Обсуждение: Importing data

Importing data

От
Jeffrey Napolitano
Дата:
I'm new to Postgres(or otherwise I probably wouldn't be sending this),
and I've gone through the HTML docs online, and looked at the man pages,
but I can't find anything about importing ODBC compliant data into
postgres ... I assumed this was possible ... am I wrong?  If not, could
someone point me in the right direction?

Thanx in advance,

Jeff Napolitano

Re: [ADMIN] Importing data

От
Mike Edwards
Дата:
On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Jeffrey Napolitano wrote:

> I'm new to Postgres(or otherwise I probably wouldn't be sending this),
> and I've gone through the HTML docs online, and looked at the man pages,
> but I can't find anything about importing ODBC compliant data into
> postgres ... I assumed this was possible ... am I wrong?  If not, could
> someone point me in the right direction?

Check out the PostODBC drivers at one of the sites below.  The first is
sometimes down and I don't know how often it's updated, but the second
will have the files you need.  I successfully used it to create tables in
M$ Access and then shuttled the data to PostgreSQL.

http://postodbc.magenet.com
http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc/

Good luck!
Mike

==========================
Mike Edwards, MIS
Edwards Graphic Arts, Inc.
mailto:medwards@ega.com

Re: [ADMIN] Importing data

От
David Hartwig

Jeffrey Napolitano wrote:

> I'm new to Postgres(or otherwise I probably wouldn't be sending this),
> and I've gone through the HTML docs online, and looked at the man pages,
> but I can't find anything about importing ODBC compliant data into
> postgres ... I assumed this was possible ... am I wrong?  If not, could
> someone point me in the right direction?

This can go in any direction.    Need more information.

What do you intend to use as your interface?   Or client application?

Where is the data that you want to import?

Re: [ADMIN] Importing data

От
David Hartwig

Mike Edwards wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Jeffrey Napolitano wrote:
>
> > I'm new to Postgres(or otherwise I probably wouldn't be sending this),
> > and I've gone through the HTML docs online, and looked at the man pages,
> > but I can't find anything about importing ODBC compliant data into
> > postgres ... I assumed this was possible ... am I wrong?  If not, could
> > someone point me in the right direction?
>
> Check out the PostODBC drivers at one of the sites below.  The first is
> sometimes down and I don't know how often it's updated, but the second
> will have the files you need.  I successfully used it to create tables in
> M$ Access and then shuttled the data to PostgreSQL.
>
> http://postodbc.magenet.com

The above version is not being supported!

> http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc/

Re: [ADMIN] Importing data

От
Jeffrey Napolitano
Дата:
> > I'm new to Postgres(or otherwise I probably wouldn't be sending this),
> > and I've gone through the HTML docs online, and looked at the man pages,
> > but I can't find anything about importing ODBC compliant data into
> > postgres ... I assumed this was possible ... am I wrong?  If not, could
> > someone point me in the right direction?

I simply want to put a bunch of data into PostgreSQL ...

> This can go in any direction.    Need more information.
>
> What do you intend to use as your interface?   Or client application

The data I am import is in a textfile, with comma delimited fields, in
the form:

"field", "field2", "field3", ...

Each "entry" is on its own line.

Is this enough information...? I'm afraid I don't know the first step
here, but I imagine there MUST be a way to dump this data into Postgres

> Where is the data that you want to import?

Re: [ADMIN] Importing data

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Jeffrey Napolitano wrote:

> > > I'm new to Postgres(or otherwise I probably wouldn't be sending this),
> > > and I've gone through the HTML docs online, and looked at the man pages,
> > > but I can't find anything about importing ODBC compliant data into
> > > postgres ... I assumed this was possible ... am I wrong?  If not, could
> > > someone point me in the right direction?
> >

> I simply want to put a bunch of data into PostgreSQL ...
>
> > This can go in any direction.    Need more information.
> >
> > What do you intend to use as your interface?   Or client application

    Odd, haven't got a clue where these questions came from :)

> The data I am import is in a textfile, with comma delimited fields, in
> the form:
>
> "field", "field2", "field3", ...
>
> Each "entry" is on its own line.
>
> Is this enough information...? I'm afraid I don't know the first step
> here, but I imagine there MUST be a way to dump this data into Postgres

    Check out the 'copy' command (there is a man page for it)...it
allows you to import, by default, TAB delimited files, but there is a
'using delimiter' extension for doing others...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org