Обсуждение: pgadmin error - sql window

pgadmin error - sql window

От
Chris Kelley
Дата:
Hi,

I have a persistent PgAdmin problem - when I click the SQL window icon from the PgAdmin main window, the program freezes and must be force-closed. This happens without fail, and this behavior has persisted despite reinstalls, registry wipes, and upgrades. I believe this behavior first occurred after trying to process to parse a wikipedia dump file with a massive (~100 Mb) query. I can still execute queries using the psql console window, but as I'm fairly new to full-blown sql (coming from Access) this really slows down the development process. Currently I am using PgAdminIII 1.12.2. This issue is limited to my work desktop computer (Dell T1500 quadcore with Windows 7 32-bit), which does have a centrally managed Symantec Endpoint antivirus installed. My personal netbook is running the same version of PgAdminIII without issue.

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer, and would be happy to supply additional info if needed.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Re: pgadmin error - sql window

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Chris Kelley <iamchriskelley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a persistent PgAdmin problem - when I click the SQL window icon from
> the PgAdmin main window, the program freezes and must be force-closed. This
> happens without fail, and this behavior has persisted despite reinstalls,
> registry wipes, and upgrades. I believe this behavior first occurred after
> trying to process to parse a wikipedia dump file with a massive (~100 Mb)
> query. I can still execute queries using the psql console window, but as I'm
> fairly new to full-blown sql (coming from Access) this really slows down the
> development process. Currently I am using PgAdminIII 1.12.2. This issue is
> limited to my work desktop computer (Dell T1500 quadcore with Windows 7
> 32-bit), which does have a centrally managed Symantec Endpoint antivirus
> installed. My personal netbook is running the same version of PgAdminIII
> without issue.
> I'd really appreciate any help you can offer, and would be happy to supply
> additional info if needed.

Sounds like you've hit a known bug which should be fixed in 1.12.3,
due to be released in the next few days. Try deleting the
pgadmin_histoqueries.xml file which stores the query history - it
should be in %APPDATA%\postgresql\

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgadmin error - sql window

От
"Strasser, Rudolf"
Дата:
style="font-size:8.0pt;mso-fareast-language:EN-US"></span><pclass="MsoNormal"> </div>

Re: pgadmin error - sql window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 23:53 -0800, Strasser, Rudolf wrote:
> seems like this bug is still there in 1.14.0

Seems like you'll have to provide much more informations to show us it's
still broken and to finally fix it.

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com

Re: pgadmin error - sql window

От
"Strasser, Rudolf"
Дата:
Hi Guillaume,

well, I feared that this would happen. I clicked the reply button on
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-support/2011-04/msg00007.phpwhich fired up mail. I was (naively ) hoping that
yoursystem is super smart to reattach it to the thread.

So, the issue is that PGADMIN still hung once I try to open a SQL Window until I deleted the file mentioned in the
thread,even though I had installed Version 1.14.

Besides that, I'm always pleased with PGADMIN, it's my lifeline...... thanks everybody for making such a good tool!

Best regards,
Rudi

On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 23:53 -0800, Strasser, Rudolf wrote:
> seems like this bug is still there in 1.14.0

Seems like you'll have to provide much more informations to show us it's still broken and to finally fix it.

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com

Re: pgadmin error - sql window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 06:04 -0800, Strasser, Rudolf wrote:
> Hi Guillaume,
>
> well, I feared that this would happen. I clicked the reply button on
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-support/2011-04/msg00007.phpwhich fired up mail. I was (naively ) hoping that
yoursystem is super smart to reattach it to the thread.

My system isn't supersmart, but I definitely understood you were talking
about this.

> So, the issue is that PGADMIN still hung once I try to open a SQL Window until I deleted the file mentioned in the
thread,even though I had installed Version 1.14.

Well, the installer doesn't delete the old file, you need to do this
yourself. Now that you did it, you shouldn't have any more issues of
that sort with this file.

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com

Re: pgadmin error - sql window

От
Doug Easterbrook
Дата:
hi Guillaume/Rudolf

I'd like to add a comment or two to this that might help point the issue in a direction.

I've been using pgadmin 1.14 with postgres 9.1.1 for the past month or so and it has been working fine for me. (I use
OSX10.6.8)

then one day I could connect to the server, but going to the SQL window would hang on me.   I had no clue what was
goingon.   Simply hang and chew up a huge amount of CPU.  Eventually, if I didn't kill PGadmin, it would cause my
machineto die a slow horrible death and I'd need to restart.

