Обсуждение: OSX UI Crashes

OSX UI Crashes

От
Dave Barter

We’ve developed a 20,000 line+ workflow in PL/PGSQL pgadmin is by far the best tool for developing and debugging the PL/PGSQL scripts

But we use OSX as our office platform and are seeing continuing UI crashes in two cases.

Case 1, we have a number of query windows open and maybe a fair amount of message text in the Message panel from RAISE NOTICE outputs. Resizing the window from either the bottom right corner control or the Message panel crashes PGADMIN completely. It is hard to recreate the issue consistently, I believe it is linked to output being in the message panel.

Case 2, using the debugger it is easy to crash the UI after extended use, this may be down to multiple developers hitting the same instance of Postgres when a single user is debugging a function

Case 2 we can live with. case 1 is causing no end of heartache and I bet is down to a problem with the WX control not PGAdmin. Is there anything we can do to help or proactively fix this, bearing in mind we are SQL developers and have very little C++ in the office.

Finally, can I lobby for a tabbed view when using the query window. Would make developing that little more joyful ;-)

This error happens in all versions of PGADMIN 1.18 upwards, we’re currently testing the beta 1.20 but can cause it in earlier versions.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

--
Dave Barter

Web: http://www.phased.co.uk
Email:dave@phased.co.uk
Twitter:@Citizenfishy

Re: OSX UI Crashes

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
20,000line+ workflow in PL/PGSQL pgadmin is by far the best tool for developing and debugging the PL/PGSQL scripts<br
/>><br /> ><br /> > But we use OSX as our office platform and are seeing continuing UI crashes in two
messagetext in the Message panel from RAISE NOTICE outputs. Resizing the window from either the bottom right corner
controlor the Message panel crashes PGADMIN completely. It is hard to recreate the issue consistently, I believe it is
crashthe UI after extended use, this may be down to multiple developers hitting the same instance of Postgres when a
ofheartache and I bet is down to a problem with the WX control not PGAdmin. Is there anything we can do to help or
proactivelyfix this, bearing in mind we are SQL developers and have very little C++ in the office.<br /> ><p
dir="ltr">Iwon't be able to help you there as I don't have a Mac anymore...<p dir="ltr">> Finally, can I lobby for a
tabbedview when using the query window. Would make developing that little more joyful ;-)<br /> ><p dir="ltr">...
ButI'd be interested in knowing more about this. What kind of view would you like?<p dir="ltr">><br /> > This
errorhappens in all versions of PGADMIN 1.18 upwards, we’re currently testing the beta 1.20 but can cause it in earlier
<ahref="mailto:Email%3Adave@phased.co.uk">Email:dave@phased.co.uk</a><br /> > Twitter:@Citizenfishy

Re: OSX UI Crashes

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Hey,

Please, keep the thread on the mailing list.

> Case 2 we can live with. case 1 is causing no end of heartache and I bet is down to a problem with the WX control not PGAdmin. Is there anything we can do to help or proactively fix this, bearing in mind we are SQL developers and have very little C++ in the office.

I won't be able to help you there as I don't have a Mac anymore...

[DAVE] I can help as I can now recreate it using function we have developed. Let me know what I can do to aid in debug fix? If it is not too much effort I could set up a dev environment on my Mac and look at it in more detail, would need some guidance on this.

No way I'm doing this without being able to debug it myself.

> Finally, can I lobby for a tabbed view when using the query window. Would make developing that little more joyful ;-)

... But I'd be interested in knowing more about this. What kind of view would you like?

[DAVE] Instead of opening a new query window, I would like the option to open a tab, named either “untitled” or the file name of the query opened. Showing the function/table/view etc… name would also be good when opened by right clicking on “CREATE Script”. This would reduce a lot of desktop clutter when developing across multiple functions/views/tables etc..

Oh OK, I understand. Yeah, that could be interesting. The issue is that we already have tabs for the text query and the graphical query editor.

 Also, while I’m at it a decent JSON editing solution is desperately needed. Currently we paste out to an editor and back it which is a real mess.

Having custom editors for some types would definitely be an improvment. Yet, I know no one working on this.