Обсуждение: Client Libraries

Client Libraries

От
Paul McGarry
Дата:
Is there a way of compiling only the client libraries for a particular
system?

I'm thinking of the situation where I have the database running on one
machine and clients to that database (Apache/PHP4) on other machines,
possibly of a different architecture (eg a Sparc Solaris DB machine and
Linux/BSD web servers).

Do I have to compile the entirity of PostgreSQL on the web servers
just to get the client libraries installed?

Paul McGarry            mailto:paulm@opentec.com.au
Systems Integrator      http://www.opentec.com.au
Opentec Pty Ltd         http://www.iebusiness.com.au
6 Lyon Park Road        Phone: (02) 9878 1744
North Ryde NSW 2113     Fax:   (02) 9878 1755

Re: Client Libraries

От
Eugene Karpachov
Дата:
Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 08:34:43AM +1000, Paul McGarry пишет:
> Is there a way of compiling only the client libraries for a particular
> system?

You could compile all the sources, install to different location with
something like

make install \
    POSTGRESDIR=$prefix \
    POSTMANDIR=$prefix/man \
    HEADERDIR=$prefix/include/postgresql \
        TEMPLATEDIR=$prefix/share/postgresql
(this command is ok for 7.0)

and pick the files (libraries) you need. In fact, this method is used by
'rpm', the RedHat package manager, when it builds packages from sources.

--
jk

Database replication ?

От
Loïc TREGOUËT
Дата:
    Hello ,

    I was talking about PostgreSQL with one of my friend who use SQL Server
.
He ask me what about replication database in Postgresql .

Is there a way to do this :
- when a row is inserted (or deleted ...) in database1 - > automatically
the same operation is replicated on a other databse

Or a dump is necessary ?

SQL server do this internally .   Thanks for your responses and don't worry
, I stay a PostgreSQL admirator .

loic@cri74.org

Re: Database replication ?

От
Haroldo Stenger
Дата:
Loïc TREGOUËT wrote:

>     Hello ,
>
>     I was talking about PostgreSQL with one of my friend who use SQL Server
> .
> He ask me what about replication database in Postgresql .
>
> Is there a way to do this :
> - when a row is inserted (or deleted ...) in database1 - > automatically
> the same operation is replicated on a other databse
>
> Or a dump is necessary ?
>
> SQL server do this internally .   Thanks for your responses and don't worry
> , I stay a PostgreSQL admirator .
>
> loic@cri74.org

In the TODO file, under

EXOTIC FEATURES

* Add replication of distributed databases

Besides this, I wonder if db replication could be done by reaplying backend
logs.

Regards,
Haroldo.

--
 Haroldo Stenger      | hstenger@ieee.org

Re: Database replication ?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Haroldo Stenger writes:

> Besides this, I wonder if db replication could be done by reaplying
> backend logs.

Yup, if we only had backend logs...