Обсуждение: Error running initdb

Error running initdb

От
"David Parker"
Дата:
I'm new to postgresql, first of all, and I'm not sure if this is the
correct list....

I have built 7.4.2 on Solaris 8/SPARC. I *think* "make install"
generated all the expected
artifacts.

When I run initdb, I get the following output:

% initdb -D /home/dparker/servers/install/data/testdb1
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"dparker".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory
/home/dparker/servers/install/data/testdb1... ok
creating directory /home/dparker/servers/install/data/testdb1/base... ok
creating directory /home/dparker/servers/install/data/testdb1/global...
ok
creating directory /home/dparker/servers/install/data/testdb1/pg_xlog...
ok
creating directory /home/dparker/servers/install/data/testdb1/pg_clog...
ok
selecting default max_connections... 100
selecting default shared_buffers... 1000
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in
/home/dparker/servers/install/data/testdb1/base/1... ok
initializing pg_shadow... ok
enabling unlimited row size for system tables... ok
initializing pg_depend... ok
creating system views... ok
creating conversions... ERROR:  could not access file
"$libdir/ascii_and_mic": No such file or directory

initdb: failed

The ascii_and_mic.so is in $PREFIX/lib/postgresql. I've tried copying it
up one level, and also tried including that path in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The
value for $libdir in config.status appears to be correct.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something obvious. Can somebody give me a
clue where to look?

Thanks!

-  DAP
David Parker    Tazz Networks    (401) 709-5130

Re: Error running initdb

От
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Дата:
"David Parker" <dparker@tazznetworks.com> wrote:

> I'm new to postgresql, first of all, and I'm not sure if this is the
> correct list....
>
> I have built 7.4.2 on Solaris 8/SPARC. I *think* "make install"
> generated all the expected
> artifacts.
>
> When I run initdb, I get the following output:
>
> % initdb -D /home/dparker/servers/install/data/testdb1
[snip]
> creating conversions... ERROR:  could not access file
> "$libdir/ascii_and_mic": No such file or directory
>
> initdb: failed
>
> The ascii_and_mic.so is in $PREFIX/lib/postgresql. I've tried copying it
> up one level, and also tried including that path in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The
> value for $libdir in config.status appears to be correct.
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm missing something obvious. Can somebody give me a
> clue where to look?
[snip]

Had you searched the mailing list's archives, you would've seen
this...

| From jseymour Tue May  4 19:26:27 2004
| To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
| Subject: Re: [ADMIN] initdb error
|
| "Kevin Schroeder" <kschroeder@mirageworks.com> wrote:
| >
| > Hello,
| >     I'm trying to install PostgreSQL on Solaris 9.  Everything's compiled
| > properly but when I run initdb I get the following error:
| >
| [snip]
| > creating conversions... ERROR:  could not load library
| > "/usr/local/pgsql/lib/ascii_and_mic.so": ld.so.1:
| > /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open failed: No such
| > file or directory
| >
| > I found libgcc_s.so.1 in /usr/local/lib and that directory is in
| > $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Is there anything that I'm missing here or that I need to
| > look for in my configure settings?
|
| Is that directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH when you're su'd to the postgreSQL
| user?
|
| I added
|
|     LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
|
| to /etc/init.d/postgresql and created a .profile in its home directory
| with that in it.
|
| Solved all those problems :).
|
| You can also solve such problems by using the -R switch during build
| (man ld) and with Solaris 8/9's new "crle" utility.

Jim

Re: Error running initdb

От
"David Parker"
Дата:
Thanks for the response. As it happens, I DID search the archives, but
did not see this post. I saw a couple of related questions with no
follow-up answers....

I am not running this under a separate username, so the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
set in my own .cshrc should apply, I would think. Does
/etc/init.d/postgresql still need to be modified, even if there is no
special postgresql user?

- DAP

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Error running initdb

От
jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Дата:
"David Parker" <dparker@tazznetworks.com> wrote:

[snip]

> I am not running this under a separate username, so the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> set in my own .cshrc should apply, I would think. Does
> /etc/init.d/postgresql still need to be modified, even if there is no
> special postgresql user?
[snip]

/etc/init.d/postgresql?  Erm, that's a system startup script, which
will be run by root.  You're not running pgsql as root, are you?  Or
you're saying pgsql is being run under your user i.d.?  Either way: I
think the answer to your question is "Yes."

Anyway, you were talking about initdb, not postmaster startup at boot.
If you're setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH and there's not a permissions
problem, that should be sufficient.

Jim

Re: Error running initdb

От
"David Parker"
Дата:
The reference to /etc/init.d/postgresql was taken from the posting you
pointed me to - I was just trying to determine what part, if any, of
that posting was relevant to my problem.

Running configure with "--without-rpath" seems to have fixed the
problem.

Thanks.

- DAP

> I am not running this under a separate username, so the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in my own .cshrc should apply, I would think. Does

> /etc/init.d/postgresql still need to be modified, even if there is no
> special postgresql user?
[snip]

/etc/init.d/postgresql?  Erm, that's a system startup script, which will
be run by root.  You're not running pgsql as root, are you?  Or you're
saying pgsql is being run under your user i.d.?  Either way: I think the
answer to your question is "Yes."

Anyway, you were talking about initdb, not postmaster startup at boot.
If you're setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH and there's not a permissions problem,
that should be sufficient.

Jim

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend