Обсуждение: pg_dump & windows (what a mess...!)

pg_dump & windows (what a mess...!)

От
pmiranda@vm.com.br
Дата:
Hi,

I think I'm closer than yesterday to solving my troubles, but still need
some help (remember I couldn't start pg_dump from DOS' command line? well,
I still can't....).

As I couldn't what I was trying to, I tried to connect to Postgres via psql
(from the command line) and I got the message:

connectDB() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
Is the postmaster running at 'localhost' and accepting connections on Unix
socket '5432'?

I figured that, although through Windows clients everything works fine,
maybe from the command line it's not recognizing where Postgres is. Maybe,
I missed some configuration parameter or something else (TCP/IP perhaps....
what's pg_hba.conf for? How can I change it?)

Can anyone of you, please, give me some advice? I'm getting crazy! My boss
will eat my liver, if I don't have this thing fixed right away!!!!

Thanks in advance, for your patience.

Regards from Brazil

Paulo

A last question: Is there anybody in this crazy world as innocent as myself
using Postgres & Windows?

Re: pg_dump & windows (what a mess...!)

От
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
Дата:
What is the postgres database running on? Can't you just go to that machine
and pg_dump?
    If not then you could try installing cygwin (www.cygwin.com). This
will give you a unix like api and bash shell in windows. The default install
also has a binary version of postgresql including tools such as pg_dump. If
you are wanting the server running on the Windows box you will also need to
download & install cygipc (see the FAQ-MSWIN on the postgresql site. There's
also stuff on techdocs.postgresql.org), when you have ipc-daemon running you
could then initdb.
    There is also a pgsql-cygwin list.
- Stuart

reina@nsi.edu (Tony Reina)
Дата:
pmiranda@vm.com.br wrote in message
> connectDB() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
> Is the postmaster running at 'localhost' and accepting connections on Unix
> socket '5432'?
>
> I figured that, although through Windows clients everything works fine,
> maybe from the command line it's not recognizing where Postgres is. Maybe,
> I missed some configuration parameter or something else (TCP/IP perhaps....
> what's pg_hba.conf for? How can I change it?)

If your Windows clients are accessing the database correctly (via ODBC
I presume), then you probably just don't have the correct
environmental variables set for DOS.

Try using this:

psql -h hostname -d database_name

where "hostname" is the IP address of the machine containing the
database and "database_name" is the database name.

Alternatively, you can set up your DOS environmental variables. Add
the following to your autoexec.bat or any other file that will execute
when you drop into a DOS shell.

set pghost=host_computer_name
set pgdata=c:\directory_where_the_db_exists

where host_computer_name is the IP address for the machine containing
your database and c:\directory_where_the_db_exists is the directory
containing the data.

pg_hba.conf is the file that allows you to change which
users/computers can access the database. It's where you can set up
security in your connections. You should be able to edit it with a
standard text editor providing that you have read/write access to the
file.

-Tony

Re: pg_dump & windows (what a mess...!)

От
pmiranda@vm.com.br
Дата:
Hi, Stephan!

No, unfortunately, not. It doesn't work at all.

But I'm not lost anymore. Our buddy Tony Reina asked me to do a few things,
among them, setting some variables like pghost and pgdata, and, now
everything is okay.

I wanna thank all of you who kindly answered my post.

I'm working hard to be as good as yourselves and can help others like me
who are initiating with Postgres. I choose a platform which is not likely
to be very popular in open-source's world, so... who knows, can I, in the
future, get there?!

Thank you, very much, again.

Greetings from Brazil,

Paulo

                    Stephan Szabo

                    <sszabo@megazone23.big        To:     pmiranda@vm.com.br

                    panda.com>                    cc:

                                                  Subject:     Re: [ADMIN] pg_dump & windows (what a mess...!)

                    06/09/01 21:06

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 pmiranda@vm.com.br wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think I'm closer than yesterday to solving my troubles, but still need
> some help (remember I couldn't start pg_dump from DOS' command line?
well,
> I still can't....).
>
> As I couldn't what I was trying to, I tried to connect to Postgres via
psql
> (from the command line) and I got the message:
>
> connectDB() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
> Is the postmaster running at 'localhost' and accepting connections on
Unix
> socket '5432'?

Hmm, do
psql -h localhost
pg_dump -h localhost
work?

I think that'll force tcp connections rather than trying for a local unix
socket.  I haven't worked with postgres under windows, but that might help
you.