Обсуждение: Greenplum warning message

Greenplum warning message

От
Per Wigren
Дата:
When connecting to Greenplum with pgAdmin v1.20.0 on OSX, it always pops up a warning dialog saying:

"Warning: The server you are connecting to is not a version that is supported by this release of pgAdmin III. pgAdmin III may not function as expected. Supported server versions are 8.4 to 9.4."

However, everything I've tried seems to work as expected. Also, the introduction section on the front page of pgadmin.org says that Greenplum is supported by pgAdmin III. It even has special support for some of its unique features.

Is there a way to get rid of this message? We have preliminary plans to deploy a Greenplum cluster for 200+ users during next year, most of which are using pgAdmin III with PostgreSQL 9.4 today and will continue to do so with Greenplum. Is there something we can do to turn off that warning message, server side or client side?

BTW, Greenplum is Open Source nowadays. It is very easy to compile if you want to test it: http://greenplum.org

Regards, Per

Re: Greenplum warning message

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:01 PM, Per Wigren <per.wigren@gmail.com> wrote:
> When connecting to Greenplum with pgAdmin v1.20.0 on OSX, it always pops up
> a warning dialog saying:
>
> "Warning: The server you are connecting to is not a version that is
> supported by this release of pgAdmin III. pgAdmin III may not function as
> expected. Supported server versions are 8.4 to 9.4."
>
> However, everything I've tried seems to work as expected. Also, the
> introduction section on the front page of pgadmin.org says that Greenplum is
> supported by pgAdmin III. It even has special support for some of its unique
> features.
>
> Is there a way to get rid of this message? We have preliminary plans to
> deploy a Greenplum cluster for 200+ users during next year, most of which
> are using pgAdmin III with PostgreSQL 9.4 today and will continue to do so
> with Greenplum. Is there something we can do to turn off that warning
> message, server side or client side?

What version does GP report itself as if you do "SELECT version()"?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Greenplum warning message

От
Per Wigren
Дата:

What version does GP report itself as if you do "SELECT version()"?

PostgreSQL 8.2.15 (Greenplum Database 4.3.6.1 build 2) on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.4.2 compiled on Oct  1 2015 15:14:22

It was originally forked from PostgreSQL 8.2.15 but they have backported and/or developed many of the features of newer versions in parallel (no pun intended), including protocol and system table changes used by modern drivers and client tools like pgAdmin.

// Per

Re: Greenplum warning message

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Per Wigren <per.wigren@gmail.com> wrote:

>> What version does GP report itself as if you do "SELECT version()"?
>>

> PostgreSQL 8.2.15 (Greenplum Database 4.3.6.1 build 2) on
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.4.2 compiled on Oct  1
> 2015 15:14:22
>
> It was originally forked from PostgreSQL 8.2.15 but they have backported
> and/or developed many of the features of newer versions in parallel (no pun
> intended), including protocol and system table changes used by modern
> drivers and client tools like pgAdmin.

I thought the code they were releasing was supposed to be based on a
newer version?

In any case, in principal I don't object to fixing the message to not
be shown on GP, however we really need someone to test it properly
first to be sure that there are no problems. At one point that was
done by Greenplum, but not at present (as far as I know).
Unfortunately that's not something I or my team at EDB can do.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Greenplum warning message

От
Per Wigren
Дата:
No, they have just started the process of merging upstream, starting with the same version they forked from, then merging forward a few commits at at time. That is a huge undertaking so I suspect that it will take quite a while before there is a stable release based on modern PostgreSQL.

I would very much like to have the warning dialog removed before the next pgAdmin3 release. Everything I have tried works as good as with PostgreSQL 9.4:
 * Connecting
 * Running queries
 * Viewing Greenplum specific explain plans
 * Table definitions show Greenplum specific syntax like DISTRIBUTED BY
 * Editing functions, views and rules work
 * Other Greenplum specific things like viewing Resource Queues and External Tables (similar to foreign tables) work properly
 * Table properties/statistics/dependencies/dependents work
 * Creating/dropping/modifying users/roles work
 * Server status works

// Per

tis 1 dec. 2015 kl 13:09 skrev Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Per Wigren <per.wigren@gmail.com> wrote:

>> What version does GP report itself as if you do "SELECT version()"?
>>

> PostgreSQL 8.2.15 (Greenplum Database 4.3.6.1 build 2) on
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.4.2 compiled on Oct  1
> 2015 15:14:22
>
> It was originally forked from PostgreSQL 8.2.15 but they have backported
> and/or developed many of the features of newer versions in parallel (no pun
> intended), including protocol and system table changes used by modern
> drivers and client tools like pgAdmin.

I thought the code they were releasing was supposed to be based on a
newer version?

In any case, in principal I don't object to fixing the message to not
be shown on GP, however we really need someone to test it properly
first to be sure that there are no problems. At one point that was
done by Greenplum, but not at present (as far as I know).
Unfortunately that's not something I or my team at EDB can do.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Greenplum warning message

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Per Wigren <per.wigren@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, they have just started the process of merging upstream, starting with
> the same version they forked from, then merging forward a few commits at at
> time. That is a huge undertaking so I suspect that it will take quite a
> while before there is a stable release based on modern PostgreSQL.
>
> I would very much like to have the warning dialog removed before the next
> pgAdmin3 release. Everything I have tried works as good as with PostgreSQL
> 9.4:
>  * Connecting
>  * Running queries
>  * Viewing Greenplum specific explain plans
>  * Table definitions show Greenplum specific syntax like DISTRIBUTED BY
>  * Editing functions, views and rules work
>  * Other Greenplum specific things like viewing Resource Queues and External
> Tables (similar to foreign tables) work properly
>  * Table properties/statistics/dependencies/dependents work
>  * Creating/dropping/modifying users/roles work
>  * Server status works
>
> // Per

Are you able to test the attached patch?

> tis 1 dec. 2015 kl 13:09 skrev Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:

>> > PostgreSQL 8.2.15 (Greenplum Database 4.3.6.1 build 2) on
>> > x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.4.2 compiled on
>> > Oct  1
>> > 2015 15:14:22
>> >
>> > It was originally forked from PostgreSQL 8.2.15 but they have backported
>> > and/or developed many of the features of newer versions in parallel (no
>> > pun
>> > intended), including protocol and system table changes used by modern
>> > drivers and client tools like pgAdmin.
>>
>> I thought the code they were releasing was supposed to be based on a
>> newer version?
>>
>> In any case, in principal I don't object to fixing the message to not
>> be shown on GP, however we really need someone to test it properly
>> first to be sure that there are no problems. At one point that was
>> done by Greenplum, but not at present (as far as I know).
>> Unfortunately that's not something I or my team at EDB can do.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Page
>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>> Twitter: @pgsnake