I tried reinstalling - still had issues.
Finally, I went to  my home directory and deleted the .pgadmin_histoqueries file and PGadmin started to work.

The same thing happened again a couple of days later and I had to do the same thing, delete the  .pgadmin_histoqueries
toget it to work again.

What was the difference that I got hurt only those two days.   Well, in those two days I was pasting in a lot of rather
longstored procedures to the SQL window.   these procedures were about 300 lines each.

Once you've done 9 or 10 pastes of large functions (they are each saved in the histoquery file), then I'd see the
issue.

In other words, the histoquery file was full of stored procedure code and not the typical small queries.

Clearing fixed it.     I did that a second time that day, clearing fixed it.    I did it 2 days later, clearing fixed
it.

I've only pasted a few large stored procedures in recently, but I've simply made it a practice to do some normal
queriesbefore I quit.

Not sure if those are the same symptoms, but its is how I made PGadmin fail opening the SQL browser.

Doug Easterbrook
Arts Management Systems Ltd.
mailto:doug@artsman.com
http://www.artsman.com
Phone (403) 536-1205    Fax (403) 536-1210

On Nov 17, 2011, at 7:34 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 06:04 -0800, Strasser, Rudolf wrote:
>> Hi Guillaume,
>>
>> well, I feared that this would happen. I clicked the reply button on
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-support/2011-04/msg00007.phpwhich fired up mail. I was (naively ) hoping that
yoursystem is super smart to reattach it to the thread.

> My system isn't supersmart, but I definitely understood you were talking
> about this.
>
>> So, the issue is that PGADMIN still hung once I try to open a SQL Window until I deleted the file mentioned in the
thread,even though I had installed Version 1.14.

> Well, the installer doesn't delete the old file, you need to do this
> yourself. Now that you did it, you shouldn't have any more issues of
> that sort with this file.
>

> --
> Guillaume
>  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
>  http://www.dalibo.com

Re: pgadmin error - sql window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 07:57 -0700, Doug Easterbrook wrote:
[...]
> Not sure if those are the same symptoms, but its is how I made PGadmin fail opening the SQL browser.

One of my colleagues found a bug in the loading of this file. This may
relate to your issues. He gave me the histoqueries file so that I can
reproduce the issue. And I did. I didn't fix the bug yet (it's fairly
late here), so I'll work on his issue later. But I guess you can do that
too. If you still have the issue, please, send me
your .pgadmin_histoqueries file, so that I can work on your issue.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com

Re: pgadmin error - sql window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Mon, 2011-11-21 at 00:09 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 07:57 -0700, Doug Easterbrook wrote:
> [...]
> > Not sure if those are the same symptoms, but its is how I made PGadmin fail opening the SQL browser.
> >

> One of my colleagues found a bug in the loading of this file. This may
> relate to your issues. He gave me the histoqueries file so that I can
> reproduce the issue. And I did. I didn't fix the bug yet (it's fairly
> late here), so I'll work on his issue later. But I guess you can do that
> too. If you still have the issue, please, send me
> your .pgadmin_histoqueries file, so that I can work on your issue.

I looked into that bug today. It seems my colleague's file has a strange
byte in it (0x05, that I can put too with Ctrl-Alt-E on my Fedora). Do
you have any special characters in your .pgadmin_histoqueries file?

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com

Re: pgadmin error - sql window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 18:33 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-11-21 at 00:09 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 07:57 -0700, Doug Easterbrook wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Not sure if those are the same symptoms, but its is how I made PGadmin fail opening the SQL browser.
> > >

> > One of my colleagues found a bug in the loading of this file. This may
> > relate to your issues. He gave me the histoqueries file so that I can
> > reproduce the issue. And I did. I didn't fix the bug yet (it's fairly
> > late here), so I'll work on his issue later. But I guess you can do that
> > too. If you still have the issue, please, send me
> > your .pgadmin_histoqueries file, so that I can work on your issue.
> >

> I looked into that bug today. It seems my colleague's file has a strange
> byte in it (0x05, that I can put too with Ctrl-Alt-E on my Fedora). Do
> you have any special characters in your .pgadmin_histoqueries file?

Finally nailed it. The fix will be in 1.14.2. If you want to make sure
it will fix his issue, you can either try the patch yourself, or you can
send me your .pgadmin_histoqueries file so that I can check (and fix if
it's another bug).

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com