Обсуждение: Report Generator Proposal

Report Generator Proposal

От
"Gaetano Mendola"
Дата:
Hi all,
each time that someone say: this query is slow, this query take forever, bla
bla bla
all our request are:

1) Which version are you running ?
2) May I see your table definition?
3) May I see you configuration file?
4) May I see the explain ?
5) .......

sometimes a beginner is scared about all these questions and even
he/she don't know how do collect these informations and we lose
important data about:  "why that damn query is too slow"?

may be is usefull generate an automatic report that take charge
of collect all these informations and send it to a file or directly to
pgsql-performance@postgresql.org , may be something like:

> BEGIN REPORT TO FILE <file_name>
> SELECT ......
> END REPORT;

or

> BEGIN REPORT TO EMAIL <address>
> SELECT ......
> END REPORT;

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Report Generator Proposal

От
"Gaetano Mendola"
Дата:
Nobody entusiastic ? I'm wrong about my feeling ?
I think that have the psql able to generate a report
will increase the our better response to a user novice
or not ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

> each time that someone say: this query is slow, this query take forever,
bla
> bla bla
> all our request are:
>
> 1) Which version are you running ?
> 2) May I see your table definition?
> 3) May I see you configuration file?
> 4) May I see the explain ?
> 5) .......
>
> sometimes a beginner is scared about all these questions and even
> he/she don't know how do collect these informations and we lose
> important data about:  "why that damn query is too slow"?
>

> may be is usefull generate an automatic report that take charge
> of collect all these informations and send it to a file or directly to
> pgsql-performance@postgresql.org , may be something like:
>

> > BEGIN REPORT TO FILE <file_name>
> > SELECT ......
> > END REPORT;
>

> or
>

> > BEGIN REPORT TO EMAIL <address>
> > SELECT ......
> > END REPORT;
>

> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Report Generator Proposal

От
"Gaetano Mendola"
> Nobody entusiastic ? I'm wrong about my feeling ?
> I think that have the psql able to generate a report
> will increase the our better response to a user novice
> or not ?
>

> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola

"Matt Clark"
Дата:
I rather like it actually.  Cisco equipment has a 'show tech-support' command that does exactly that, dumps all the
config,HW/SW
versions, current state, you name it.  If you have a problem you run that, attach the output to yr support email, and
99%of the
time there's enough info there to solve the problem.

It'd be easy to automate all except the explain, a script that did everything else could then emit "If your preoblem
relatesto a
specific query, then run 'explain analyze <query>' and attach it to your message as well".

Дата:
""Matt Clark"" <matt@ymogen.net> wrote:
> It'd be easy to automate all except the explain, a script that did
everything else could then emit "If your preoblem relates to a
> specific query, then run 'explain analyze <query>' and attach it to your
message as well".

Well, must be charge of psql store somewhere all selects performed
between the BEGIN REPORT and END REPORT and perform
the explain command of that selects with the explain; may be the really
difficult here is that psql
shall know all tables involved in a select and insert in the report the
descriptions of that tables.
Before to work on it I want be sure that is a good idea.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

majordomo@postgresql.org

Re: Report Generator Proposal

От
kaolin fire
Дата:
On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 02:06  PM, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> ""Matt Clark"" <matt@ymogen.net> wrote:
>> It'd be easy to automate all except the explain, a script that did
> everything else could then emit "If your preoblem relates to a
>> specific query, then run 'explain analyze <query>' and attach it to
>> your
> message as well".
>
> Well, must be charge of psql store somewhere all selects performed
> between the BEGIN REPORT and END REPORT and perform
> the explain command of that selects with the explain; may be the really
> difficult here is that psql
> shall know all tables involved in a select and insert in the report the
> descriptions of that tables.
> Before to work on it I want be sure that is a good idea.
>
> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola

sounds good.  maybe with the option (enabled by default?) to only show
the columns used in the queries for the tables pulled.  ((wheat from
chaff and all that))

hmm.  though there's still the (some small percentage of) things that
could be going wrong with custom stored procedures.  dumping those
would be (I'm presuming, based on the scope of the task as it's been
described) reasonably simply, but figuring out what they touch could be
prohibitive?

kudos for any attempt, though, all around. :)

-kaolin fire
-postgresql novice
-http://poemranker.com

Re: Report Generator Proposal

От
"Somasekhar Bangalore"
Дата:
Sounds good ...it will save lot of emails floating around and time..

