Обсуждение: tcl-devel build dependencies for 7.4.2

tcl-devel build dependencies for 7.4.2

От
"Donald Fraser"
Дата:
I am trying to build Postgres 7.4.2 from the source rpm on Red Hat Linux 7.1
2.96-98

I get the following error message:
[root@CISX_Linux1 usr]# rpmbuild --rebuild postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG.src.rpm
Installing postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG.src.rpm
error: failed build dependencies:
        tcl-devel is needed by postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG

My problem is that I can't find a binary or a source for tcl-devel for Red Hat
Linux 7.1.
My current version of tcltk is 8.3.3.
I tried the Fedora core 1 source from Red Hat (tcltk-8.3.5-93.src.rpm) but that
fails miserably....

Does anyone know how to get around this problem or alternatively are there any
Red Hat 7.1 binaries for PostgreSQL 7.4.2?

Thanks in advance
Donald Fraser

Re: tcl-devel build dependencies for 7.4.2

Дата:
"Donald Fraser" <demolish@cwgsy.net> writes:
> I am trying to build Postgres 7.4.2 from the source rpm on Red Hat Linux 7.1
> 2.96-98

> error: failed build dependencies:
>         tcl-devel is needed by postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG

This dependency is bogus; it doesn't apply to RHL 7.1.  The easiest
solution is to just add --nodeps and build anyway.  I believe if you
use the appropriate -D to tell the RPM specfile you're on RHL 7, it
will suppress the build dependency; but you'd have to look at the
specfile to figure out what symbol to define, 'cause I don't recall
offhand ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: tcl-devel build dependencies for 7.4.2

От
"Donald Fraser"
Дата:
> > I am trying to build Postgres 7.4.2 from the source rpm on Red Hat Linux
7.1
> > 2.96-98
>>
> > error: failed build dependencies:
> >         tcl-devel is needed by postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG
>
> This dependency is bogus; it doesn't apply to RHL 7.1.  The easiest
> solution is to just add --nodeps and build anyway.  I believe if you
> use the appropriate -D to tell the RPM specfile you're on RHL 7, it
> will suppress the build dependency; but you'd have to look at the
> specfile to figure out what symbol to define, 'cause I don't recall
> offhand ...

Thanks - that got things going for me.
Unfortunately it fails to complete the configure script due to the following
messages
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking Python installation directories... Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named distutils
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named distutils
/usr/
checking how to link an embedded Python application... no
configure: error: Python Makefile not found

I'm not sure what those messages mean except that may be I need to upgrade my
python version.
I have previously built the Postgresql rpms from the source for version 7.3.4
without any problems on the this same machine.
Is there a minimum requirements list for building rpms from source anywhere - I
can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't complete?

Thanks again
Donald Fraser

Re: tcl-devel build dependencies for 7.4.2

Дата:
"Donald Fraser" <demolish@cwgsy.net> writes:
> Thanks - that got things going for me.
> Unfortunately it fails to complete the configure script due to the following
> messages
> [ python problems... ]

Hm, python is outside my sphere of expertise :-(

You're asking on quite the wrong list though.  Try pgsql-hackers.
In fact you might have to go to the python mailing lists, because
to the extent I can make any sense of these error messages, they
suggest a python misinstallation problem...

            regards, tom lane

Re: tcl-devel build dependencies for 7.4.2

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Tuesday 13 April 2004 16:43, Donald Fraser wrote:
> I am trying to build Postgres 7.4.2 from the source rpm on Red Hat Linux
> 7.1 2.96-98

While I do test builds on a Red Hat 7.3 compatible system, I do not do so on a
7.1 system.  Sorry.

> I get the following error message:
> [root@CISX_Linux1 usr]# rpmbuild --rebuild postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG.src.rpm
> Installing postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG.src.rpm
> error: failed build dependencies:
>         tcl-devel is needed by postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG

rpmbuild --rebuild --define 'build7x 1' postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG.src.rpm

But you might find other things broken, like Python.  You can remove the whole
python client build if you wish (and don't need a python client) by passing
'python 0' as a --define.  AFAIK that will work on RHL7.1.  YMMV.

I am testing some scripts/macros that will automatically figure out the
system; they are not production ready yet.

> My problem is that I can't find a binary or a source for tcl-devel for Red
> Hat Linux 7.1.

The package doesn't exist in the 7.x series.  All you need is the main tcl
package in 7.x, and the build7x macro in the spec file takes care of that.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology

Re: tcl-devel build dependencies for 7.4.2

От
"Donald Fraser"
Дата:
> On Tuesday 13 April 2004 16:43, Donald Fraser wrote:
> > I am trying to build Postgres 7.4.2 from the source rpm on Red Hat Linux
> > 7.1 2.96-98
>
> While I do test builds on a Red Hat 7.3 compatible system, I do not do so on
> 7.1 system.  Sorry.
>
> > I get the following error message:
> > [root@CISX_Linux1 usr]# rpmbuild --rebuild postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG.src.rpm
> > Installing postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG.src.rpm
> > error: failed build dependencies:
> >         tcl-devel is needed by postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild --define 'build7x 1' postgresql-7.4.2-1PGDG.src.rpm
>
> But you might find other things broken, like Python.  You can remove the
whole
> python client build if you wish (and don't need a python client) by passing
> 'python 0' as a --define.  AFAIK that will work on RHL7.1.  YMMV.
>
> I am testing some scripts/macros that will automatically figure out the
> system; they are not production ready yet.
>
> > My problem is that I can't find a binary or a source for tcl-devel for Red
> > Hat Linux 7.1.
>
> The package doesn't exist in the 7.x series.  All you need is the main tcl
> package in 7.x, and the build7x macro in the spec file takes care of that.
> --
> Lamar Owen

Thanks for the reply Lamar.
By about midnight last night after giving up on most other ideas I read through
the build spec. file and found the parameter build7x option. Additionally I
found that I could disable the python compilation as you proposed... Wish I had
read through that file first!

Regards
Donald Fraser