Обсуждение: PGACCESS: error trying to connect...

PGACCESS: error trying to connect...

От
Tim Boring
Дата:
I've successfully installed pgsql 7.0.3 on my SuSE 7.0 system and can create
dbs, users, etc. from the psql terminal.  However, if I want to try to use
pgaccess it gives me the following error message:

"Connection to database failed PQconnectPoll() -- connect() failed:
Connection refused. Is the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost' and
accepting connections on TCP/IP port 5432'?"

So I shutdown the postmaster and tried restarting like this:
postmaster -D -i /var/lib/pgsql/data > logfile 2>&1 &

but it doesn't start the postmaster.  If I leave off the -i it will start, but
then I'm back to square one as far as using pgaccess.

Out of curiousity, since I'm trying to use pgaccess on the localhost, shouldn't
it just use regular Linux sockets and not try to connect via TCP/IP?  It seems
odd that I can connect to the server from the psql terminal without setting the
-i option on the postmaster but not from pgaccess.

Any ideas.

Thanks,
Tim

Re: PGACCESS: error trying to connect...

Дата:
Tim Boring <tboring@insight.rr.com> writes:
> So I shutdown the postmaster and tried restarting like this:
> postmaster -D -i /var/lib/pgsql/data > logfile 2>&1 &
> but it doesn't start the postmaster.

Try putting the switches in a saner order:
    postmaster -i -D /var/lib/pgsql/data > logfile 2>&1 &

-D expects a parameter (database path) next.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PGACCESS: error trying to connect...

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
Tim Boring wrote:
  >I've successfully installed pgsql 7.0.3 on my SuSE 7.0 system and can create
  >dbs, users, etc. from the psql terminal.  However, if I want to try to use
  >pgaccess it gives me the following error message:
  >
  >"Connection to database failed PQconnectPoll() -- connect() failed:
  >Connection refused. Is the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost' and
  >accepting connections on TCP/IP port 5432'?"
  >
  >So I shutdown the postmaster and tried restarting like this:
  >postmaster -D -i /var/lib/pgsql/data > logfile 2>&1 &
  >
  >but it doesn't start the postmaster.  If I leave off the -i it will start, b
      >ut
  >then I'm back to square one as far as using pgaccess.
  >
  >Out of curiousity, since I'm trying to use pgaccess on the localhost, should
      >n't
  >it just use regular Linux sockets and not try to connect via TCP/IP?  It see
      >ms
  >odd that I can connect to the server from the psql terminal without setting
      >the
  >-i option on the postmaster but not from pgaccess.

Leave the hostname field blank in the connection dialog; pgaccess will then
use Unix sockets instead of TCP/IP.  localhost is a TCP/IP hostname.

This is not specific to pgaccess; if PGHOST is in your environment and not
empty, any connection to the postmaster will use TCP/IP unless overridden.

     "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which
      no man shall see the Lord."       Hebrews 12:14

Re: PGACCESS: error trying to connect...

От
Tim Boring
Дата:
On Tue, 08 May 2001, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Leave the hostname field blank in the connection dialog; pgaccess will then
> use Unix sockets instead of TCP/IP.  localhost is a TCP/IP hostname.

Thank you!  I knew it was something simple I was forgetting.  Doh!  :-)

Tim