Обсуждение: Miss of global directory

Miss of global directory

От
gborges@radiumsystems.com.br
Дата:
Hi!

I lost the global directory wich contains some archives which are needed to use postgres correctly.

Is there some way to rebuild this directory? The data directory which contains all my database information is safe.

I know the names of the database, users...

Thnks a lot!

Re: Miss of global directory

От
gborges@radiumsystems.com.br
Дата:
I mean that I lost /var/lib/pgsql/data/global

Do you know some tool that helps me to recover/rebuild this directory?

Thnks
Gustavo

No dia Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:05:31 +0100, Artur Pietruk <arturp@plukwa.net> escreveu:

> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:02:25PM -0300, gborges@radiumsystems.com.br wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I lost the global directory wich contains some archives which are needed to use postgres correctly.
>
>     I'm not sure what you mean by "global directory". You mean
> you've lost binaries, etc. related to pgsql?
>
> > Is there some way to rebuild this directory? The data directory which contains all my database information is safe.
>
>     But, as long as you have $PGDATA, you should be safe. (But
> remember to backup everything, and make sure you know what you are
> doing, to not loose your DB by simple mistake/rm - be careful).
>
>     Here is short overview of what you could try: Backup your
> current $PGDATA directory. Then, reinstall postgresql (remember -
> exactly the same version of PGSQL as before!). When done, new
> $PGDATA dir will be created. Take postgresql down, and remove new
> $PGDATA. Then, copy to that place your old, backuped $PGDATA.
>
>     Hope it works,
> --
> --- Artur Pietruk, arturp@plukwa.net

Re: Miss of global directory

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
There really isn't a tool per say. You best bet is to do an initdb in a
new directory, then copy the contents of that global directory into your
old $pgdata (or better yet, a copy of it).  IF that works, you should
immediately do a pg_dump to see if you can get a real backup of your
data, and then I'd do a whole new initdb/createdb/load just to be overly
thorough. Then send us an email to let us know :-)

Robert Treat

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 15:27, gborges@radiumsystems.com.br wrote:
> I mean that I lost /var/lib/pgsql/data/global
>
> Do you know some tool that helps me to recover/rebuild this directory?
>
> Thnks
> Gustavo
>
> No dia Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:05:31 +0100, Artur Pietruk <arturp@plukwa.net> escreveu:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:02:25PM -0300, gborges@radiumsystems.com.br wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I lost the global directory wich contains some archives which are needed to use postgres correctly.
> >
> >     I'm not sure what you mean by "global directory". You mean
> > you've lost binaries, etc. related to pgsql?
> >
> > > Is there some way to rebuild this directory? The data directory which contains all my database information is
safe.

> >     But, as long as you have $PGDATA, you should be safe. (But
> > remember to backup everything, and make sure you know what you are
> > doing, to not loose your DB by simple mistake/rm - be careful).
> >
> >     Here is short overview of what you could try: Backup your
> > current $PGDATA directory. Then, reinstall postgresql (remember -
> > exactly the same version of PGSQL as before!). When done, new
> > $PGDATA dir will be created. Take postgresql down, and remove new
> > $PGDATA. Then, copy to that place your old, backuped $PGDATA.
> >
> >     Hope it works,
> > --
> > --- Artur Pietruk, arturp@plukwa.net

Re: Miss of global directory

От
Artur Pietruk
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:02:25PM -0300, gborges@radiumsystems.com.br wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I lost the global directory wich contains some archives which are needed to use postgres correctly.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "global directory". You mean
you've lost binaries, etc. related to pgsql?

> Is there some way to rebuild this directory? The data directory which contains all my database information is safe.

    But, as long as you have $PGDATA, you should be safe. (But
remember to backup everything, and make sure you know what you are
doing, to not loose your DB by simple mistake/rm - be careful).

    Here is short overview of what you could try: Backup your
current $PGDATA directory. Then, reinstall postgresql (remember -
exactly the same version of PGSQL as before!). When done, new
$PGDATA dir will be created. Take postgresql down, and remove new
$PGDATA. Then, copy to that place your old, backuped $PGDATA.

    Hope it works,
--
--- Artur Pietruk, arturp@plukwa.net

Re: Miss of global directory

От
gborges@radiumsystems.com.br
Дата:
It works in parts.

It only can load the tables os my database but without data :-(

I have to start the new instalation to do this. Create an user that I used to acess the database and the database too.

So, I stopped the postgresql, overwrite the base directory and so, start it again.

The strange thing that if I try to insert some data, the DBMS system claim for things like: same primary key...

I think if someone has luck, and only one databe installed, It might works.

[]s
Gustavo B. Oliveira
RadiumSystems.com

No dia 10 Mar 2003 16:30:33 -0500, Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> escreveu:

> There really isn't a tool per say. You best bet is to do an initdb in a
> new directory, then copy the contents of that global directory into your
> old $pgdata (or better yet, a copy of it).  IF that works, you should
> immediately do a pg_dump to see if you can get a real backup of your
> data, and then I'd do a whole new initdb/createdb/load just to be overly
> thorough. Then send us an email to let us know :-)
>
> Robert Treat
>
> On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 15:27, gborges@radiumsystems.com.br wrote:
> > I mean that I lost /var/lib/pgsql/data/global
> >
> > Do you know some tool that helps me to recover/rebuild this directory?
> >
> > Thnks
> > Gustavo
> >
> > No dia Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:05:31 +0100, Artur Pietruk <arturp@plukwa.net> escreveu:

> > >     I'm not sure what you mean by "global directory". You mean
> > > you've lost binaries, etc. related to pgsql?

> > >     But, as long as you have $PGDATA, you should be safe. (But
> > > remember to backup everything, and make sure you know what you are
> > > doing, to not loose your DB by simple mistake/rm - be careful).
> > >
> > >     Here is short overview of what you could try: Backup your
> > > current $PGDATA directory. Then, reinstall postgresql (remember -
> > > exactly the same version of PGSQL as before!). When done, new
> > > $PGDATA dir will be created. Take postgresql down, and remove new
> > > $PGDATA. Then, copy to that place your old, backuped $PGDATA.
> > >
> > >     Hope it works,
> > > --
> > > --- Artur Pietruk, arturp@plukwa.net

libpq query plan saving?

От
Kris Kiger
Дата:
Is there a good way to store a query plan using libpq?  Can someone
point me a good way, other than using SPI?  Thanks!

Kris

Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator

От
Kris Kiger
Дата:
I saw that Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator was announced on
Postgresql.org.  Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

Kris