Regards,
Somasekhar Bangalore
Principal Software Engineer
ZenSutra Software Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Suite 601, HM Geneva House
#14, Cunningham Road
Bangalore 560-052, India

Ph:+91-80-235-0481
Fax:+91-80-235-0486
Email: sbangalore@zensutra.com

Weaving the knowledge tapestry'

I rather like it actually.  Cisco equipment has a 'show tech-support' command that does exactly that, dumps all the
config,HW/SW
versions, current state, you name it.  If you have a problem you run that, attach the output to yr support email, and
99%of the
time there's enough info there to solve the problem.

It'd be easy to automate all except the explain, a script that did everything else could then emit "If your preoblem
relatesto a
specific query, then run 'explain analyze <query>' and attach it to your message as well".

      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Report Generator Proposal

От
"skennedy"
Дата:
Oracle have something similar: RDA which generates  HTML reports for the hardware, SO, and database.
It doesn't do explains but does show which SQLs are the most expensive, etc.

It could be worth having a look at that for ideas on what and how to report it.

Stephen.

#14, Cunningham Road
Bangalore 560-052, India

[...]

TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your     joining column's datatypes do not match

              http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Report Generator Proposal

От
Mauricio de Castro
Дата:
Report Generator in PHP-GTK that work with Pear-db. It's very easy for
users...

http://agata.codigolivre.org.br

Creator: Pablo (pablo@php.net)

[]s
Mauricio

On Monday 15 September 2003 18:25, kaolin fire wrote:
> On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 02:06  PM, Gaetano Mendola wrote:
> > ""Matt Clark"" <matt@ymogen.net> wrote:
> >> It'd be easy to automate all except the explain, a script that did
> >
> > everything else could then emit "If your preoblem relates to a
> >
> >> specific query, then run 'explain analyze <query>' and attach it to
> >> your
> >
> > message as well".
> >
> > Well, must be charge of psql store somewhere all selects performed
> > between the BEGIN REPORT and END REPORT and perform
> > the explain command of that selects with the explain; may be the really
> > difficult here is that psql
> > shall know all tables involved in a select and insert in the report the
> > descriptions of that tables.
> > Before to work on it I want be sure that is a good idea.
> >
> > Regards
> > Gaetano Mendola
>
> sounds good.  maybe with the option (enabled by default?) to only show
> the columns used in the queries for the tables pulled.  ((wheat from
> chaff and all that))
>
> hmm.  though there's still the (some small percentage of) things that
> could be going wrong with custom stored procedures.  dumping those
> would be (I'm presuming, based on the scope of the task as it's been
> described) reasonably simply, but figuring out what they touch could be
> prohibitive?
>
> kudos for any attempt, though, all around. :)
>
> -kaolin fire
> -postgresql novice
> -http://poemranker.com

Maurício de Castro
Coordenador de Desenvolvimento em Software Livre
SOLIS - Cooperativa de Soluções Livres
http://www.solis.coop.br

Re: Report Generator Proposal

От
"Mendola Gaetano"
Дата:
"Mauricio de Castro" <mcastro@solis.coop.br> wrote:
> Report Generator in PHP-GTK that work with Pear-db. It's very easy for
> users...

I was thinking to generate the report with the psql, not with an external
program, somethink like this:

Welcome to psql 7.X, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

test=# BEGIN REPORT TO my_report_file;