founded on any hard evidence?

      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Online Backup and WAL archives

От
"Claudio Duffini"
Дата:
"Morus Walter" <morus.walter@tanto.de> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently considering to use postgresql 8.0 online backups.
>
> The documentation says
> ' To make use of this backup, you will need to keep around all the
> WAL segment files generated at or after the starting time of the backup. '
>
> Now I'm wondering how much of these WAL segment files do I really need
> in order to recover the databases to a consistent state.

It depends from the date of your "last" base backup. You must keep around
all WAL segments since.
The only way to keep WAL sets to a minimum is to base-backup frequently, but
how much is the size of your DB ? How many transactions your users produce ?

> Let's say I cannot write the WAL segments to tape dynamically when they
> are archived. Then a complete disk failure would mean, that I loose WAL
> segments also.

The command to archive fully used segments is there just for this. We would
use it to (keeping simple) rcp segments on another system.

> Therefore I would like to save a minimum number of WAL segments at or
> after the online backup that allows recovery.
> Is that possible? How would I decide how much of the WAL I need?

see answer #1

> Of course I could recover to the state of database at about the time of
the
> backup only, but it would be a consistent state at least.
>
> Or should I use the previous online backup plus all WAL segements up to
> the current backup?

Last base backup + WAL segments from that point on = Your Database

> I expect the online backup to faster on recovery than an SQL dump, since
> the latter would imply recreation of indexes during recovery.
> Therefore I would prefer to use online backups.

Replaying transactions is surely faster than a complete restore.

Regards
Claudio Duffini

Re: Online Backup and WAL archives

От
Pallav Kalva
Дата:
Hi Tom,

     If I want to restore to a particular point in time lets say to the
point in time like a day back when one of my table was dropped
accidentally and if i want restore the archive log only to that
particular archive log file . what is the procedure we should follow ?
just keep the archive logs in the directory until the last archive log
file i need or is there a command something like  " restore only until
at this archive log file " ?   Also what happens to the transaction log
files in pg_xlog directory in this scenario ? do i have to still keep
them or they get created by themself since i am going a day back ?

   Is this possible in postgres 8

Thanks,
Pallav

Tom Lane wrote:

>Morus Walter <morus.walter@tanto.de> writes:
>

>>The documentation says
>>' To make use of this backup, you will need to keep around all the
>>WAL segment files generated at or after the starting time of the backup. '
>>Now I'm wondering how much of these WAL segment files do I really need
>>in order to recover the databases to a consistent state.
>>

>If you are satisfied with recovering to the state shortly after you
>completed the backup, then it would be sufficient to have a set of WAL
>files spanning the time period in which the backup is done.  I'm dubious
>that this is necessarily an improvement over a pg_dump backup, though.
>

>>I expect the online backup to faster on recovery than an SQL dump, since
>>the latter would imply recreation of indexes during recovery.
>>

>Is that assumption founded on any hard evidence?
>
>            regards, tom lane

>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Online Backup and WAL archives

От
Morus Walter
Tom Lane writes:

Thanks for your answer Tom, and also thanks to the others, that answered.

> > The documentation says
> > ' To make use of this backup, you will need to keep around all the
> > WAL segment files generated at or after the starting time of the backup. '
> > Now I'm wondering how much of these WAL segment files do I really need
> > in order to recover the databases to a consistent state.
>
> If you are satisfied with recovering to the state shortly after you
> completed the backup, then it would be sufficient to have a set of WAL
> files spanning the time period in which the backup is done.

Hmm. But that set is probably empty if there are few transaction during
the backup.
So I guess either I have to save non archived WALs as well (which seems
to be problematic since they might change during saving) or wait until
there is at least one WAL archived after the end of the backup.
Is it save to backup non archived WALs? Probably it is, since the postmaster
has to deal with incomplete writes to WALs for crash recovery anyway.

> I'm dubious
> that this is necessarily an improvement over a pg_dump backup, though.

It's better in the case I don't loose the WAL archive at least.
Of course it's best not to need the backup at all, and second best to be
able to restore to a state as close to the failure as possible.
OTOH one of the worst cases I can think of, is to think to have a daily
backup and find that it's unusable at the moment you need it, e.g. because
you lost an WAL that's essential for recovery.

> > I expect the online backup to faster on recovery than an SQL dump, since
> > the latter would imply recreation of indexes during recovery.
>
> Is that assumption founded on any hard evidence?

It wasn't. But I did some tests and found it to be true.

Backup using pg_dumpall:
------------------------
time pg_dumpall -U postgres | gzip > pg.dump.gz
37.818u 7.697s 9:44.62 7.7%     0+0k 0+0io 2108pf+0w
266.722u 15.111s 9:44.61 48.2%  0+0k 0+0io 2198pf+0w
ll pg.dump.gz
-rw-rw-r--    1 morus    tanto    308194343 Feb  2 09:08 pg.dump.gz

Recovery:
---------
- create directories (data, tablespaces)
- initdb
- copy config/access config from backup
- start postmaster
- recover using
  time gunzip -c pg.dump.gz | psql -U postgres template1
  -> 1:08:17
- analyze all tables
  time vacuumdb -U postgres -a -v -z
  -> 0:06:13

So over all it's 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours to recover (once the machine is
up again and you got the dump from tape).

