Обсуждение: using multiple partitions for a single table

using multiple partitions for a single table

От
"Taher H. Haveliwala"
Дата:
Is it possible in postgres 7.1.3 to have a single
table span multiple partitions?  Or is using RAID the
only option?

Thanks
Taher

http://im.yahoo.com

Re: using multiple partitions for a single table

От
David Stanaway
Дата:
On Wednesday, September 5, 2001, at 06:58  AM, Taher H. Haveliwala wrote:

> Is it possible in postgres 7.1.3 to have a single
> table span multiple partitions?  Or is using RAID the
> only option?
>
> Thanks
> Taher

Hi there,
On Linux, you can use LVM (Logical Volume Manager) to do what you want.

I use LVM for a slightly different reason (So I can allocate disk space
as needed for different filesystems on the fly), but you can use it for
RAID like things, but it is more flexible (Esp with XFS filesystem).

I believe there is a similar (Even the same..) project for BSD, and of
course it is inspired by stuff that commercial unix systems have had for
a while.

==============================
David Stanaway
Personal: david@stanaway.net
Work: david@netventures.com.au

Re: using multiple partitions for a single table

От
"Chad R. Larson"
Дата:
At 04:55 PM 9/4/2001 , David Stanaway wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 5, 2001, at 06:58  AM, Taher H. Haveliwala wrote:
>
>>Is it possible in postgres 7.1.3 to have a single
>>table span multiple partitions?  Or is using RAID the
>>only option?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Taher

Yes, you can move individual files that are under your $PGDATA directory to
some other volumes, and then point to them with symbolic links.

>Hi there,
>On Linux, you can use LVM (Logical Volume Manager) to do what you want.

[snip]

>I believe there is a similar (Even the same..) project for BSD, and of
>course it is inspired by stuff that commercial unix systems have had for a
>while.

It's called "vinum", and is modeled after (or at least inspired by) the
Veritas Volume Manager.

>http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

         -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad@eldocomp.com
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100

Re: using multiple partitions for a single table

Дата:
"Taher H. Haveliwala" <taherh24@yahoo.com> writes:
> Is it possible in postgres 7.1.3 to have a single
> table span multiple partitions?  Or is using RAID the
> only option?

RAID or LVM are the best scenario.  If you're really in a bind you
could manually move table segments to different partitions and set up
symlinks from the original location.  But this is a pain in the neck;
also, I would not recommend doing it while the postmaster is running.

            regards, tom lane

Re: using multiple partitions for a single table

От
"Taher H. Haveliwala"
Дата:
Thanks all for the suggestions.  I've decided to go
with LVM.  It would appear to be the most flexible
solution.

Taher

--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Taher H. Haveliwala" <taherh24@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Is it possible in postgres 7.1.3 to have a single
> > table span multiple partitions?  Or is using RAID
> the
> > only option?
>
> RAID or LVM are the best scenario.  If you're really
> in a bind you
> could manually move table segments to different
> partitions and set up
> symlinks from the original location.  But this is a
> pain in the neck;
> also, I would not recommend doing it while the
> postmaster is running.
>
>             regards, tom lane

http://im.yahoo.com

Re: using multiple partitions for a single table

От
"Corn"
Дата:
But can I do that?

e.g.

    There is a customers table that keeps customers record but for two
company: A & B.
    can I store A's customers & B's customers record into two different
directory? That is the mean I know for table partitioning. Is that right?

thx,
Corn