Обсуждение: Update from 7.3.3 to 7.3.6

Update from 7.3.3 to 7.3.6

От
"Mike Bell"
Дата:
Hi,

We are in the process of moving from PostgreSQL 7.3.3 to 7.3.6 (Red
Hat). However, we are having a number of problems importing the database
schema. Some of the SPs are written in TCL and it would seem that the
library has changed.

In the dump of the schema we have (comments removed for brevity):

CREATE TRUSTED PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql HANDLER plpgsql_call_handler;

CREATE FUNCTION pltcl_call_handler () RETURNS language_handler
    AS '$libdir/pltcl', 'pltcl_call_handler'
    LANGUAGE c;

CREATE TRUSTED PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE pltcl HANDLER pltcl_call_handler;

However, when importing we get:

ERROR:  stat failed on file '$libdir/pltcl': No such file or directory

What is the best way of sorting this out?

Cheers & TIA

Mike

Re: Update from 7.3.3 to 7.3.6

Дата:
"Mike Bell" <mike.bell@hashdefine.co.uk> writes:
> We are in the process of moving from PostgreSQL 7.3.3 to 7.3.6 (Red
> Hat). However, we are having a number of problems importing the database
> schema. Some of the SPs are written in TCL and it would seem that the
> library has changed.

> ERROR:  stat failed on file '$libdir/pltcl': No such file or directory

Hmm.  The most obvious question is did you remember to install the
postgresql-tcl RPM?

"pg_config --pkglibdir" will tell you what directory $libdir expands to,
and you can look in there to see if there's a pltcl.so or not.  It
appears from the above that the answer will be "not".

            regards, tom lane

Re: Update from 7.3.3 to 7.3.6

От
"Mike Bell"
Дата:
Tom,

Thanks for that.

It appears that the tcl support is there. However, the lib now appears
to be called:

./usr/lib/libpgtcl.so

Is this the same? I couldn't find documentation concerning the change in
file. If so then can I just edit the schema?

Cheers

Mike

> We are in the process of moving from PostgreSQL 7.3.3 to 7.3.6 (Red
> Hat). However, we are having a number of problems importing the
database
> schema. Some of the SPs are written in TCL and it would seem that the
> library has changed.

> ERROR:  stat failed on file '$libdir/pltcl': No such file or directory

Hmm.  The most obvious question is did you remember to install the
postgresql-tcl RPM?

"pg_config --pkglibdir" will tell you what directory $libdir expands to,
and you can look in there to see if there's a pltcl.so or not.  It
appears from the above that the answer will be "not".

            regards, tom lane

Re: Update from 7.3.3 to 7.3.6

Дата:
"Mike Bell" <mike.bell@hashdefine.co.uk> writes:
> It appears that the tcl support is there. However, the lib now appears
> to be called:
> ./usr/lib/libpgtcl.so
> Is this the same?

No, it's not the same at all.  That is a client-side library.

[ digs in RPM specfile ... ]  Oh, I misspoke.  It looks like pltcl lives
in the postgresql-pl RPM.  Did you install that one?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Update from 7.3.3 to 7.3.6

От
"Mike Bell"
Дата:
Yes, I believe so:

rpm -qa | grep -i postgresql

rh-postgresql-contrib-7.3.6-1_ts2.eduserv_1.rhel3
rh-postgresql-libs-7.3.6-1_ts2.eduserv_1.rhel3
rh-postgresql-tcl-7.3.6-1_ts2.eduserv_1.rhel3
rh-postgresql-devel-7.3.6-1_ts2.eduserv_1.rhel3
rh-postgresql-server-7.3.6-1_ts2.eduserv_1.rhel3
rh-postgresql-7.3.6-1_ts2.eduserv_1.rhel3
rh-postgresql-python-7.3.6-1_ts2.eduserv_1.rhel3
rh-postgresql-pl-7.3.6-1_ts2.eduserv_1.rhel3

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Mike
> It appears that the tcl support is there. However, the lib now appears
> to be called:
> ./usr/lib/libpgtcl.so
> Is this the same?

No, it's not the same at all.  That is a client-side library.

[ digs in RPM specfile ... ]  Oh, I misspoke.  It looks like pltcl lives
in the postgresql-pl RPM.  Did you install that one?

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Update from 7.3.3 to 7.3.6

Дата:
"Mike Bell" <mike.bell@hashdefine.co.uk> writes:
> Yes, I believe so:
> rpm -qa | grep -i postgresql
> rh-postgresql-pl-7.3.6-1_ts2.eduserv_1.rhel3

That one should certainly have installed pltcl.so for you.  Perhaps you
could use rpm -ql to find out where it put it?

I suspect that overall this is a problem of not having completely
replaced the old PG installation --- somehow you are picking up an
executable from the previous installation, or something like that.
But the exact problem isn't clear to me.

            regards, tom lane