Обсуждение: Problems setting up DB at a different location

Problems setting up DB at a different location

От
Sven Riedel
Дата:
Hi,
I'm trying to place a database on a different harddisk than the default one
PostgreSQL uses. I've read and followed the instructions of the User
Documentation Sections 6.1.1 and 10.2.

export PGDATA2="/data/db"
initlocation PGDATA2

so far, so good, everything worked.
But now, when I createdb mydb -D PGDATA2 from the commandline or
CREATE DATABASE mydb WITH LOCATION = 'PGDATA2';
from psql, I get the message

ERROR:  Postmaster environment variable 'PGDATA2' not set

despite it being set, obviously. Trying to SET it again from within psql
resulted in being told that 'pgdata2' was not a valid option name.

This is PostgreSQL 7.1.2 from the Debian Linux distribution.
Can anyone point me to what I'm doing wrong?

Regs,
Sven

--
Sven Riedel                      sr@gimp.org
Osteroeder Str. 6 / App. 13      sven.riedel@tu-clausthal.de

Re: Problems setting up DB at a different location

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Sven-

I am attaching an html file from our internal company documentation that may
help. We are running PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on Debian. The section in the html
file marked "Some general concepts and experiences we've had:" includes a
description of how we placed data in a separate area. (Most of the links in
this doc won't work because they refer to files that live behind our
firewall.)

One problem that I had was forgetting to use the "-" when doing "su -
postgres". The "-" ensures that you pick up any environment variables
defined in the postgres user's .profile

I hope this helps. I can offer further assistance if it does not.

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser

    nickf@doxpop.com  Phone 1.765.965.7363  Fax 1.765.962.9788
doxpop - Court records at your fingertips - http://www.doxpop.com/