Обсуждение: postmaster problem

postmaster problem

От
Tyson Oswald
Дата:
I just recently upgraded my Linux kernel to
2.4.8-34mdk, and now I cannot connect to postgresql
through psql or pgaccess.  I receive the following
error apon the service starting up.
pg_ctl: Another postmaster may be running.  Trying to
start postmaster anyway.

This happend apon bootup and also when I restart the
service.  Unix domain sockets is installed in the
kernel and entries are in the /etc/services for
tcp/5432 and udp/5432.

I get this error when I run
psql -d template1
psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such
file or directory
 Is the postmaster running locally
 and accepting connections on Unix socket
'/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?

What celse an cause these errors?

thanks,
Tyson Oswald

http://auctions.yahoo.com

Re: postmaster problem

От
Andy Ruhl
On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Tyson Oswald wrote:

> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 16:30:03 -0800 (PST)
> From: Tyson Oswald <tysono_71@yahoo.com>
> To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
> Subject: [ADMIN] postmaster problem
>
> I just recently upgraded my Linux kernel to
> 2.4.8-34mdk, and now I cannot connect to postgresql
> through psql or pgaccess.  I receive the following
> error apon the service starting up.
> pg_ctl: Another postmaster may be running.  Trying to
> start postmaster anyway.
>
> This happend apon bootup and also when I restart the
> service.  Unix domain sockets is installed in the
> kernel and entries are in the /etc/services for
> tcp/5432 and udp/5432.
>
> I get this error when I run
> psql -d template1
> psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such
> file or directory
>  Is the postmaster running locally
>  and accepting connections on Unix socket
> '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?
>
> What celse an cause these errors?

This normally means it was shut down without cleaning itself up as far as
I know. If your PGDATA directory has the .pid file still in it and you are
sure postmaster is not running (ps aux | grep -i postmaster shows
nothing), then you know that was the case. I'm too new to know what's OK
to delete and what not to delete, and exactly needs to be done to clean up
an unclean shutdown.

Andy

acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org

Re: postmaster problem

Дата:
Tyson Oswald <tysono_71@yahoo.com> writes:
> I just recently upgraded my Linux kernel to
> 2.4.8-34mdk, and now I cannot connect to postgresql
> through psql or pgaccess.  I receive the following
> error apon the service starting up.
> pg_ctl: Another postmaster may be running.  Trying to
> start postmaster anyway.

That in itself is not an error; it's just telling you that there
was a postmaster lock file already present.  As the message says,
pg_ctl will plow ahead anyway.

If the postmaster doesn't start, then there's some deeper problem,
but you have not told us anything that would help to determine what.
Are there no other messages?  If so, are you perchance redirecting
the postmaster's stderr to /dev/null?  Not a good thing to do if
you want to debug problems...

            regards, tom lane