Обсуждение: lost database

lost database

От
Jodi Kanter
Дата:
I am working with someone who has been running creating and maintaining his own database. He somehow managed to blow away his database and needs to restore. However, he has not been running regular dumps because he figured the tape backups were enough.
Is there anyway that I can assist him in retreiving his tables from backup tapes? I am not sure how or where that data is stored.
Thanks
Jodi Kanter
--

_______________________________
Jodi L Kanter

Postgres grabbing an old shared object

От
Kris Kiger
Дата:
Is there a way to force a shared object to reload?  I've compiled a new
version of a .so, but postgres seems to be pulling the old version out
of memory.  I've tried deleting the .so and recompiling it, but postgres
is insistant, for some reason, of using the old version.  Any ideas?
 Thanks for the help

Kris

Re: lost database

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Jodi Kanter wrote:
> Is there anyway that I can assist him in retreiving his tables from
> backup tapes? I am not sure how or where that data is stored.

Tell us more about how the backup was made, then we can tell you more
about how to restore it.

Re: Postgres grabbing an old shared object

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Kris Kiger wrote:
> Is there a way to force a shared object to reload?  I've compiled a
> new version of a .so, but postgres seems to be pulling the old
> version out of memory.  I've tried deleting the .so and recompiling
> it, but postgres is insistant, for some reason, of using the old
> version.  Any ideas? Thanks for the help

Use the LOAD command or just restart the session.

Re: Postgres grabbing an old shared object

От
"Glenn Wiorek"
Дата:
Is it a postgres shared object only?  Then shuting down and restarting
postgres should have worked.  If it is a OS shared object then my best guess
is postgres will see it already in memory and not reload the object/lib.  In
which case you will need to bounce the OS.  Is it possible another program
is also using that object?  Then shuting that program down also and
restarting postgres may do the trick.

One thing though, if the OS or another program is also using that shared
object isn't there a risk to having a newer version being loaded by postgres
affect other things?

> Is there a way to force a shared object to reload?  I've compiled a new
> version of a .so, but postgres seems to be pulling the old version out
> of memory.  I've tried deleting the .so and recompiling it, but postgres
> is insistant, for some reason, of using the old version.  Any ideas?
>  Thanks for the help
>
> Kris

Re: lost database

От
Jodi Kanter
Дата:
I am not sure I understand your question. why does the type of backup matter? It is a tape backup and it includes the entire /var directory where the pgsql directory exists. I am trying to determine what particular files need to be retrieved in order to restore the database as it existed yesterday. Is this possible?
Thanks for the assistance.
Jodi

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Jodi Kanter wrote:
Is there anyway that I can assist him in retreiving his tables from
backup tapes? I am not sure how or where that data is stored.
Tell us more about how the backup was made, then we can tell you more
about how to restore it.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

--

_______________________________
Jodi L Kanter
BioInformatics Database Administrator
University of Virginia
(434) 924-2846
jkanter@virginia.edu

Re: Postgres grabbing an old shared object

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
Kris Kiger wrote:

> Is there a way to force a shared object to reload?  I've compiled a new
> version of a .so, but postgres seems to be pulling the old version out
> of memory.  I've tried deleting the .so and recompiling it, but postgres
> is insistant, for some reason, of using the old version.  Any ideas?
> Thanks for the help

See the LOAD command:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-load.html

Joe

Re: lost database

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Jodi Kanter wrote:
> I am not sure I understand your question. why does the type of backup
> matter? It is a tape backup and it includes the entire /var directory
> where the pgsql directory exists.

That was the missing piece of information.

> I am trying to determine what
> particular files need to be retrieved in order to restore the
> database as it existed yesterday. Is this possible?
> Thanks for the assistance.

Shut down the server if still running, put back the entire data
directory (probably /var/lib/pgsql in your case), and start the server.
Partial restoration is not possibly from file system backup.

Re: lost database

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
Jodi Kanter wrote:
> I am not sure I understand your question. why does the type of backup
> matter? It is a tape backup and it includes the entire /var directory
> where the pgsql directory exists. I am trying to determine what
> particular files need to be retrieved in order to restore the database
> as it existed yesterday. Is this possible?
> Thanks for the assistance.

Restore the entire $PGDATA directory. If this is a default Red Hat
system that would be something like /var/lib/pgsql/data

HTH,

Joe

Re: lost database

От
Naomi Walker
Дата:
I'm assuming you are using pg_dumpall for your backups.  In that case, i'd restore the instance somewhere else, and pg_dump the one database.

I am working with someone who has been running creating and maintaining his own database. He somehow managed to blow away his database and needs to restore. However, he has not been running regular dumps because he figured the tape backups were enough.
Is there anyway that I can assist him in retreiving his tables from backup tapes? I am not sure how or where that data is stored.
Thanks
Jodi Kanter
--

_______________________________
Jodi L Kanter
BioInformatics Database Administrator
University of Virginia
(434) 924-2846
jkanter@virginia.edu

Naomi Walker                         Chief Information Officer
                                              Eldorado Computing, Inc.
nwalker@eldocomp.com           602-604-3100
Never eat more than you can lift.  - Miss Piggy

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.