BTW: shouldn't pg_dumpall add an apropriate encoding command to avoid
encoding trouble during restore? Just to make sure people won't shoot
themselfs into the foot by having some encoding command in ~/.psqlrc.

Online Backup:
--------------
All data directories are copied by a 'tar -czf'
After pg_stop_backup() is issued all archived WAL files are saved to
another tar.gz file. The test was done without any transactions going on.

real    9m11.644s
user    7m28.789s
sys     0m33.730s

Backup-Size:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     782785152 Feb  2 11:18 backup.20050202_110935.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          302 Feb  2 11:18 backup.wal.20050202_110935.tar.gz

(the second file contains the archives WALs, so it's just the .backup file)

Recovery:
---------
There are no archived WALs after the 000000010000000100000039.000F51E8.backup
file.
I kept the non archived WALs (they are linked from data/pg_xlog)

- stop postmaster
- remove all files/dirs in data, tablespaces
- unpack backup (tar xvzf ...)
  took 0:05:23
- prepare recovery.conf (note: I erroneously created i in pg_xlog, see below)
- start the server
- since there was nothing to redo, server came up immediatly:
  from the log:
2005-02-02 11:35:25 CET % LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2005-02-02 11:09:35 CET
2005-02-02 11:35:25 CET % LOG:  checkpoint record is at 1/390F51E8
2005-02-02 11:35:25 CET % LOG:  redo record is at 1/390F51E8; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
2005-02-02 11:35:25 CET % LOG:  next transaction ID: 3679; next OID: 27566926
2005-02-02 11:35:25 CET % LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
2005-02-02 11:35:25 CET % LOG:  redo starts at 1/390F5224
2005-02-02 11:35:25 CET % LOG:  record with zero length at 1/390F5260
2005-02-02 11:35:25 CET % LOG:  redo done at 1/390F5224
2005-02-02 11:35:25 CET % LOG:  database system is ready

So the recovery time is ~ 10 minutes (ok, theoretically I would have to
repeat that test because of the  erroneous recovery.conf; but I don't think
it would make a difference).

I did a second test doing some data manipulation during the backup.
I followed the recovery steps above, with the addition of upacking the
archived WALs, which takes just a few seconds.
Again I kept the pg_xlog. After moved the recovery.conf to the data directory
the server recovered in ~ 15 seconds.
2005-02-02 12:20:12 CET % LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2005-02-02 11:50:34 CET
2005-02-02 12:20:12 CET % LOG:  starting archive recovery
2005-02-02 12:20:12 CET % LOG:  restore_command = "cp /d1/postgresql8.0/archive/%f %p"
cp: Aufruf von stat für »/d1/postgresql8.0/archive/00000001.history« nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
gefunden
2005-02-02 12:20:12 CET % LOG:  restored log file "000000010000000100000039" from archive
2005-02-02 12:20:12 CET % LOG:  checkpoint record is at 1/390F52D8
2005-02-02 12:20:12 CET % LOG:  redo record is at 1/390F52D8; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
2005-02-02 12:20:12 CET % LOG:  next transaction ID: 3687; next OID: 27562212
2005-02-02 12:20:12 CET % LOG:  automatic recovery in progress
2005-02-02 12:20:14 CET % LOG:  redo starts at 1/390F5314
2005-02-02 12:20:15 CET % LOG:  restored log file "00000001000000010000003A" from archive
2005-02-02 12:20:16 CET % LOG:  restored log file "00000001000000010000003B" from archive
2005-02-02 12:20:17 CET % LOG:  restored log file "00000001000000010000003C" from archive
2005-02-02 12:20:18 CET % LOG:  restored log file "00000001000000010000003D" from archive
2005-02-02 12:20:21 CET % LOG:  restored log file "00000001000000010000003E" from archive
2005-02-02 12:20:22 CET % LOG:  restored log file "00000001000000010000003F" from archive
cp: Aufruf von stat für »/d1/postgresql8.0/archive/000000010000000100000040« nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis
nichtgefunden
2005-02-02 12:20:23 CET % LOG:  record with zero length at 1/407793A4
2005-02-02 12:20:23 CET % LOG:  redo done at 1/40779368
cp: Aufruf von stat für »/d1/postgresql8.0/archive/000000010000000100000040« nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis
nichtgefunden
2005-02-02 12:20:23 CET % LOG:  archive recovery complete
2005-02-02 12:20:27 CET % LOG:  database system is ready

(the german error message of cp means `cannot stat file' / `file or directory
not found')

So recovery time still is ~ 10 minutes. This might change if there are much
more WALs to redo but this should only happen if one recovers to a state
significant time after the backup.

The server is a 2 CPU (Xeon 1.8 GHz with Hyperthreading) machine running
linux (RedHat 8.0, Kernel 2.4.18smp) with 1 GB RAM.
The disk is a two disk raid 1.
All data including the dumps were on this disk. Everything was done locally.
postgresql version is 8.0.0.

