Обсуждение: Transaction Aborting on sql call failure

Transaction Aborting on sql call failure

От
"Michael Baker"
Дата:
We are running into a situation where psql is aborting the transaction when one call returns an error.  Is there a way to continue on with transaction or at least save what has already happened (like an Oracle Save Point)?

Re: Transaction Aborting on sql call failure

От
Stephan Szabo

> We are running into a situation where psql is aborting the transaction
> when one call returns an error.  Is there a way to continue on with
> transaction or at least save what has already happened (like an Oracle
> Save Point)?

Not yet, although savepoints have been talked about. (maybe 7.3?)

Re: Transaction Aborting on sql call failure

От
Haroldo Stenger
Дата:
Stephan Szabo wrote:

> > We are running into a situation where psql is aborting the transaction
> > when one call returns an error.  Is there a way to continue on with
> > transaction or at least save what has already happened (like an Oracle
> > Save Point)?
>
> Not yet, although savepoints have been talked about. (maybe 7.3?)

New SMGR opens the way to this *very important* feature. Vadim?

Another proposal to solve this was recently proposed, not using WAL. Bruce?

I think this issue is rasing in the lists frequently enough, as for giving it
top priority. Maybe is isn't so easy. Comments?

Thanks

Regards,
Haroldo.

Re: Transaction Aborting on sql call failure

Дата:
> Stephan Szabo wrote:
> >
> > > We are running into a situation where psql is aborting the transaction
> > > when one call returns an error.  Is there a way to continue on with
> > > transaction or at least save what has already happened (like an Oracle
> > > Save Point)?
> >
> > Not yet, although savepoints have been talked about. (maybe 7.3?)
>
> New SMGR opens the way to this *very important* feature. Vadim?
>
> Another proposal to solve this was recently proposed, not using WAL. Bruce?

Yes, see TODO page under transactions.  It has my email about it.

turning on debug without restarting postgres

От
"Rainer Mager"
Дата:
Hi all,

    Is there any way to alter postgres' debug levels without restarting it?
Specifically I sometimes need to turn on query logging but I don't want to
restart the backend.

Thanks,

--Rainer

Re: turning on debug without restarting postgres

От
Herbert Rabago Ambos
Дата:
i'm using

   pg_ctl -l /var/log/pgsql/logfile start

to start my postgres. So whenever i look at the log files i just

   tail -f /var/log/pgsql/logfile

that seems to do the trick.

hope this helps,

herbert

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Rainer Mager wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     Is there any way to alter postgres' debug levels without restarting it?
> Specifically I sometimes need to turn on query logging but I don't want to
> restart the backend.
>

> Thanks,
>
> --Rainer

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: turning on debug without restarting postgres

От
"Rainer Mager"
Дата:
Hi,

    Thanks for the answer. I looked at this and I think it might not work for
us. The thing is that we have a connection pool that maintains connections
to the db so all connections being closed at the same time will never
happen. Does this pg_ctl thing do VERY clever restarting like spawning a new
back end, as each connection closes removing it from the old back end, and
directing all new connections to the new backend until all old connections
are closed?

Thanks,

--Rainer

Дата:
"Rainer Mager" <rmager@vgkk.com> writes:
>     Is there any way to alter postgres' debug levels without restarting it?

postgresql.conf to affect all backends, SET command to affect only one
backend.

            regards, tom lane