Обсуждение: missing schemas from template1

missing schemas from template1

От
drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu
Дата:
Hi,

Our provider tries to install postgresql 8.0.0-rc1 on a s390 machine
(suse 7 or like). They compiled the source and installed it without
problems, and initdb looks to worked well too. But there is not any
schema in template1 database, so we can't really start our work.

Is it a known problem, is there a solution for it?

Daniel

Re: missing schemas from template1

Дата:
drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu writes:
> Our provider tries to install postgresql 8.0.0-rc1 on a s390 machine
> (suse 7 or like). They compiled the source and installed it without
> problems, and initdb looks to worked well too. But there is not any
> schema in template1 database, so we can't really start our work.

Uh ... what schemas are you expecting to find there?

            regards, tom lane

Re: missing schemas from template1

От
drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu
Дата:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> Uh ... what schemas are you expecting to find there?

In normal cases there are:

information_schema
pg_catalog
pg_temp1
pg_toast
public

schemas. Without them the database is not really usefull. When I
create the first database (as copy of template1 of course) it misses
those schemas. I don't know what is the normal way to create them if
`initdb' didn't do it (it just said it did...)

Daniel

Re: missing schemas from template1

Дата:
drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu writes:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Uh ... what schemas are you expecting to find there?

> In normal cases there are:

> information_schema
> pg_catalog
> pg_temp1
> pg_toast
> public

> schemas. Without them the database is not really usefull. When I
> create the first database (as copy of template1 of course) it misses
> those schemas. I don't know what is the normal way to create them if
> `initdb' didn't do it (it just said it did...)

It's difficult to believe that those aren't there, or that the database
would appear to work if they were not.  Are you able to do, say, "select
* from pg_namespace"?

            regards, tom lane

Re: missing schemas from template1

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 03:38:06PM +0100, drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu wrote:

> Our provider tries to install postgresql 8.0.0-rc1 on a s390 machine
> (suse 7 or like). They compiled the source and installed it without
> problems, and initdb looks to worked well too. But there is not any
> schema in template1 database, so we can't really start our work.

How are you determining that there are no schemas?  Might you be
using an old client that isn't schema-aware?  Schemas were added
in 7.3, as I recall.

This is a different issue, but you aren't trying to work in template1,
are you?  Template1 is the skeleton used when creating new databases --
you should be using CREATE DATABASE or createdb to create the database
you'll be working in.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: missing schemas from template1

От
drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu
Дата:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Michael Fuhr wrote:

> How are you determining that there are no schemas?  Might you be

Connecting with pgadmin3 to template1.

> This is a different issue, but you aren't trying to work in template1,
> are you?  Template1 is the skeleton used when creating new databases --
> you should be using CREATE DATABASE or createdb to create the database
> you'll be working in.

To create a new database (my one to work with) I have to connect to
template1. Creating a new database works wery well, it copies
template1 so the new db hasn't got any schema exactly as template1...

So the problem is that initdb has created an incomplete template1 so I
can't start my work. I don't know the reason (output of initdb
--mailed to me by the provider-- looks OK) and my problem is that I
don't know the solution... the biggest problem is that provider dosn't
know either:-(

I tried to dump out missing schemas from an other installation and
aply the dumps on the incorrect database but it failed.

Daniel

Re: missing schemas from template1

От
drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu
Дата:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> It's difficult to believe that those aren't there, or that the database

I think it is an initdb problem.

> would appear to work if they were not.

The databse is not useable, so that's right.

>  Are you able to do, say, "select
> * from pg_namespace"?

The system is closed, I have no access to it from home, so I can't try
it right now. The answer is surely no.

Daniel

Re: missing schemas from template1

Дата:
drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu writes:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It's difficult to believe that those aren't there, or that the database
>> would appear to work if they were not.

> The databse is not useable, so that's right.

>> Are you able to do, say, "select
>> * from pg_namespace"?

> The system is closed, I have no access to it from home, so I can't try
> it right now. The answer is surely no.

If not, why are you so certain that the problem is with missing schemas
and not something else?  I would think it would be impossible to do any
investigation at all, if the initial catalog contents are messed up that
badly.

            regards, tom lane

Re: missing schemas from template1

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 11:59, Tom Lane wrote:
> drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu writes:
> > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> It's difficult to believe that those aren't there, or that the database
> >> would appear to work if they were not.
>
> > The databse is not useable, so that's right.
>
> >> Are you able to do, say, "select
> >> * from pg_namespace"?
>
> > The system is closed, I have no access to it from home, so I can't try
> > it right now. The answer is surely no.
>
> If not, why are you so certain that the problem is with missing schemas
> and not something else?  I would think it would be impossible to do any
> investigation at all, if the initial catalog contents are messed up that
> badly.

Maybe the hosting company is running 7.2 or something like that?

Re: missing schemas from template1

От
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Дата:
Did you turn on the "view system objects" thingy in pgadmin3?  That's too
technical%|  Okay, I just checked and it's Display->System Objects.

                      Scott Marlowe

                      <smarlowe@g2switchwor        To:       Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>

                      ks.com>                      cc:       drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu,
pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
                      Sent by:                     Subject:  Re: [ADMIN] missing schemas from template1

                      pgsql-admin-owner@pos

                      tgresql.org

                      12/16/2004 01:05 PM

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 11:59, Tom Lane wrote:
> drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu writes:
> > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> It's difficult to believe that those aren't there, or that the
database
> >> would appear to work if they were not.
>
> > The databse is not useable, so that's right.
>
> >> Are you able to do, say, "select
> >> * from pg_namespace"?
>
> > The system is closed, I have no access to it from home, so I can't try
> > it right now. The answer is surely no.
>
> If not, why are you so certain that the problem is with missing schemas
> and not something else?  I would think it would be impossible to do any
> investigation at all, if the initial catalog contents are messed up that
> badly.

Maybe the hosting company is running 7.2 or something like that?

Re: missing schemas from template1

Дата:
drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu writes:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Michael Fuhr wrote:
>> How are you determining that there are no schemas?  Might you be

> Connecting with pgadmin3 to template1.

Perhaps you need a newer version of PGAdmin3.

            regards, tom lane