Обсуждение: Dumb Question

Dumb Question

От
"Leland V. Lammert"
Дата:
Hi folks,

I was trying to install pgsql today on our db server (standard BSD4), ..
and no matter which source tree I installed, I found the following problems:

1) The make quit trying to install 'interface' - I am not using anything
except php4, .. yet it seemed to be requiring ODBC by default??

2) I don't know if this was related to #1, but none of the utilities
installed (i.e. initdb), so I am dead in the water.

Did I miss something in the FAQs? Is there more than one source tree
required (e.g. base + ??)? I don't want ODBC, why is is install trying to
do ODBC interfaces??

    TIA for any clues,

    Lee

    Leland V. Lammert                                lvl@omnitec.net
       Chief Scientist                         Omnitec Corporation
   Network/Internet Consultants              www.omnitec.net

Re: Dumb Question

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Leland V. Lammert writes:

> I was trying to install pgsql today on our db server (standard BSD4), ..
> and no matter which source tree I installed, I found the following problems:
>
> 1) The make quit trying to install 'interface' - I am not using anything
> except php4, .. yet it seemed to be requiring ODBC by default??
>
> 2) I don't know if this was related to #1, but none of the utilities
> installed (i.e. initdb), so I am dead in the water.

Show what you did and what appeared on the screen, not descriptions in
your own words.

Re: Dumb Question

От
"Leland V. Lammert"
Дата:
At 04:22 PM 2/2/01 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>Leland V. Lammert writes:
>
> > I was trying to install pgsql today on our db server (standard BSD4), ..
> > and no matter which source tree I installed, I found the following
> problems:
> >
> > 1) The make quit trying to install 'interface' - I am not using anything
> > except php4, .. yet it seemed to be requiring ODBC by default??
> >
> > 2) I don't know if this was related to #1, but none of the utilities
> > installed (i.e. initdb), so I am dead in the water.
>
>Show what you did and what appeared on the screen, not descriptions in
>your own words.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply, .. here is what I had done (the tarball names are
from memory):

1) Install Postgresql-7.0.3.tgz

2) Configure & make - fail at making 'interfaces'

3) Install Postgresql-7-003-base.tgz (this seemed to include util/init - I
assume this is initdb??)

4) Configure and make - again fail at making 'interfaces'

5) I then tried to follow the FAQ to initialize the database structure, ..
but found that there was no 'initdb' in the bin directory.

Does that help? I assume the sub-steps are irrelavent since the make worked
up to 'interfaces' (install gmake, [BSD4.0 system], extract tar, ./configure).

         TIA,

         Lee

    Leland V. Lammert                                lvl@omnitec.net
       Chief Scientist                         Omnitec Corporation
   Network/Internet Consultants              www.omnitec.net

Re: Dumb Question

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Leland V. Lammert writes:

> 1) Install Postgresql-7.0.3.tgz

> 2) Configure & make - fail at making 'interfaces'

Our makefiles don't have a target called 'interfaces'.  There's a
directory called interfaces, so you have to be more particular.

> 3) Install Postgresql-7-003-base.tgz (this seemed to include util/init - I
> assume this is initdb??)

If you did 1) you don't need this.  The ftp server has a file the
explains the dist split.