Обсуждение: COPY slows down; is it normal?

COPY slows down; is it normal?

От
"Gene Selkov Jr."
Дата:
Hi,

I am watching the progress of a COPY from a 2 megarow table. It seems to slow down almost exponentially. The database
filegrew at about 2 megabytes a minute in the beginning and now, 20 hours since started, it grows at 80 kilobytes a
minute.The table has 7 columns of char and int types, the last column is text. The scene is a dual 400MHz i586 running
RedHat5.1 and postgres 6.3.2, as originally distributed, no patches. As far as I can tell by 'tail | strings | tail' on
thedatabase file, it is more than halfway there, but such exponential slowdown makes me anxious. Other users will have
totake vacation:

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT  LIB %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
14778 postgres  10   0  2840 2588  2124 R       0 98.2  1.0  1273m postgres

Last time I tried to load the same table without the last column, COPY took 4 hours and hash on one of the columns took
7.

Is there any room for improvement?

Thanks,

Gene

Re: [ADMIN] COPY slows down; is it normal?

От
"Gene Selkov Jr."
Дата:
Hi, I just complained about the slow copy operation a few hours ago. I think it came to uneventful end, at least as far
asI can tell (nothing too bad in the logfile). The psql client I used to start this copy command detached at some point
becauseof the network timeout, but the backend itself seemed to be working all the time and it finished just recently.
Asa result, I have a huge table that I can't query.

This query runs for a minute and returns nothing:

emp=> select count(*) from key
tag|id|rel|pos|item|unit|data
(0 rows)

Likewise, any other query against this table retrns nothing. Is there anything that might go wrong because the client
detached?Can I fix it?

Thanks,

Gene