Обсуждение: list schema

list schema

От
Jie Liang
Дата:
Bruce,

I wonder which command can show all schemas in 7.3?
I mean:
\dt -- show all tables
\l -- show all databases
?? -- show all schemas

Thanks.

Jie Liang
Software Engineer
St. Bernard Software
16882 W. Bernardo Dr.
San Diego, CA 92127
Tel: 858-524-2134
Fax:858-676-2228
jie@stbernard.com

Re: list schema

Дата:
We should have one, but the only solution now is:

    test=> select * from pg_namespace;

Jie Liang wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> I wonder which command can show all schemas in 7.3?
> I mean:
> \dt -- show all tables
> \l -- show all databases
> ?? -- show all schemas
>
> Thanks.
>

> Jie Liang
> Software Engineer
> St. Bernard Software
> 16882 W. Bernardo Dr.
> San Diego, CA 92127
> Tel: 858-524-2134
> Fax:858-676-2228
> jie@stbernard.com

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: list schema

Дата:
Also, on TODO I see:

    * Add schema, cast, and conversion backslash commands to psql

so we know we need them.

Jie Liang wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> I wonder which command can show all schemas in 7.3?
> I mean:
> \dt -- show all tables
> \l -- show all databases
> ?? -- show all schemas
>
> Thanks.
>

> Jie Liang
> Software Engineer
> St. Bernard Software
> 16882 W. Bernardo Dr.
> San Diego, CA 92127
> Tel: 858-524-2134
> Fax:858-676-2228
> jie@stbernard.com

Re: list schema

Дата:
> Also, on TODO I see:
>     * Add schema, cast, and conversion backslash commands to psql
> so we know we need them.

I was going to add one for schemas, but \ds and \dS are already taken,
and there was no good proposal for what to use instead.  Any thoughts?

            regards, tom lane

Re: list schema

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Also, on TODO I see:
> >     * Add schema, cast, and conversion backslash commands to psql
> > so we know we need them.
>
> I was going to add one for schemas, but \ds and \dS are already taken,
> and there was no good proposal for what to use instead.  Any thoughts?

I guess we have to go with the second letter, "c", or use "n" for
namespaces.

Re: list schema

От
Larry Rosenman

--On Thursday, December 05, 2002 15:33:01 -0500 Tom Lane
<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> Also, on TODO I see:
>>     * Add schema, cast, and conversion backslash commands to psql
>> so we know we need them.
>
> I was going to add one for schemas, but \ds and \dS are already taken,
> and there was no good proposal for what to use instead.  Any thoughts?
\dn for NameSpace?

>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: list schema

От
Jean-Luc Lachance
Дата:
How about \D for Domains...

BTW, because many people ask how to do the equivalant in SQL of a \
command,
why not be done with the \ commands which are criptic anyway and instead
create global stored procedures like:

sp_list_databases()
sp_list_schemas()
sp_list_{whatever}()
sp_enable_{this}()
sp_disable_{that}()

JLL

Tom Lane wrote:

> > Also, on TODO I see:
> >       * Add schema, cast, and conversion backslash commands to psql
> > so we know we need them.
>
> I was going to add one for schemas, but \ds and \dS are already taken,
> and there was no good proposal for what to use instead.  Any thoughts?

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: list schema

От
Jie Liang
Дата:
I believe \dn is better.

Jie Liang
Software Engineer
St. Bernard Software
16882 W. Bernardo Dr.
San Diego, CA 92127
Tel: 858-524-2134
Fax:858-676-2228
jie@stbernard.com

> >     * Add schema, cast, and conversion backslash commands to psql
> > so we know we need them.
>
> I was going to add one for schemas, but \ds and \dS are already taken,
> and there was no good proposal for what to use instead.  Any thoughts?

I guess we have to go with the second letter, "c", or use "n" for
namespaces.

Re: list schema

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> I was going to add one for schemas, but \ds and \dS are already taken,
> and there was no good proposal for what to use instead.  Any thoughts?

\dschema

Pretty soon we'll have too many things for 'c' as well, so maybe we should
go with full words.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: list schema

От
Peter Childs
Дата:
On Thursday 05 December 2002 23:21, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane writes:
> > I was going to add one for schemas, but \ds and \dS are already taken,
> > and there was no good proposal for what to use instead.  Any thoughts?
>
> \dschema
>
> Pretty soon we'll have too many things for 'c' as well, so maybe we should
> go with full words.

    I think this sounds like a good idea. as they would be much easier to
remember if its a full word. You can always leave the 1 leave the 1 letter
abbrevations in anyway and have both!

    I also notice that on the todo list is a job to turn all these into views. It
might be worth doing that (should not be too difficult I think) plus they
could then be used from other client programs.

    Strictly I think this meta information should have its own access methods in
the sql standard because currently sql is a broken standard with out this
meta infomation.

Peter Childs

Re: list schema

Дата:
> Tom Lane writes:
>> I was going to add one for schemas, but \ds and \dS are already taken,
>> and there was no good proposal for what to use instead.  Any thoughts?

> \dschema

I would have done that, but it doesn't fit nicely beside the behavior
of the \d[istvS] family.  Maybe we should retire that thing?

            regards, tom lane

Re: list schema

От
Tilo Schwarz
Дата:
Peter Childs writes:

>     I also notice that on the todo list is a job to turn all these into views.
> It might be worth doing that (should not be too difficult I think) plus
> they could then be used from other client programs.

That would be really nice!

Tilo

Connection problem (newbie question)

От
"Paul Kavanagh"
Дата:
Hi,

I've just installed Postgresql 7.3 via Cygwin on Win2K, started the
postmaster successfully, yet cannot connect using psql. See below for trace:

$ pg_ctl start -D /usr/share/postresql/data -l serverlog
postmaster successfully started

$ psql
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

I've attached my .conf.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,
-Paul

Вложения

Re: Connection problem (newbie question)

От
"TaChung Huang"
HI Paul: you would need to specify a database name such as the
"template1". The "template1" database is installed by default as you
install PostgreSQL.

psql <database name>

If you do not specify a database name, the default database name that
psql will use is 'postgresql"

Regards
TaChung Huang (黃大忠)