Обсуждение: offsite warm backup suggestions?

offsite warm backup suggestions?

От
"John Sequeira"
Дата:
I have a question about configuring a warm spare.

I'm on a project that's looking to deploy a fairly transaction-intensive
application (250K inserts/day) running on a linux/apache/mod_perl/postgres
setup and would like to implement an offsite warm spare (as warm as
possible).  The warm spare would be for disaster recovery as opposed to
failover.  In the SQL Server/Oracle worlds I'm more familiar with I believe
I'm looking for something like log shipping.

Does anyone have successful experience using rsync/usogres or one of the pg
replication projects to accomplish this?

Commercial solutions are acceptable,  though OSS solutions are preferred.

Thanks,

John

Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.� Try MSN!

Re: offsite warm backup suggestions?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 03:52:03PM -0500, John Sequeira wrote:
> Does anyone have successful experience using rsync/usogres or one of the pg
> replication projects to accomplish this?

Yes.  We use the rserv (eRServer) software from PostgreSQL, Inc.  It
works for us.

You can't use rsync for this.  It will destroy data.

The rserv in contrib/ may not keep up with your volume.

I haven't tried dbmirror.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: offsite warm backup suggestions?

От
Will LaShell
Дата:
On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 14:19, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 03:52:03PM -0500, John Sequeira wrote:
> > Does anyone have successful experience using rsync/usogres or one of the pg
> > replication projects to accomplish this?

Usogres just flat didn't work well for us, and it introduces another
program that could cause the system to fail.

> Yes.  We use the rserv (eRServer) software from PostgreSQL, Inc.  It
> works for us.

We use rserv here at work as well.

> You can't use rsync for this.  It will destroy data.
>
> The rserv in contrib/ may not keep up with your volume.

I'm going to be posting some commentary to doing replication with rserv
to the list soon.  We recently set up 2 database servers to do
replication with it, and I must say after our initial little hiccups we
have had nothing but good luck with it.  I heartily recommend even the
rserv in contrib, if you don't have/want to shell out the dollars for
the commercial version. If you have any problems, post up your question
and it very likely can be answered.

We actually haven't found any slowdown caused by it, and 250k inserts
per day, depending on how the inserts are spread out really aren't that
many.

Sincerely,
Will LaShell

> I haven't tried dbmirror.

Re: offsite warm backup suggestions?

Does eRserver work with pgsql 7.2.3  or 7.3b3 ?

regds
mallah.

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 03:52:03PM -0500, John Sequeira wrote:
>> Does anyone have successful experience using rsync/usogres or one of the pg  replication
>> projects to accomplish this?
>
> Yes.  We use the rserv (eRServer) software from PostgreSQL, Inc.  It works for us.
>
> You can't use rsync for this.  It will destroy data.
>
> The rserv in contrib/ may not keep up with your volume.
>
> I haven't tried dbmirror.

> ----
> Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
> Liberty RMS                           Toronto, Ontario Canada
> <andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8
>                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110
>

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off
> all lists at once with the unregister command

   "India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.!"
http://www.trade-india.com/

Re: offsite warm backup suggestions?

От
Andrew Sullivan

> Does eRserver work with pgsql 7.2.3  or 7.3b3 ?

It does work with 7.2.3, if you use the commercial version.  It is
definitely broken right now in 7.3, but it will certainly be upgraded
to work with 7.3 some time before we upgrade to 7.3.x.  (Of course,
when that will happen is unclear to me right now.)  To find out the
timetable to make eRServer work with 7.3, you should contact
PostgreSQL, Inc.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110