Of course the test leaves out the time it takes to load the dump from a
tape or any other external storage. Since the online backup has more than
2.5 times the size of the dump this will presumably be slower for the
online backup.
Recovering from a dump has the advantage that one gets fresh tables and
indices (so you save the next vacuuming and reindexing) but I doubt that's
worth an aditional hour offline.

Morus

Re: Online Backup and WAL archives

От
Pallav Kalva
Дата:

Tom Lane wrote:

>Morus Walter <morus.walter@tanto.de> writes:
>

>>The documentation says
>>' To make use of this backup, you will need to keep around all the
>>WAL segment files generated at or after the starting time of the backup. '
>>Now I'm wondering how much of these WAL segment files do I really need
>>in order to recover the databases to a consistent state.
>>

>If you are satisfied with recovering to the state shortly after you
>completed the backup, then it would be sufficient to have a set of WAL
>files spanning the time period in which the backup is done.  I'm dubious
>that this is necessarily an improvement over a pg_dump backup, though.
>

>>I expect the online backup to faster on recovery than an SQL dump, since
>>the latter would imply recreation of indexes during recovery.
>>

>Is that assumption founded on any hard evidence?
>
>            regards, tom lane

>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Online Backup and WAL archives

От
Morus Walter
Дата:
Pallav Kalva writes:

>     If I want to restore to a particular point in time lets say to the
> point in time like a day back when one of my table was dropped
> accidentally and if i want restore the archive log only to that
> particular archive log file . what is the procedure we should follow ?
> just keep the archive logs in the directory until the last archive log
> file i need or is there a command something like  " restore only until
> at this archive log file " ?   Also what happens to the transaction log
> files in pg_xlog directory in this scenario ? do i have to still keep
> them or they get created by themself since i am going a day back ?
>
>   Is this possible in postgres 8

Yes. That's what PITR is about. Read the manual for details.
If you look at the recovery.conf.sample you'll find a variable
recovery_target_time that must be set. Unless I missed something this
isn't explicitly stated in the docs but the comment in the sample conf
is pretty clear.
Alternatively you can define a transaction id (recovery_target_xid).

Of course you must have a backup created before the incident and all WALs
up to the time of the incident.

Morus

Re: Online Backup and WAL archives

От
Pallav Kalva
Дата:
yes, documentation points to the recovery_target_time(timestamp) option
in this regard, sorry i missed that. but there is one thing which is
still not clear to me is if we restore the database to some time back ,
what happens to WAL files in the pg_xlog  directory ? if we still keep
those files there,  arent they out of sync  ? since we are going back in
time and we dont need the WAL logs after the
recovery_target_time(timestamp), or  is it that restore command takes
care everything automatically ? the manual doesnt clearly say what
happens to the WAL logs in pg_xlog in case if we use the
recovery_target_time(timestamp)  option.

In Oracle i know that there is a option of resetting the logs if we have
to restore some time in back, not sure how it works in new Postgres 8.

Morus Walter wrote:

>Pallav Kalva writes:
>

>>    If I want to restore to a particular point in time lets say to the
>>point in time like a day back when one of my table was dropped
>>accidentally and if i want restore the archive log only to that
>>particular archive log file . what is the procedure we should follow ?
>>just keep the archive logs in the directory until the last archive log
>>file i need or is there a command something like  " restore only until
>>at this archive log file " ?   Also what happens to the transaction log
>>files in pg_xlog directory in this scenario ? do i have to still keep
>>them or they get created by themself since i am going a day back ?
>>
>>  Is this possible in postgres 8
>>

>Yes. That's what PITR is about. Read the manual for details.
>If you look at the recovery.conf.sample you'll find a variable
>recovery_target_time that must be set. Unless I missed something this
>isn't explicitly stated in the docs but the comment in the sample conf
>is pretty clear.
>Alternatively you can define a transaction id (recovery_target_xid).
>
>Of course you must have a backup created before the incident and all WALs
>up to the time of the incident.
>
>Morus

Re: Online Backup and WAL archives

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
>Pallav Kalva wrote
> yes, documentation points to the
> recovery_target_time(timestamp) option
> in this regard, sorry i missed that. but there is one thing which is
> still not clear to me is if we restore the database to some
> time back ,
> what happens to WAL files in the pg_xlog  directory ?

>if we
> still keep
> those files there,

The manual asks you not to do this, in 22.3.3 step 5
so why wonder too much about what will happen?

> arent they out of sync  ?

No.

> since we are
> going back in
> time and we dont need the WAL logs after the
> recovery_target_time(timestamp), or  is it that restore command takes
> care everything automatically ? the manual doesnt clearly say what
> happens to the WAL logs in pg_xlog in case if we use the
> recovery_target_time(timestamp)  option.

Read 22.3.4 and it will become clearer.

Better still, try it and see for yourself. About 3 times, so you're
certain you understand how it works before you begin using it and
relying on it.

The xlog filenames are prefixed by the timelineId, which prevents the
server from becoming confused about the files.

Best regards, Simon Riggs

Re: Online Backup and WAL archives

Дата: