Обсуждение: Maximum Number Tables

Maximum Number Tables

От
"Ashvinder Singh"
Дата:
Hi All,
I have a query.
What is the maximum number of tables I can have in a PGSql Database, without affecting performance?
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ashvinder

Re: Maximum Number Tables

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 00:28, Ashvinder Singh wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a query.
> What is the maximum number of tables I can have in a PGSql Database,
> without affecting performance?
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards,
> Ashvinder

The number of tables is irrelevant, it's whats stored in the tables and
how you plan on using them that makes the difference. And even then it's
dependent on your hardware more than PostgreSQL itself.

Robert Treat

Re: Maximum Number Tables

Дата:
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 00:28, Ashvinder Singh wrote:
>> What is the maximum number of tables I can have in a PGSql Database,
>> without affecting performance?

> The number of tables is irrelevant,

Not necessarily ... if you are using a filesystem in which directory
lookups in large directories are inefficient, you could have a problem,
since each table will correspond to a file within the database
directory.  If you're planning on having more than a few thousand
tables you'll want to choose a filesystem that copes well with large
directories.

But having said that, an application that needs several thousand
distinct tables is usually an application that needs a redesign.
Consider folding the data into fewer tables with more key columns.

            regards, tom lane