Обсуждение: 1.15 Dev with wxwidgets 2.9.3

1.15 Dev with wxwidgets 2.9.3

От
Colin Beckingham
Дата:
Inspired by Guillaume's successful compile of the dev version with 2.9.x
I felt adventurous and installed wxWidgets 2.9.3 (from source, no 2.9.x
version available from opensuse yet) and tried to recompile pgadmin3,
which failed:

checking wxWidgets version... failed
configure: error: The version of wxWidgets required (2.8) is not
supported by the installations in /usr/local.

Opensuse 12.1, pgadmin latest 1.15 dev from git.

configure of wxwidgets with:

./configure --with-gtk --enable-gtk2 --enable-unicode

make & make install apparently successful. Ran ldconfig. System reboot,
no apparent issues.

Ran make uninstall, make clean in wxwidgets, reinstalled
wxwidgets-container + devel (2.8.x) with Yast, but configure problem in
pgadmin persists.

My current version of pgadmin3 previously compiled is still working,
just cannot update.

--
---
Colin Beckingham

Re: 1.15 Dev with wxwidgets 2.9.3

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Colin Beckingham <colbec@start.ca> wrote:
> Inspired by Guillaume's successful compile of the dev version with 2.9.x I
> felt adventurous and installed wxWidgets 2.9.3 (from source, no 2.9.x
> version available from opensuse yet) and tried to recompile pgadmin3, which
> failed:
>
> checking wxWidgets version... failed
> configure: error: The version of wxWidgets required (2.8) is not supported
> by the installations in /usr/local.
>
> Opensuse 12.1, pgadmin latest 1.15 dev from git.
>
> configure of wxwidgets with:
>
> ./configure --with-gtk --enable-gtk2 --enable-unicode
>
> make & make install apparently successful. Ran ldconfig. System reboot, no
> apparent issues.
>
> Ran make uninstall, make clean in wxwidgets, reinstalled wxwidgets-container
> + devel (2.8.x) with Yast, but configure problem in pgadmin persists.
>
> My current version of pgadmin3 previously compiled is still working, just
> cannot update.

Sounds like you didn't tell pgAdmin's configure script to use
wxWidgets 2.9, eg. ./configure --with-wx-version=2.9

If that's not it, please send the config.log file.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: 1.15 Dev with wxwidgets 2.9.3

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 15:02 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Colin Beckingham <colbec@start.ca> wrote:
> > Inspired by Guillaume's successful compile of the dev version with 2.9.x I
> > felt adventurous and installed wxWidgets 2.9.3 (from source, no 2.9.x
> > version available from opensuse yet) and tried to recompile pgadmin3, which
> > failed:
> >
> > checking wxWidgets version... failed
> > configure: error: The version of wxWidgets required (2.8) is not supported
> > by the installations in /usr/local.
> >
> > Opensuse 12.1, pgadmin latest 1.15 dev from git.
> >
> > configure of wxwidgets with:
> >
> > ./configure --with-gtk --enable-gtk2 --enable-unicode
> >
> > make & make install apparently successful. Ran ldconfig. System reboot, no
> > apparent issues.
> >
> > Ran make uninstall, make clean in wxwidgets, reinstalled wxwidgets-container
> > + devel (2.8.x) with Yast, but configure problem in pgadmin persists.
> >
> > My current version of pgadmin3 previously compiled is still working, just
> > cannot update.
>
> Sounds like you didn't tell pgAdmin's configure script to use
> wxWidgets 2.9, eg. ./configure --with-wx-version=2.9

You may also need --with-wx to set the wxWidgets 2.9 installation path.

We are really interested to know what kind of issues you'll have with
wxWidgets 2.9. There has been not a lot of checks with this release, so
any issues you find are definitely interesting.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

On 03/03/2012 10:02 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Colin Beckingham<colbec@start.ca>  wrote:
>> Inspired by Guillaume's successful compile of the dev version with 2.9.x I
>> felt adventurous and installed wxWidgets 2.9.3 (from source, no 2.9.x
>> version available from opensuse yet) and tried to recompile pgadmin3, which
>> failed:
>>
>> checking wxWidgets version... failed
>> configure: error: The version of wxWidgets required (2.8) is not supported
>> by the installations in /usr/local.
>>
>> Opensuse 12.1, pgadmin latest 1.15 dev from git.
>>
>> configure of wxwidgets with:
>>
>> ./configure --with-gtk --enable-gtk2 --enable-unicode
>>
>> make&  make install apparently successful. Ran ldconfig. System reboot, no
>> apparent issues.
>>
>> Ran make uninstall, make clean in wxwidgets, reinstalled wxwidgets-container
>> + devel (2.8.x) with Yast, but configure problem in pgadmin persists.
>>
>> My current version of pgadmin3 previously compiled is still working, just
>> cannot update.
>
> Sounds like you didn't tell pgAdmin's configure script to use
> wxWidgets 2.9, eg. ./configure --with-wx-version=2.9
>
> If that's not it, please send the config.log file.

