Обсуждение: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
I can't recreate this, so it may not be much help, but I left PgAdmin
running with no query windows open at all, and eventually I noticed my
PC slowing right down as memory started to swap.  I've attached a
screenshot to show its memory usage.

Actions I had performed earlier are attempting to select all rows from
a massive table, and closed that result window a few seconds into it
attempting to fetch results.  I had issued a few queries in other
query windows which were quite minor ones which got counts.  I doubled
the tablespace's random page cost for one of the connected clusters,
and updated the statistics target for a column on a table, then
performed a VACUUM ANALYZE.  And I also attempted to restore a ~20GB
custom format database into a new database, but killed the process
some minutes into it as the cancel button on the restore window wasn't
responding.  The window then showed a status of restore failed.  I
then deleted that database.

After all this, no more query windows, result windows, or any other
PgAdmin-related windows were open except for the main application.  It
was presumably idle as I had no other running processes, and was left
focused on a cluster node.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Вложения

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> I can't recreate this, so it may not be much help, but I left PgAdmin
> running with no query windows open at all, and eventually I noticed my
> PC slowing right down as memory started to swap.  I've attached a
> screenshot to show its memory usage.

VM size of a gig? Thats small for Windows isn't it? :-p

> Actions I had performed earlier are attempting to select all rows from
> a massive table, and closed that result window a few seconds into it
> attempting to fetch results.

That's where my suspicions lie. Can you try to reproduce it by doing that again?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 1 October 2010 14:12, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> I can't recreate this, so it may not be much help, but I left PgAdmin
>> running with no query windows open at all, and eventually I noticed my
>> PC slowing right down as memory started to swap.  I've attached a
>> screenshot to show its memory usage.
>
> VM size of a gig? Thats small for Windows isn't it? :-p
>
>> Actions I had performed earlier are attempting to select all rows from
>> a massive table, and closed that result window a few seconds into it
>> attempting to fetch results.
>
> That's where my suspicions lie. Can you try to reproduce it by doing that again?

No, I've attempted that with several large tables, but it doesn't make
any noticeable difference.  Where it's actually started fetching
results and displaying them, closing the window causes pgAdmin to
correctly returns the memory.  I've also checked what's happening
server-side when closing the window, and the query is cancelled.  Is
it theorically possible for pgAdmin to fail to cancel the query when
closing the results window?

Note: Whenever I say results window, I actually mean the view/edit data window.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 1 October 2010 14:21, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 1 October 2010 14:12, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>>> I can't recreate this, so it may not be much help, but I left PgAdmin
>>> running with no query windows open at all, and eventually I noticed my
>>> PC slowing right down as memory started to swap.  I've attached a
>>> screenshot to show its memory usage.
>>
>> VM size of a gig? Thats small for Windows isn't it? :-p
>>
>>> Actions I had performed earlier are attempting to select all rows from
>>> a massive table, and closed that result window a few seconds into it
>>> attempting to fetch results.
>>
>> That's where my suspicions lie. Can you try to reproduce it by doing that again?
>
> No, I've attempted that with several large tables, but it doesn't make
> any noticeable difference.  Where it's actually started fetching
> results and displaying them, closing the window causes pgAdmin to
> correctly returns the memory.  I've also checked what's happening
> server-side when closing the window, and the query is cancelled.  Is
> it theorically possible for pgAdmin to fail to cancel the query when
> closing the results window?
>
> Note: Whenever I say results window, I actually mean the view/edit data window.

Got this in the logs if it's relevant at all.  Note that
bookingbaskets is the massive table:

2010-10-01 13:37:09 BST    STATEMENT    SELECT * FROM public.bookingbaskets             ORDER BY bookingbasketid ASC

2010-10-01 13:37:11 BST    LOG    could not receive data from client: No
connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
it.
2010-10-01 13:37:12 BST    LOG    unexpected EOF on client connection
2010-10-01 13:37:11 BST    LOG    could not receive data from client: No
connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
it.
2010-10-01 13:37:13 BST    LOG    unexpected EOF on client connection
2010-10-01 13:37:11 BST    LOG    could not receive data from client: No
connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
it.
2010-10-01 13:37:13 BST    LOG    unexpected EOF on client connection
2010-10-01 13:37:12 BST    LOG    could not receive data from client: No
connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
it.
2010-10-01 13:37:13 BST    LOG    unexpected EOF on client connection
2010-10-01 13:37:12 BST    LOG    could not receive data from client: No
connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
it.
2010-10-01 13:37:13 BST    LOG    unexpected EOF on client connection
2010-10-01 13:37:12 BST    LOG    could not receive data from client: No
connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
it.
2010-10-01 13:37:13 BST    LOG    unexpected EOF on client connection
2010-10-01 13:37:12 BST    LOG    could not receive data from client: No
connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
it.

