Обсуждение: Cannot install postgreSQL

Cannot install postgreSQL

От
Roman Kurmanowytsch
Дата:
Hi,

Ok, ok, I totally agree that this question should be posted to the Novice
mailing list (that's what I did before but to no avail). My only (lame)
excuse is that is about administrating postgresql.

I've a running postgresql db on one machine and I want to install it on a
second one. The problem is: I get an error I definitely haven't got when I
installed it the first time.

This is the result when I'm running initdb (initdb --pglib=...
--username=romkur). The PGDATA environment variable is set correctly:

<OUTPUT>
We are initializing the database system with username romkur (uid=1005).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.
Creating Postgres database system directory /postgresql/pgsql/data
Creating Postgres database system directory /postgresql/pgsql/data/base
Creating template database in /postgresql/pgsql/data/base/template1
Creating global classes in /postgresql/pgsql/data/base
Adding template1 database to pg_database...
Vacuuming template1
Creating public pg_user view
Creating view pg_rules
Creating view pg_views
Creating view pg_tables
Creating view pg_indexes
</OUTPUT>

Seems OK to me, but when I run postgres (after starting the ipc daemon) with:
postgres.exe -i
I get the following error-message:

<OUTPUT>
FATAL 1:  Database romkur does not exist in pg_database
FATAL 1:  Database romkur does not exist in pg_database
</OUTPUT>

Does anybody know a work-around for this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Roman

PS: /etc/passwd exists and it contains the correct UID. I'm using Windows
NT with Cygnus b20. The same error occurs with postgresql 6.5 and 6.5.3.

--
Roman Kurmanowytsch
Vienna, Austria

Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
Roman Kurmanowytsch wrote:
  >Seems OK to me, but when I run postgres (after starting the ipc daemon) with
      >:
  >postgres.exe -i
  >I get the following error-message:
  >
  ><OUTPUT>
  >FATAL 1:  Database romkur does not exist in pg_database
  >FATAL 1:  Database romkur does not exist in pg_database
  ></OUTPUT>

There is no database called "romkur", because you haven't yet created it.

When initdb is run, it creates a database called template1; this is the
only database that exists until you create some more.

When you try to connect as a database user, postgres assumes you want
your eponymous database, unless you tell it different.  So tell it
you want to connect to template1.

     "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them
      in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the
      Holy Ghost; Teaching them to observe all things
      whatsoever I have commanded you; and, lo, I am with
      you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
                     Matthew 28:19,20

Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL

От
Roman Kurmanowytsch
Дата:
Oliver,

>There is no database called "romkur", because you haven't yet created it.
>
>When initdb is run, it creates a database called template1; this is the
>only database that exists until you create some more.
>
>When you try to connect as a database user, postgres assumes you want
>your eponymous database, unless you tell it different.  So tell it
>you want to connect to template1.

Sorry, I don't get it.

From the postgresql-6.5.2/INSTALL file:
18. $ initdb...
19. Set up permissions to access the database...
20. Briefly test that the backend will start and
    run by running it from the command line.
    a. Start the postmaster daemon running in the
       background by typing
       $ cd
       $ nohup postmaster -i > pgserver.log 2>&1 &

And at this point it crashes. I'm not able to run the postmaster to create
a new db (or access an old one). I am not trying to run psql (which needs
the db name it should access).

Cheers,

Roman

--
Roman Kurmanowytsch
Vienna, Austria
e-mail:   romank@infosys.tuwien.ac.at
icq:      55302169
pgp, www: http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9327324/

Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 07:44:39PM +0100, Roman Kurmanowytsch wrote:
> Oliver,
>
> >There is no database called "romkur", because you haven't yet created it.
> >
> >When initdb is run, it creates a database called template1; this is the
> >only database that exists until you create some more.
> >
> >When you try to connect as a database user, postgres assumes you want
> >your eponymous database, unless you tell it different.  So tell it
> >you want to connect to template1.
>
> Sorry, I don't get it.
>
> >From the postgresql-6.5.2/INSTALL file:
> 18. $ initdb...
> 19. Set up permissions to access the database...
> 20. Briefly test that the backend will start and
>     run by running it from the command line.
>     a. Start the postmaster daemon running in the
>        background by typing
>        $ cd
>        $ nohup postmaster -i > pgserver.log 2>&1 &

From your first post to HACKERS:

> Seems OK to me, but when I run postgres (after starting the ipc daemon) with:
> postgres.exe -i
> I get the following error-message:

Postgres is different than postmaster. Although they're the same
executable, you get different behavior based on the name it's invoked
as. As postmaster, it's the daemon that serves incoming connections. As
postgres, it starts up a 'backend' proceess that access the db files. So,
yes, by running postgres.exe you _were_ trying to access the database
romkur.

Ross

NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
"Ross J. Reedstrom" wrote:
  >On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 07:44:39PM +0100, Roman Kurmanowytsch wrote:
  >Postgres is different than postmaster. Although they're the same
  >executable, you get different behavior based on the name it's invoked
  >as. As postmaster, it's the daemon that serves incoming connections. As
  >postgres, it starts up a 'backend' proceess that access the db files. So,
  >yes, by running postgres.exe you _were_ trying to access the database
  >romkur.

I thought maybe this was a weird feature of the Windows implementation,
which I have never seen; of course, the normal PostgreSQL frontend is
psql, not postgres.  I think psql[.exe?] is what you should be running.

     "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them
      in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the
      Holy Ghost; Teaching them to observe all things
      whatsoever I have commanded you; and, lo, I am with
      you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
                     Matthew 28:19,20

Re: [ADMIN] Cannot install postgreSQL

От
Roman Kurmanowytsch
Дата:
Ross,

Thanks for your reply.

>Postgres is different than postmaster. Although they're the same
>executable, you get different behavior based on the name it's invoked
>as. As postmaster, it's the daemon that serves incoming connections. As
>postgres, it starts up a 'backend' proceess that access the db files. So,
>yes, by running postgres.exe you _were_ trying to access the database
>romkur.

Ouch.

After a long struggle with Cygwin I finally managed to start the postmaster
(I had to create a new symbolic link because the installed one doesn't work
- even with System-attribute set).

Thanks again for your help,

Roman