Correctamundo, pgadmin now compiles with wxwidgets 2.9. thank you.

On 03/03/2012 10:36 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 15:02 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Colin Beckingham<colbec@start.ca>  wrote:
>>> Inspired by Guillaume's successful compile of the dev version with 2.9.x I
>>> felt adventurous and installed wxWidgets 2.9.3 (from source, no 2.9.x
>>> version available from opensuse yet) and tried to recompile pgadmin3, which
>>> failed:
>>>
>>> checking wxWidgets version... failed
>>> configure: error: The version of wxWidgets required (2.8) is not supported
>>> by the installations in /usr/local.
>>>
>>> Opensuse 12.1, pgadmin latest 1.15 dev from git.
>>>
>>> configure of wxwidgets with:
>>>
>>> ./configure --with-gtk --enable-gtk2 --enable-unicode
>>>
>>> make&  make install apparently successful. Ran ldconfig. System reboot, no
>>> apparent issues.
>>>
>>> Ran make uninstall, make clean in wxwidgets, reinstalled wxwidgets-container
>>> + devel (2.8.x) with Yast, but configure problem in pgadmin persists.
>>>
>>> My current version of pgadmin3 previously compiled is still working, just
>>> cannot update.
>>
>> Sounds like you didn't tell pgAdmin's configure script to use
>> wxWidgets 2.9, eg. ./configure --with-wx-version=2.9
>>

> You may also need --with-wx to set the wxWidgets 2.9 installation path.
>
> We are really interested to know what kind of issues you'll have with
> wxWidgets 2.9. There has been not a lot of checks with this release, so
> any issues you find are definitely interesting.

The comment by D. Page was enough to allow it to compile.

I have already hit an error, will post in new thread.

--
---
Colin Beckingham
613-454-5369
http://www.it4gh.com

Re: 1.15 Dev with wxwidgets 2.9.3

От
zgilboa
Дата:
<<
<< We are really interested to know what kind of issues you'll have with
<< wxWidgets 2.9. There has been not a lot of checks with this release, so
<< any issues you find are definitely interesting.

*IsEmpty* now has some ambiguity issues: see for instance ldg/ldgServer.cpp
my intuition was to change IsEmpty to IsTextEmpty
the wxWidgets 2.9 online documentation has a paragraph about it, see:

http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_combo_box.html

Cheers!
ZG

Re: 1.15 Dev with wxwidgets 2.9.3

От
Dave Page

<< We are really interested to know what kind of issues you'll have with
<< wxWidgets 2.9. There has been not a lot of checks with this release, so
<< any issues you find are definitely interesting.

*IsEmpty* now has some ambiguity issues: see for instance ldg/ldgServer.cpp
my intuition was to change IsEmpty to IsTextEmpty
the wxWidgets 2.9 online documentation has a paragraph about it, see:

http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_combo_box.html

Hmm, looks like that is a change in 2.9.4 (it works OK in 2.9.3). I'm not sure I want to go chasing this one yet - it seems like a widespread change that will be somewhat hard to find without the compiler throwing errors. Better to wait until 2.9.4 is released I think (rather than start continuously updating for upcoming versions).

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: 1.15 Dev with wxwidgets 2.9.3

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 15:40 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM, zgilboa <zgilboa@virginia.edu> wrote:
>
> > <<
> > << We are really interested to know what kind of issues you'll have with
> > << wxWidgets 2.9. There has been not a lot of checks with this release, so
> > << any issues you find are definitely interesting.
> >

> > *IsEmpty* now has some ambiguity issues: see for instance ldg/ldgServer.cpp
> > my intuition was to change IsEmpty to IsTextEmpty
> > the wxWidgets 2.9 online documentation has a paragraph about it, see:
> >
> > http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_combo_box.html
>

> Hmm, looks like that is a change in 2.9.4 (it works OK in 2.9.3). I'm not
> sure I want to go chasing this one yet - it seems like a widespread change
> that will be somewhat hard to find without the compiler throwing errors.
> Better to wait until 2.9.4 is released I think (rather than start
> continuously updating for upcoming versions).

+1

There are already quite a lot of stuff to fix before this one.