This was just before I noticed the massive memory usage.  I took the
screenshot at 13:42.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 1 October 2010 14:12, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>>> I can't recreate this, so it may not be much help, but I left PgAdmin
>>> running with no query windows open at all, and eventually I noticed my
>>> PC slowing right down as memory started to swap.  I've attached a
>>> screenshot to show its memory usage.
>>
>> VM size of a gig? Thats small for Windows isn't it? :-p
>>
>>> Actions I had performed earlier are attempting to select all rows from
>>> a massive table, and closed that result window a few seconds into it
>>> attempting to fetch results.
>>
>> That's where my suspicions lie. Can you try to reproduce it by doing that again?
>
> No, I've attempted that with several large tables, but it doesn't make
> any noticeable difference.  Where it's actually started fetching
> results and displaying them, closing the window causes pgAdmin to
> correctly returns the memory.  I've also checked what's happening
> server-side when closing the window, and the query is cancelled.  Is
> it theorically possible for pgAdmin to fail to cancel the query when
> closing the results window?

Well it shouldn't be, but it's always possible we missed something.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

pgAdmin III 1.12 strange behaviour in text editing

От
Mauro Bertoli
Дата:
Hi all,I've noticed a strange behaviour in editing a field of type text using the data
grid: a double quotes is added at the beginning and at the end of the text.

Using Windows Xp SP 3
PgAdmin 1.12.0
Postgres 8.3.8 on i486-pc-linux ubuntu 4.2.4

Thnak you and best regards,
Mauro

Re: pgAdmin III 1.12 strange behaviour in text editing

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 02/10/2010 11:05, Mauro Bertoli a écrit :
> [...]
>  I've noticed a strange behaviour in editing a field of type text using the data
> grid: a double quotes is added at the beginning and at the end of the text.

I don't have that. Can you give us the specific steps you follow to
reproduce your bug? Thanks.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: pgAdmin III 1.12 strange behaviour in text editing

От
Mauro Bertoli
Дата:
Sorry, I cannot. I've update from 1.10 to 1.12 today, and that strange behaviour
succeded.
Now, with the same table and same data is all ok... but I'm not crazy :)
When I can reproduce it I'll be more precise.
Thanks.

> Le 02/10/2010 11:05, Mauro Bertoli a écrit :
> > [...]
> >  I've  noticed a strange behaviour in editing a field of type text using the
>data
>
> > grid: a double quotes is added at the beginning and at the end of the  text.
> >

> I don't have that. Can you give us the specific steps you  follow to
> reproduce your bug? Thanks.
>

> --
> Guillaume
> http://www.postgresql.fr
> http://dalibo.com

Re: pgAdmin III 1.12 strange behaviour in text editing

От
Mauro Bertoli
Дата:
Hi, the steps to reproduced the problem (that I think it is a dis-liked
behaviour):
If I select a portion of text and then press CTRL+C (copy) and then press CTRL+V
(paste) it will paste full cell text wrapped around a double quotes, but I
expect that paste the text I selected. If I right-click "copy" then "paste" it
work fine.
Thanks for your great support in this great tool,
Mauro

> Sorry, I cannot. I've update from 1.10 to 1.12 today, and that strange
>behaviour
>
> succeded.
> Now, with the same table and same data is all ok... but I'm not  crazy :)
> When I can reproduce it I'll be more  precise.
> Thanks.

Дата:
Le 03/10/2010 19:16, Mauro Bertoli a écrit :
> Hi, the steps to reproduced the problem (that I think it is a dis-liked
> behaviour):
> If I select a portion of text and then press CTRL+C (copy) and then press CTRL+V
> (paste) it will paste full cell text wrapped around a double quotes, but I
> expect that paste the text I selected. If I right-click "copy" then "paste" it
> work fine.

There is a reason for that. Not sure everyone will see that as a good
reason, and I'm open to suggestion for enhancing it.

