Обсуждение: Raw vs Filesystem

Raw vs Filesystem

От
Terry Hampton
Дата:
    Hello  Jaime,

    I think you're on the right track but have gotten some
    concepts possibly confused.

    As I remember,   the original email asked if Postgres
    could be run in a "raw" mode.   Another submitter
    told us that it can not.   ( Did I read that correctly, everyone ? )

    This means run Postgress in a raw or character mode versus
    the "standard" block mode as you would handle other files
    in a filesystem.     The primary advantage for a raw mode
    is speed.  ORACLE allows this method of operation.

    So ... your last question is now rather moot.   For best
    performance assure your setup parameters and Linux
    kernel parameters are optimized.      Help with that
    is a few keystrokes from anywhere.

                Terry

--
Terry L. Hampton
Project Manager

Re: Raw vs Filesystem

От
"Jaime Casanova"
Дата:
ok. if i don't misunderstand you (english is not my mother tongue, so i can
be wrong). your point is that speed is not necesarily performance, that's
right.

so, the real question is what is the best filesystem for optimal speed in
postgresql?

Re: Raw vs Filesystem

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
el_vigia_ec@hotmail.com ("Jaime Casanova") asked:
> so, the real question is what is the best filesystem for optimal speed
> in postgresql?

The smart-alec answer would be... "Veritas, of course!"

But seriously, it depends on many factors you have not provided
information about.

-> Different operating systems support different filesystems; you
   should probably specify what OS you are using.

-> Hardware choices have ENORMOUSLY more impact on speed than any
   choice of filesystems.

If your hardware is too slow, changing filesystems will not help you.

And you would be _way_ better off with a filesystem that is 3% slower
if it improves reliability by a significant factor.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/lsf.html

Re: Raw vs Filesystem