Обсуждение: Postgres Hidden Pitfalls

Postgres Hidden Pitfalls

От
matthew.palmer@abcmail.co.uk (Matt Palmer)
Дата:
Hi,

is anyone able to assist me in finding a publication/source which
documents Postgresqls hidden problems. I have some postgresql books
which are good for database creation/functions, but for example just
recently I had a problem with the 'pg_xlogs', of which I could find no
mention inside the manuals I had.

Unfortuantely my /var file system filled up because I had to do about
10 bulk copies, which created an unexpected 160 mb of xlog files on
var and toppled the system as the var filesystem filled up. - Its
things like this I would be insterested in, so that I can pre-empt
them happening. Fortunately I managed to resolve this issue, but it
took me a days work to get there.

Any help you have would be great.

Thanks

Re: Postgres Hidden Pitfalls

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 02:37:43AM -0700, Matt Palmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is anyone able to assist me in finding a publication/source which
> documents Postgresqls hidden problems.

I think the "hidden problems" description is probably not a
sufficiently clear one.  But the techdocs site has a lot of useful
information on it, and might qualify as what you're looking for.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Postgres Hidden Pitfalls

Дата:
matthew.palmer@abcmail.co.uk (Matt Palmer) writes:
> is anyone able to assist me in finding a publication/source which
> documents Postgresqls hidden problems.

Well, one not-too-hidden pitfall is running with old releases...

> Unfortuantely my /var file system filled up because I had to do about
> 10 bulk copies, which created an unexpected 160 mb of xlog files on
> var and toppled the system as the var filesystem filled up

... and unlimited growth of xlog files was fixed awhile ago.

We don't make dot-releases just to amuse ourselves.  If you're on
7.1.2, and there's a 7.1.3 available, you're on the wrong release.
(Actually you should be on 7.2.2 ;-) ... but moving up to a patch
release later in the same series is a painless no-brainer.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres Hidden Pitfalls

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 05:37, Matt Palmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is anyone able to assist me in finding a publication/source which
> documents Postgresqls hidden problems. I have some postgresql books
> which are good for database creation/functions, but for example just
> recently I had a problem with the 'pg_xlogs', of which I could find no
> mention inside the manuals I had.
>
> Unfortuantely my /var file system filled up because I had to do about
> 10 bulk copies, which created an unexpected 160 mb of xlog files on
> var and toppled the system as the var filesystem filled up. - Its
> things like this I would be insterested in, so that I can pre-empt
> them happening. Fortunately I managed to resolve this issue, but it
> took me a days work to get there.
>
> Any help you have would be great.

I think there are a few documents like this on the
techdocs.postgresql.org, though I don't know if there is a general
"gotchas" document. (I guess you could start one ;-> )

Robert Treat

Re: Postgres Hidden Pitfalls

Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> I think there are a few documents like this on the
> techdocs.postgresql.org, though I don't know if there is a general
> "gotchas" document. (I guess you could start one ;-> )

I think between techdocs and the TODO list, we got them all.