When you click on a cell and do Ctrl-C, you're in row copy mode. So you
get something like the CSV copy mode with double quotes for text values
and semi-colon between each cells (if you selected more than one cell).
You can change the double quotes and semi-colons with the options dialog
("Query Tool" tab, "Result copy quote character" and "Result copy field
separator" fields).

When you edit a cell and do Ctrl-C, you're in text copy mode, so you get
the precise text (I mean, without quotes)... but you can't copy multiple
cells this way.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> 2010-10-01 13:37:13 BST LOG     unexpected EOF on client connection
> 2010-10-01 13:37:12 BST LOG     could not receive data from client: No
> connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
> it.
>
> This was just before I noticed the massive memory usage.  I took the
> screenshot at 13:42.

I chatted with Guillaume about this, and we don't currently see how it
could happen (clearly it did, but...). If you can figure out a way to
reproduce, that would be a huge help.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: pgAdmin III 1.12 strange behaviour in text editing

От
Mauro Bertoli

I think that there is a bug, because if I edit a cell (inside the cell, not in
row copy mode) and press CTRL+C it wrap with double quotes.
I think that if I select a cell (but I'm non inside the cell editing it) and
press CTRL+C is usefull that wrap with double quotes, like csv. But if I select
a portion of text and press CTRL+C, I expect that it copy the real text I
selected.

Hope this help,
Mauro

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 5 October 2010 10:20, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> 2010-10-01 13:37:13 BST LOG     unexpected EOF on client connection
>> 2010-10-01 13:37:12 BST LOG     could not receive data from client: No
>> connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
>> it.
>>
>> This was just before I noticed the massive memory usage.  I took the
>> screenshot at 13:42.
>
> I chatted with Guillaume about this, and we don't currently see how it
> could happen (clearly it did, but...). If you can figure out a way to
> reproduce, that would be a huge help.

Okay, I've tried reproducing it by asking it to show the edit view
without restricting the number of results, but seems to be fine.  But
if I open with limited to 100, then change it to "no limit", refresh
and close, the query still appears to be running on the server.  It
shows "pgAdmin III - Edit Grid" as the process running the query too,
and there's still lots of I/O on the machine.  I definitely don't
still have that window open.

At this point it hasn't received any results back, so the memory usage
hasn't peaked yet.  A postgres process has, however, has over 2GB of
read I/O, bearing in mind I've only used it very little today.  ...
and has now reached 3GB as I'm writing this.

I've had to kill of pgAdmin III now since it stopped responding, even
though the memory usage hadn't gone up.  Postgres still appears to be
busy collecting the results.

Tried it again, and exactly the same problem.  Only happens when
initially opening the edit view with 100 rows and updating it to have
no limit, then closing it before results come back.

And now another table which can't return results back straight away,
but would still return them after a short wait... same problem, and
pgAdmin III is bloating.  It's reached 200MB and rising.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 5 October 2010 11:03, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 5 October 2010 10:20, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>>> 2010-10-01 13:37:13 BST LOG     unexpected EOF on client connection
>>> 2010-10-01 13:37:12 BST LOG     could not receive data from client: No
>>> connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
>>> it.
>>>
>>> This was just before I noticed the massive memory usage.  I took the
>>> screenshot at 13:42.
>>
>> I chatted with Guillaume about this, and we don't currently see how it
>> could happen (clearly it did, but...). If you can figure out a way to
>> reproduce, that would be a huge help.
>
> Okay, I've tried reproducing it by asking it to show the edit view
> without restricting the number of results, but seems to be fine.  But
> if I open with limited to 100, then change it to "no limit", refresh
> and close, the query still appears to be running on the server.  It
> shows "pgAdmin III - Edit Grid" as the process running the query too,
> and there's still lots of I/O on the machine.  I definitely don't
> still have that window open.
>
> At this point it hasn't received any results back, so the memory usage
> hasn't peaked yet.  A postgres process has, however, has over 2GB of
> read I/O, bearing in mind I've only used it very little today.  ...
> and has now reached 3GB as I'm writing this.
>
> I've had to kill of pgAdmin III now since it stopped responding, even
> though the memory usage hadn't gone up.  Postgres still appears to be
> busy collecting the results.
>
> Tried it again, and exactly the same problem.  Only happens when
> initially opening the edit view with 100 rows and updating it to have
> no limit, then closing it before results come back.
>
> And now another table which can't return results back straight away,
> but would still return them after a short wait... same problem, and
> pgAdmin III is bloating.  It's reached 200MB and rising.

