Обсуждение: Grant all to Public & adding users

Grant all to Public & adding users

От
"Marc Mitchell"
Дата:
We have existing database where several tables have GRANT ALL TO PUBLIC.
However, when new users are added, they seem to get privilege problem until
another GRANT ALL TO PUBLIC is issued.  If this is truly the case (and
we're not crazy) then each time a new user is added, new GRANTs will have
to be executed.  Is this correct?  Is this intentional?  Anyone know a work
around?

MM

Re: Grant all to Public & adding users

Дата:
"Marc Mitchell" <marcm@eisolution.com> writes:
> We have existing database where several tables have GRANT ALL TO PUBLIC.
> However, when new users are added, they seem to get privilege problem until
> another GRANT ALL TO PUBLIC is issued.  If this is truly the case (and
> we're not crazy) then each time a new user is added, new GRANTs will have
> to be executed.  Is this correct?

It shouldn't behave that way, no.  PUBLIC isn't an explicit list of
users but an implicit "everybody" class.  I suspect you have
misdescribed your problem.  There have been other known bugs in
privilege-manipulation though.  What PG version are you using?
Can you give an exact example of a sequence that causes a problem?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Grant all to Public & adding users

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc Mitchell writes:

> We have existing database where several tables have GRANT ALL TO PUBLIC.
> However, when new users are added, they seem to get privilege problem until
> another GRANT ALL TO PUBLIC is issued.

I cannot reproduce this in 7.0.2 or in current, so either you are using an
even older version, in which case it's highly recommended to upgrade
(latest stable is 7.1.3), or you are confusing something, in which case
you should show the exact statements you are issuing and explain what you
wanted to happen in each case.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

replication

От
"Peter T. Brown"
Дата:
Hello

I want to add replication capabilities to my postgresql installation. Can
anyone recommend a good way (open source or otherwise) to do so?

Basically, I have a web tracking application that must quickly and reliably
store massive amounts of tracking data. Later, I run complex queries to
analyze this tracking data. These complex queries tend to be very resource
intensive, so I'd like to have them run on a separate machine altogether. I
need a simple and reliable method to 'copy' any data added to the tracking
database to the analysis database. Preferably, I'd be able to configure this
copy process to defer to high priority queries or to be considerate of the
time of day.

Thanks,

Peter T. Brown

Re: replication

От
David Stanaway
Дата:

Re: [SQL] replication

От
"Bryan White"
Дата:
> I want to add replication capabilities to my postgresql installation. Can
> anyone recommend a good way (open source or otherwise) to do so?
>
> Basically, I have a web tracking application that must quickly and
reliably
> store massive amounts of tracking data. Later, I run complex queries to
> analyze this tracking data. These complex queries tend to be very resource
> intensive, so I'd like to have them run on a separate machine altogether.
> need a simple and reliable method to 'copy' any data added to the tracking
> database to the analysis database. Preferably, I'd be able to configure
this
> copy process to defer to high priority queries or to be considerate of the
> time of day.

How closely does the replicated data have to track your live data.  I my
installation I have an cron job that runs at 2:30am daily.  It backs up the
database (using pg_dump) and loads it on another machine.  I can then run
queries the next day on the backup machine without hurting performance on
the primary.  It also has the side effect of producing the backup file for
saving to tape or whatever.  It also veryfies daily that the backup file is
not corrupt because the load would fail on the secondary machine.

This is not true replication but it might serve your needs.  I looked at the
replication solutions for PostgreSQL a while ago and got the impression they
were not ready for primetime.  In may have changed since then.