Обсуждение: Case Insensitive comparison

Case Insensitive comparison

От
"George A.J"
Дата:
hai

i am using postgresql 7.3.x. I am converting a database in MS SQL server to PostgreSQL.

The main problems i am facing is that in sql server the text comparisons are case insensitive. how can i compare text case insensitive in postgresql without using an upper() or lower() function in both sides (=). Is there any option to set in postgresql?
Is there any problem in overriding the = operator that compare text. ie droping the current operator = and creating a new = operator(text,text). Does the existing = operator is using internally by postgres for some porpose. please help

Another problem is in creating function...
How can i create a function that accept and return any type. the type "any" is not allowing as parameter or return type. Is it possible? i want to create a function similar to NULLIF().

jinujose

Do you Yahoo!?

Re: Case Insensitive comparison

От
"Donald Fraser"
Дата:
----- Original Message -----
From: George A.J
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 4:39 AM
Subject: [ADMIN] Case Insensitive comparison

>hai
>
>i am using postgresql 7.3.x. I am converting a database in MS SQL server to
PostgreSQL.

>The main problems i am facing is that in sql server the text comparisons are
case insensitive. how can i compare text case insensitive in postgresql
>without using an upper() or lower() function in both sides (=). Is there any
option to set in postgresql?
>Is there any problem in overriding the = operator that compare text. ie
droping the current operator = and creating a new = operator(text,text). Does
>the existing = operator is using internally by postgres for some porpose.
please help

I have created a text data type which is case-insensitive. Everything is
identical to type text in all other respects. If you would like I can email you
the library files to make and install it.

Regards
Donald Fraser

Re: Case Insensitive comparison

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
Any chance of those libs being put somewhere public (gborg.postgresql.org
or something?)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Donald Fraser wrote:

> [...]

Дата:
Ok I will have a look at how to put it on gborg.

Regards
Donald Fraser

> Any chance of those libs being put somewhere public (gborg.postgresql.org
> or something?)
>
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Donald Fraser wrote:

Дата:
Ok I have started the process... I now have to wait for GBorg to get back to me
on whether they want it on the site our not.

Regards
Donald Fraser