Another note, pgAdmin III returns to normal memory usage once all
results have been "received".  But if you're selecting from a 100GB
table by accident, that's not really a consolation. ;)

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> Okay, I've tried reproducing it by asking it to show the edit view
> without restricting the number of results, but seems to be fine.  But
> if I open with limited to 100, then change it to "no limit", refresh
> and close, the query still appears to be running on the server.  It
> shows "pgAdmin III - Edit Grid" as the process running the query too,
> and there's still lots of I/O on the machine.  I definitely don't
> still have that window open.

OK, so I believe the attached patch fixes this, though I'm slightly
nervous about unintended side-effects. I'll provide Thom with a binary
for testing, but would appreciate it if someone else (Guillaume?)
could also review the patch.

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Вложения

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 7 October 2010 12:56, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> Okay, I've tried reproducing it by asking it to show the edit view
>> without restricting the number of results, but seems to be fine.  But
>> if I open with limited to 100, then change it to "no limit", refresh
>> and close, the query still appears to be running on the server.  It
>> shows "pgAdmin III - Edit Grid" as the process running the query too,
>> and there's still lots of I/O on the machine.  I definitely don't
>> still have that window open.
>
> OK, so I believe the attached patch fixes this, though I'm slightly
> nervous about unintended side-effects. I'll provide Thom with a binary
> for testing, but would appreciate it if someone else (Guillaume?)
> could also review the patch.

Yes, that appears to have fixed the problem. :)

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 07/10/2010 13:56, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> Okay, I've tried reproducing it by asking it to show the edit view
>> without restricting the number of results, but seems to be fine.  But
>> if I open with limited to 100, then change it to "no limit", refresh
>> and close, the query still appears to be running on the server.  It
>> shows "pgAdmin III - Edit Grid" as the process running the query too,
>> and there's still lots of I/O on the machine.  I definitely don't
>> still have that window open.
>
> OK, so I believe the attached patch fixes this, though I'm slightly
> nervous about unintended side-effects. I'll provide Thom with a binary
> for testing, but would appreciate it if someone else (Guillaume?)
> could also review the patch.

Seems good to me. I don't find any side-effects on this patch. So +1 to
commit it.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 07/10/2010 13:56, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>>> Okay, I've tried reproducing it by asking it to show the edit view
>>> without restricting the number of results, but seems to be fine.  But
>>> if I open with limited to 100, then change it to "no limit", refresh
>>> and close, the query still appears to be running on the server.  It
>>> shows "pgAdmin III - Edit Grid" as the process running the query too,
>>> and there's still lots of I/O on the machine.  I definitely don't
>>> still have that window open.
>>
>> OK, so I believe the attached patch fixes this, though I'm slightly
>> nervous about unintended side-effects. I'll provide Thom with a binary
>> for testing, but would appreciate it if someone else (Guillaume?)
>> could also review the patch.
>>

> Seems good to me. I don't find any side-effects on this patch. So +1 to
> commit it.

Thanks!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 07/10/2010 13:56, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>>> Okay, I've tried reproducing it by asking it to show the edit view
>>> without restricting the number of results, but seems to be fine.  But
>>> if I open with limited to 100, then change it to "no limit", refresh
>>> and close, the query still appears to be running on the server.  It
>>> shows "pgAdmin III - Edit Grid" as the process running the query too,
>>> and there's still lots of I/O on the machine.  I definitely don't
>>> still have that window open.
>>
>> OK, so I believe the attached patch fixes this, though I'm slightly
>> nervous about unintended side-effects. I'll provide Thom with a binary
>> for testing, but would appreciate it if someone else (Guillaume?)
>> could also review the patch.
>>

> Seems good to me. I don't find any side-effects on this patch. So +1 to
> commit it.

Done.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PgAdmin III 1.12 crazy memory usage

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 12 October 2010 10:41, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, so I believe the attached patch fixes this, though I'm slightly
>>> nervous about unintended side-effects. I'll provide Thom with a binary
>>> for testing, but would appreciate it if someone else (Guillaume?)
>>> could also review the patch.
>>>

>> Seems good to me. I don't find any side-effects on this patch. So +1 to
>> commit it.
>
> Done.

Thanks Dave.

--

Le 05/10/2010 11:32, Mauro Bertoli a écrit :
> [...]

Finally I found some time (and motivation) to work on this. So, it's
fixed. Should be available in 1.12.3.

Thanks for your report.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com