Обсуждение: Word Indexing

Word Indexing

От
"Chris Ruprecht"
Дата:
Hi all, specially the developers!

There is a feature which I would like to see - but which, I suppose, will not make it into PostGreSQL any time soon. It would mean to re-write a lot of the indexing (my guess). It's called 'Word Indexing" and it's functionality would allow something like

Select * from text_table
  where text_table.text contains 'Red'
  and   text_table.text contains 'Blue*'
  and   text_table.text not contains 'Green';

I actually have an application where this would come in extremely handy. Can anybody give me a clue if this is planned for any time in the foreseeable future?

Best regards,
Chris

Re: Word Indexing

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Chris Ruprecht wrote:

> Hi all, specially the developers!
>
> There is a feature which I would like to see - but which, I suppose, will not make it into PostGreSQL any time soon.
Itwould mean to re-write a lot of the indexing (my guess). It's called 'Word Indexing" and it's functionality would
allowsomething like

> Select * from text_table
>   where text_table.text contains 'Red'
>   and   text_table.text contains 'Blue*'
>   and   text_table.text not contains 'Green';
>
> I actually have an application where this would come in extremely handy. Can anybody give me a clue if this is
plannedfor any time in the foreseeable future?

We're a thinking about integration our ful-text search engine into postgres.
currently you can use something like we do in fts.postgresql.org.
We plan to release in Open Source as soon as we prepare documentation.
In short, look at contrib/intarray

> Best regards,
> Chris

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Word Indexing

Дата:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Chris Ruprecht wrote:
>
> > Hi all, specially the developers!
> >
> > There is a feature which I would like to see - but which, I suppose, will not make it into PostGreSQL any time
soon.It would mean to re-write a lot of the indexing (my guess). It's called 'Word Indexing" and it's functionality
wouldallow something like

> > Select * from text_table
> >   where text_table.text contains 'Red'
> >   and   text_table.text contains 'Blue*'
> >   and   text_table.text not contains 'Green';
> >
> > I actually have an application where this would come in extremely handy. Can anybody give me a clue if this is
plannedfor any time in the foreseeable future?

> We're a thinking about integration our ful-text search engine into postgres.
> currently you can use something like we do in fts.postgresql.org.
> We plan to release in Open Source as soon as we prepare documentation.
> In short, look at contrib/intarray

Oleg, great.  Glad you are working on that.  I know Marc has some thing
installed and I really want to have that feature native in 7.2.

Re: Word Indexing

От
"Chris Ruprecht"
Дата:
Ok guys, this is excellent news!
Bruce, do you have a time frame for 7.1.x ... 7.2? If it's a matter of 'a
few weeks', I might be able to hold off on the project until this happens.
If we're talking 'Q4/2001 or such', I have to design things differently.

Best regards,
Chris

> > currently you can use something like we do in fts.postgresql.org.
> > We plan to release in Open Source as soon as we prepare documentation.
> > In short, look at contrib/intarray
>
> Oleg, great.  Glad you are working on that.  I know Marc has some thing
> installed and I really want to have that feature native in 7.2.

Re: Word Indexing

Дата:
> Ok guys, this is excellent news!
> Bruce, do you have a time frame for 7.1.x ... 7.2? If it's a matter of 'a
> few weeks', I might be able to hold off on the project until this happens.
> If we're talking 'Q4/2001 or such', I have to design things differently.

The killer is that it is working now with Oleg's code on 7.1.2.  I have
just not seen a good writeup on how to do it.  I know Marc has done it.

7.2 is months away so I would find the info for 7.1.2 and use that.
Also, could someone post the info here for 7.1.X users?