Обсуждение: Backup and Restore

Backup and Restore

От
"David A. Leedom"
Дата:
I am using 7.2.x. When I run pg_dump on a database the objects are not
loaded in the correct dependency order.

Soooo.... when I run pg_restore it fails because objects that are needed
have not been restored yet (ie.  trieds to restore a view that points to a
table that has not yet been restored).  I then monkey around with the Table
of Contents (TOC) and am able to get the restore to work.

In the middle of a disaster I don't want to have to mess to the TOC.

What are others doing who are running into this situation.

Thanks,
Dave Leedom

The Hightower Group, Inc.
Information Technology Consulting

165 West Airport Road/Lititz, PA 17543
V:717-560-4002, 877-560-4002 x: 114
F:717-560-2825
www.hightowergroup.com

---

Re: Backup and Restore

От
"Mendola Gaetano"
Дата:
This is a well known issue, you can change Postgress
version to 7.3.3 and the pg_dump on that version is
more smart.

Gaetano

[...]

Дата:
But I have blobs in my data so I am using -F c

At 01:22 PM 6/5/2003 -0700, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

The Hightower Group, Inc.
Information Technology Consulting

165 West Airport Road/Lititz, PA 17543
V:717-560-4002, 877-560-4002 x: 114
F:717-560-2825
www.hightowergroup.com

---

Re: Backup and Restore

От
Jonathan Gardner
Дата:

Re: Backup and Restore

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Dave-

I ran into this recently & made a similar inquiry of the list. Apparently
the pg_restore dependency problems are known issues, but not fixed in 7.2. I
haven't looked to see if it is fixed in 7.3 yet.

In our case, space was not an issue and backups run quickly enough that I
just do two backups each night- one to tar format in case I want to restore
individual tables, and one to text format so I can do a complete restore
with ease.

Before taking this approach I also played around a bit with both the TOC and
creating a shell script with a bunch of pg_restores in the correct order. I
quickly concluded that as long as space allows, I preferred the simpler
approach of two backups since I don't have to remember to edit my shell
script every time a make a change to the database. Like you, I prefer my
tools for mid-disaster to be simple.

-Nick

Re: Backup and Restore

От
"Mendola Gaetano"
Дата:
"Jonathan Gardner" <jgardner@jonathangardner.net> wrote:
> This is also a cheap way to "vacuum" the database:
>
> # pg_dump <dbname> | gzip > dump.gz
> # dropdb <dbname>
> # createdb <dbname>
> # gunzip -c dump.gz > psql <dbname>

Yes specially when you have a dump of about 1 GB and
you manage a service 24/24 7/7!!

The only cheap way to vacuum is:

#vacuumdb <dbname>

if you want update the statistics too:

#vacuumdb -z <dbname>

and if you can handle to have an exclusive lock on tables:

#vacuumdb -f -z <dbname>

the only think that I suggest for bigs table with index is
to reindex that table:

#psql -t -c "reindex table <table_name>" <dbname>

Regards
Gaetano Mendola