Обсуждение: Minor UI issues for Server Properties dialog box

Minor UI issues for Server Properties dialog box

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Nothing showstopping, but:

1) After you make changes in the Server Properties dialog, it gives you
the fairly useless message that "Some changes will not take effect until
the next time pgAdmin connects to the server".  The reason this message
is useless (and annoying) is that pgAdmin prevents you from changing
those fields unless you are disconnected from the server in the first place.

2) Changes to server properties are not saved until the user shuts down
pgAdmin.  This means that in the event of a crash all server property
changes are lost.

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Minor UI issues for Server Properties dialog box

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 15/01/2011 23:58, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Nothing showstopping, but:
>
> 1) After you make changes in the Server Properties dialog, it gives you
> the fairly useless message that "Some changes will not take effect until
> the next time pgAdmin connects to the server".  The reason this message
> is useless (and annoying) is that pgAdmin prevents you from changing
> those fields unless you are disconnected from the server in the first place.

Yeah, I don't like it either. Need to be fixed.

> 2) Changes to server properties are not saved until the user shuts down
> pgAdmin.  This means that in the event of a crash all server property
> changes are lost.

Dave already fixed it. It will be available in 1.14.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: Minor UI issues for Server Properties dialog box

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> Dave already fixed it. It will be available in 1.14.

Great.  Glad to hear it!

--                                  -- Josh Berkus                                    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                        http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Minor UI issues for Server Properties dialog box

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 15/01/2011 23:58, Josh Berkus a écrit :
>> Nothing showstopping, but:
>>
>> 1) After you make changes in the Server Properties dialog, it gives you
>> the fairly useless message that "Some changes will not take effect until
>> the next time pgAdmin connects to the server".  The reason this message
>> is useless (and annoying) is that pgAdmin prevents you from changing
>> those fields unless you are disconnected from the server in the first place.
>>

> Yeah, I don't like it either. Need to be fixed.

Actually, it is correct; you can tweak the DB Restriction, but it
needs a full refresh to take effect. That said, it is inconsistent
from other settings.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Minor UI issues for Server Properties dialog box

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 16/01/2011 09:32, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Le 15/01/2011 23:58, Josh Berkus a écrit :
>>> Nothing showstopping, but:
>>>
>>> 1) After you make changes in the Server Properties dialog, it gives you
>>> the fairly useless message that "Some changes will not take effect until
>>> the next time pgAdmin connects to the server".  The reason this message
>>> is useless (and annoying) is that pgAdmin prevents you from changing
>>> those fields unless you are disconnected from the server in the first place.
>>>

>> Yeah, I don't like it either. Need to be fixed.
>
> Actually, it is correct; you can tweak the DB Restriction, but it
> needs a full refresh to take effect. That said, it is inconsistent
> from other settings.

I commited a patch that simply displays the message only when the user
is connected to the server.

Now, what I would like to know is if the other settings should stay
disabled? why only some of them are disabled (or enabled)? shouldn't we
just make them all enabled?

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: Minor UI issues for Server Properties dialog box

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 16/01/2011 09:32, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I don't like it either. Need to be fixed.
>>
>> Actually, it is correct; you can tweak the DB Restriction, but it
>> needs a full refresh to take effect. That said, it is inconsistent
>> from other settings.
>>

> I commited a patch that simply displays the message only when the user
> is connected to the server.
>
> Now, what I would like to know is if the other settings should stay
> disabled? why only some of them are disabled (or enabled)? shouldn't we
> just make them all enabled?

I'd be inclined to make them all disabled.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Minor UI issues for Server Properties dialog box

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 19/01/2011 23:42, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Le 16/01/2011 09:32, Dave Page a écrit :

>>> Actually, it is correct; you can tweak the DB Restriction, but it
>>> needs a full refresh to take effect. That said, it is inconsistent
>>> from other settings.
>>>

>> I commited a patch that simply displays the message only when the user
>> is connected to the server.
>>
>> Now, what I would like to know is if the other settings should stay
>> disabled? why only some of them are disabled (or enabled)? shouldn't we
>> just make them all enabled?
>
> I'd be inclined to make them all disabled.

When one is connected, right? (if not, we couldn't do much after
creating it :) ). Which means we would get rid of the message, as a user
won't be able to change server's settings once connected to it. Makes
sense to me. Working on it.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: Minor UI issues for Server Properties dialog box

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 19/01/2011 23:51, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 19/01/2011 23:42, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> I commited a patch that simply displays the message only when the user
>>> is connected to the server.
>>>
>>> Now, what I would like to know is if the other settings should stay
>>> disabled? why only some of them are disabled (or enabled)? shouldn't we
>>> just make them all enabled?
>>
>> I'd be inclined to make them all disabled.
>>

> When one is connected, right? (if not, we couldn't do much after
> creating it :) ). Which means we would get rid of the message, as a user
> won't be able to change server's settings once connected to it. Makes
> sense to me. Working on it.

Got a patch, but I'm wondering if this is 1.12 material? or is it 1.14
only? actually, Josh's bug is fixed, so this could be 1.14 only. Any
opinions on this matter?

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Вложения

Re: Minor UI issues for Server Properties dialog box

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 19/01/2011 23:51, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
>> Le 19/01/2011 23:42, Dave Page a écrit :

>>> I'd be inclined to make them all disabled.
>>>

>> When one is connected, right? (if not, we couldn't do much after
>> creating it :) ). Which means we would get rid of the message, as a user
>> won't be able to change server's settings once connected to it. Makes
>> sense to me. Working on it.
>>

> Got a patch, but I'm wondering if this is 1.12 material? or is it 1.14
> only? actually, Josh's bug is fixed, so this could be 1.14 only. Any
> opinions on this matter?

1.14.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Minor UI issues for Server Properties dialog box

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 20/01/2011 00:18, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> When one is connected, right? (if not, we couldn't do much after
>>> creating it :) ). Which means we would get rid of the message, as a user
>>> won't be able to change server's settings once connected to it. Makes
>>> sense to me. Working on it.
>>>

>> Got a patch, but I'm wondering if this is 1.12 material? or is it 1.14
>> only? actually, Josh's bug is fixed, so this could be 1.14 only. Any
>> opinions on this matter?
>
> 1.14.

Done. Thanks.

--