Обсуждение: Mac OS 10.3.4: pgsql fails to launch at boot

Mac OS 10.3.4: pgsql fails to launch at boot

От
Randall Perry
Дата:
On searching the archives I noticed Bob Smith in Jul, 2002 had a similar
problem to mine, but never posted a solution.

I'm using pgsql 7.4.2 on Mac OS 10.3.4. I installed the startup script for
darwin from the contrib/start-scripts folder. On boot, pgsql startup fails
and I see this error in the pgsql logfile:

    bootstrap_look_up() failed (ipc/send) invalid destination port

After the machine has booted the same startup script works fine.

This appears to be a Mac OS issue. If anyone has any clue what's going on
please let me know.

I've gotten around the problem right now by putting a call to the startup
script directly in /etc/rc, as the last command.

--
Randall Perry
sysTame

Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location
Website Development/Promotion
Mac Consulting/Sales

http://www.systame.com/

Re: Mac OS 10.3.4: pgsql fails to launch at boot

От
Jeff Self
Дата:
On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 10:28, Randall Perry wrote:
> On searching the archives I noticed Bob Smith in Jul, 2002 had a similar
> problem to mine, but never posted a solution.
>
> I'm using pgsql 7.4.2 on Mac OS 10.3.4. I installed the startup script for
> darwin from the contrib/start-scripts folder. On boot, pgsql startup fails
> and I see this error in the pgsql logfile:
>
>     bootstrap_look_up() failed (ipc/send) invalid destination port
>
> After the machine has booted the same startup script works fine.
>
> This appears to be a Mac OS issue. If anyone has any clue what's going on
> please let me know.
>
> I've gotten around the problem right now by putting a call to the startup
> script directly in /etc/rc, as the last command.

I've never run into this myself.  Did you install from source or use
Mark Liyanage's package?  His package is at
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/

Very easy installation if you're willing to start over.
--
Jeff Self
Dept. of Information Technology

Re: Mac OS 10.3.4: pgsql fails to launch at boot

От
Randall Perry
Дата:
on 6/7/04 12:57 PM, Jeff Self at jself@nngov.com wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 10:28, Randall Perry wrote:
>> On searching the archives I noticed Bob Smith in Jul, 2002 had a similar
>> problem to mine, but never posted a solution.
>>
>> I'm using pgsql 7.4.2 on Mac OS 10.3.4. I installed the startup script for
>> darwin from the contrib/start-scripts folder. On boot, pgsql startup fails
>> and I see this error in the pgsql logfile:
>>
>>     bootstrap_look_up() failed (ipc/send) invalid destination port
>>
>> After the machine has booted the same startup script works fine.
>>
>> This appears to be a Mac OS issue. If anyone has any clue what's going on
>> please let me know.
>>
>> I've gotten around the problem right now by putting a call to the startup
>> script directly in /etc/rc, as the last command.
>
> I've never run into this myself.  Did you install from source or use
> Mark Liyanage's package?  His package is at
> http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/
>
> Very easy installation if you're willing to start over.

I've been rolling my own PostgreSQL for quite a while. AFICT there's nothing
wrong with the installation; there's just something wrong with SystemStarter
and pgsql.

--
Randall Perry
sysTame

Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location
Website Development/Promotion
Mac Consulting/Sales

http://www.systame.com/

Re: Mac OS 10.3.4: pgsql fails to launch at boot

От
Jose' Cruanyes
Дата:
probably the scripts kicks in too early because the
"StartupParameters.plist" file is not correct

here's mine
---------------
{
   Description      = "PostGreSQL RDBMS";
   Provides         = ("PostGreSQL");
   Requires         = ("Network", "Resolver");
   Uses             = ("Network Time", "NFS");
   OrderPreference  = "Last";
   Messages         =
    {
       start = "Starting PostGreSQL Services";
       stop  = "Stopping PostGreSQL Services";
    };
}
---------------

and for completeness here is the SystemStarter script

-----------
#!/bin/sh

startPG ()
{
sudo -u pgsql /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data -l /var/log/postgres/postgres.log -o -i

    /bin/sleep 1 # Just for flashing the note
}

stopPG ()
{
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data stop
}

if /bin/test "$1" = "start"
then
    startPG
elif /bin/test "$1" = "stop"
then
    stopPG
fi
-----------
may be is not the best system posible but it works well in several tens
of servers now

On Jun 7, 2004, at 7:49 PM, Randall Perry wrote:

> on 6/7/04 12:57 PM, Jeff Self at jself@nngov.com wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 10:28, Randall Perry wrote:
>>> On searching the archives I noticed Bob Smith in Jul, 2002 had a
>>> similar
>>> problem to mine, but never posted a solution.
>>>
>>> I'm using pgsql 7.4.2 on Mac OS 10.3.4. I installed the startup
>>> script for
>>> darwin from the contrib/start-scripts folder. On boot, pgsql startup
>>> fails
>>> and I see this error in the pgsql logfile:
>>>
>>>     bootstrap_look_up() failed (ipc/send) invalid destination port
>>>
>>> After the machine has booted the same startup script works fine.
>>>
>>> This appears to be a Mac OS issue. If anyone has any clue what's
>>> going on
>>> please let me know.
>>>
>>> I've gotten around the problem right now by putting a call to the
>>> startup
>>> script directly in /etc/rc, as the last command.
>>
>> I've never run into this myself.  Did you install from source or use
>> Mark Liyanage's package?  His package is at
>> http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/
>>
>> Very easy installation if you're willing to start over.
>
> I've been rolling my own PostgreSQL for quite a while. AFICT there's
> nothing
> wrong with the installation; there's just something wrong with
> SystemStarter
> and pgsql.
>
> --
> Randall Perry
> sysTame
>
> Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location
> Website Development/Promotion
> Mac Consulting/Sales
>
> http://www.systame.com/

Pax et Bonum

# dott. Jose' Cruanyes Aguilar  -  C.E. Soft srl
#  Pzza. Firenze,4 MILANO  -  XX Settembre 10, CREMONA
#   02,33603122                0372,460602

Re: Mac OS 10.3.4: pgsql fails to launch at boot

От
Kurt Watson
Дата:
Jose' Cruanyes wrote:
> probably the scripts kicks in too early because the
> "StartupParameters.plist" file is not correct
SNIP

SNIP

One related tip, maybe everyone already knows this. You can call
SystemStarter -nd to have SystemStarter run through in debug mode. This
is  a pretty good way to see what is running when.
I agree with Jose Cruanyes, it's probably just the .plist preference for
launch order. I've seen "late" and "last" both used.

Good luck, please reply if that fixed it.