Обсуждение: Database starting failed !

Database starting failed !

От
Mario Tanguay
Дата:
Hi,

I tried to start the database, (after installing all, compile all,
create database....) and when I try the postmaster -D ...
I have always this message :

====================================

> postgres -D /netergynet/postgresql/data -B 50000
DEBUG:  Data Base System is starting up at Fri Jan 19 11:17:58 2001
DEBUG:  Data Base System was interrupted being in production at Fri Jan
DEBUG:  Data Base System is in production state at Fri Jan 19 11:17:58
2001
FindExec: could not find a postgres to execute...
FATAL 1:  postgres: could not locate executable, bailing out...
FATAL 1:  postgres: could not locate executable, bailing out...

Is there anybody can help me !

Mario

--
____________________________________
Mario Tanguay

Team leader
Netergy Networks
Tel (514) 282-8484x466 Fax (514) 282-9898
Email mario.tanguay@uforce.com
111 Duke, 5th floor
Montreal
Quebec
H3C 2M1
CANADA

"Si tu téléphones à une voyante et qu'elle ne répond pas avant que ça
sonne, c'est pas bon signe. Ne la consulte pas !"

"Certaines personnes voient les choses telles qu'elles sont et demandent
pourquoi et d'autres rêvent des choses qui n'ont jamais existé et
demandent pourquoi pas"

Re: Database starting failed !

От
Stefan Huber
Дата:
Hi Mario!

>FATAL 1:  postgres: could not locate executable, bailing out...

seems to me, that the user, you are starting postgres as, cannot find some executable. Make sure, all Postgres binaries
arereachable via PATH. (issue echo $PATH on the commandline to see the current paths, if you're using a Un*x).
If this doesn't help, try increasing the debuglevel (-d 5) and see, if the postmaster gives you a hint of what file it
can'tfind.

HTH,
Stefan

Re: Database starting failed !

От
Mario Tanguay
Дата:
Hi,

First, thank you, I have solved one part of my problems...  Now I have this other error message.... and I haved create
mydatabase with the "initdb -D /netergynet/postgresql/data" command

> postgres -D /netergynet/postgresql/data -B 50000 -d 5
binding ShmemCreate(key=0, size=417033216)
DEBUG:  Data Base System is starting up at Fri Jan 19 14:18:25 2001
DEBUG:  Data Base System was shut down at Fri Jan 19 14:16:32 2001
DEBUG:  Data Base System is in production state at Fri Jan 19 14:18:25 2001
FindExec: searching PATH ...
ValidateBinary: can't stat "/usr/sbin/postgres"
ValidateBinary: can't stat "/usr/local/bin/postgres"
ValidateBinary: can't stat "/usr/dt/bin/postgres"
ValidateBinary: can't stat "/usr/bin/postgres"
ValidateBinary: can't stat "/usr/ucb/postgres"
ValidateBinary: can't stat "/etc/postgres"
FindExec: found "/netergynet/postgresql/bin/postgres" using PATH
started: host= user=postgres database=postgres
InitPostgres
FATAL 1:  Database "postgres" does not exist in the system catalog.
FATAL 1:  Database "postgres" does not exist in the system catalog.
proc_exit(0)
shmem_exit(0)
exit(0)

Thank's in advance !!!!

Mario

--
____________________________________
Mario Tanguay

Team leader
Netergy Networks
Tel (514) 282-8484x466 Fax (514) 282-9898
Email mario.tanguay@uforce.com
111 Duke, 5th floor
Montreal
Quebec
H3C 2M1
CANADA

"Si tu téléphones à une voyante et qu'elle ne répond pas avant que ça sonne, c'est pas bon signe. Ne la consulte pas !"

"Certaines personnes voient les choses telles qu'elles sont et demandent pourquoi et d'autres rêvent des choses qui
n'ontjamais existé et demandent pourquoi pas"

Re: Database starting failed !

От
Stefan Huber
Дата:
Hello again, Mario!

>started: host= user=postgres database=postgres
>InitPostgres
>FATAL 1:  Database "postgres" does not exist in the system catalog.

Are you sure, you have a database calles postgres? Normally the initial Database is called "template1"...but as I see,
youdon't even call for a database "postgres"...ahem. Have you tried starting postgres with
  postmaster -D /netergynet/postgresql/data -B 50000 -d 5

Stefan

Time Fields

От
"robert"
Дата:
We have just installed postgres on a completly rebuild linux 6.2 redhat
server. The problem is that when we add a data to our time fields it loses
one minite and when we add data to our timestamp field it adds 60 seconds.

Any ideas would be helpfull

Robert
VocalScape

Re: Time Fields

Дата:
"robert" <robert@vocalscape.com> writes:
> We have just installed postgres on a completly rebuild linux 6.2 redhat
> server. The problem is that when we add a data to our time fields it loses
> one minite and when we add data to our timestamp field it adds 60 seconds.

We've heard reports of roundoff errors like that when the wrong compiler
flags are used on certain hardware platforms.  What is your hardware,
and how did you build or obtain the Postgres executables?  What Postgres
version is this, anyway?

            regards, tom lane