Обсуждение: Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)

Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)

От
Herouth Maoz
Дата:
Hello.

I have upgraded today to version 1.12, hoping to solve a long standing problem regarding lost connections.

The issue is that when the Mac goes to sleep, all the connections are lost. This obviously happens quite frequently, so
Iexpected there to be a way to re-connect, like there is in other interfaces such as DBVisualizer etc., and saw that
thisis supposed to be addressed in revision 1.12.

However, support is very partial. One is offered the option to reconnect only from the browser window. If I have a grid
editorand a query editor opened, they don't share the same connection, they have their own, and I have no way of
re-connectingthese.

You might say "Well, just close and re-open the windows". But on the query window, this requires me to go through the
processof saving aside my query, closing, opening, and opening any additional connections I had there, then pasting the
savedquery back in. On the grid window, it requires me to set filters again, and I also lose the carefully adjusted
columnwidths. Any window that gets its own connection should offer the option to reconnect it when it is lost.

In addition, I'm not sure the reconnect code is very reliable even in the browser window. Pgadmin3 crashed twice after
Ireconnected, though it is completely stable when I start the application anew and have never lost the connection. I
willtry to see if this is consistent

In addition, I'd like to comment on a minor issue: the choice of icon for this version. Although the outlined elephant
isvery stylish, on the Mac transparent parts of the icon cannot be clicked (in the Finder), which makes it difficult to
pointand hit a non-transparent pixel to run the application. One needs to be very precise...

Another problem I have is probably with the underlying GUI toolkit you are using, so please tell me who I should
addressthis bug to: All text fields and text areas don't use Apple's built in text engine anymore. As a result,
right-to-lefttext is very hard to edit. The calculation of the position in the text based on the position of the cursor
iswrong, so if you double click on a word, a whole differet word gets selected and the text becomes distorted, and if
youput the cursor anywhere and start typing, the typed text gets inserted at a different position... So either I copy
thetext, edit it elsewhere and paste it back, or I just clear it and have to enter it from scratch.

Version: 1.12.0
Operating System: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4)
Issues:
1. Inability to restore connections in windows other than the browser.
2. Column width settings get lost when grid editor is closed (they always have, but this makes losing the window a real
PITA).
3. Restored connections in browser window cause instability.
4. New icon is not very practical on the Mac.
5. GUI text engine doesn't handle RTL text properly.

Thank you for your time!

Herouth

Re: Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 23/09/2010 22:29, Herouth Maoz a écrit :
> [...]
> Version: 1.12.0
> Operating System: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4)
> Issues:
> 1. Inability to restore connections in windows other than the browser.

Yeah, this is something that still needs work.

> 2. Column width settings get lost when grid editor is closed (they always have, but this makes losing the window a
realPITA).

What would you like to have on this issue? we can store the widths of
each column on the last query, and we would restore that at the next
run, but you could run a completely different query and the new widths
could not be appropriate. I'm not sure there is an easy solution to this
one.

> 3. Restored connections in browser window cause instability.

We would need more to get this "bug" fixed.

> 4. New icon is not very practical on the Mac.

I'll let Dave answer on this one :)

> 5. GUI text engine doesn't handle RTL text properly.

Seems more a wxWidgets issue to me. And I'm quite sure they'll tell you
to use 2.9 instead of 2.8.

> Thank you for your time!

Thanks for your comments. I would really like you to comment more on #2,
and find the exact steps that cause instability on restored connections.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)

От
Gianni
Дата:
On 23/set/2010, at 22.29, Herouth Maoz wrote:
> In addition, I'd like to comment on a minor issue: the choice of icon for this version. Although the outlined
elephantis very stylish, on the Mac transparent parts of the icon cannot be clicked (in the Finder), which makes it
difficultto point and hit a non-transparent pixel to run the application. One needs to be very precise...

I'll second that, the transparency makes the icon almost invisible in the Dock.

One other minor annoyance is that when I view the properties for a table by right clicking the table name and selecting
Propertiesthe resulting window gets pushed to the background behind the main pgAdmin window, I then have to select the
newwindow from the Window menu to bring it to the front again.

Apart from that many thanks for a great product!
Gianni

Вложения

Re: Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)

От
Herouth Maoz
Дата:
(I sent this message before but it never came through. I'm guessing the majordomo doesn't accept attachments, so I am sending it without the attachments, and please let me know how I can pass the crash reports to you if you need them).

On 23/09/2010, at 22:42, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

2. Column width settings get lost when grid editor is closed (they always have, but this makes losing the window a real PITA).

What would you like to have on this issue? we can store the widths of
each column on the last query, and we would restore that at the next
run, but you could run a completely different query and the new widths
could not be appropriate. I'm not sure there is an easy solution to this
one.

Well, I'm referring to the grid editor - that is, the tool to "view and edit the current object" (filtered or unfiltered). As far as I know, unless the table schema changed (which I supposed can be checked before display), the grid display will have the same number and order of columns. Or am I overlooking some option there?

Of course, in the free query tool, it's a different story.

3. Restored connections in browser window cause instability.

We would need more to get this "bug" fixed.

OK, I'll try to keep records several times after the computer wakes.

I'm attaching the crash reports from the two crashes that I had so far.

4. New icon is not very practical on the Mac.

I'll let Dave answer on this one :)

5. GUI text engine doesn't handle RTL text properly.

Seems more a wxWidgets issue to me. And I'm quite sure they'll tell you
to use 2.9 instead of 2.8.

Yes, I said I was guessing it's something to do with your GUI engine. Is this something I can actually do or do you mean you have compiled 1.12.0 against an old version of wxWidgets and there's nothing to be done?

Thanks,
Herouth

Re: Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 25/09/2010 12:20, Herouth Maoz a écrit :
> (I sent this message before but it never came through. I'm guessing the majordomo doesn't accept attachments, so I am
sendingit without the attachments, and please let me know how I can pass the crash reports to you if you need them).

> On 23/09/2010, at 22:42, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>
>>> 2. Column width settings get lost when grid editor is closed (they always have, but this makes losing the window a
realPITA).

>> What would you like to have on this issue? we can store the widths of
>> each column on the last query, and we would restore that at the next
>> run, but you could run a completely different query and the new widths
>> could not be appropriate. I'm not sure there is an easy solution to this
>> one.
>
> Well, I'm referring to the grid editor - that is, the tool to "view and edit the current object" (filtered or
unfiltered).As far as I know, unless the table schema changed (which I supposed can be checked before display), the
griddisplay will have the same number and order of columns. Or am I overlooking some option there?

> Of course, in the free query tool, it's a different story.

Well, it's not such a different story. We won't store the customized
sizes of each column for each table you saw. Because it could use a lot
of space on the options file.

We still can do what I explained earlier, ie storing the size of each
column of the table last viewed. And we will restore that, no matter
which table you open. If this could work for you, I can work on this.

>>> 3. Restored connections in browser window cause instability.
>>
>> We would need more to get this "bug" fixed.
>
> OK, I'll try to keep records several times after the computer wakes.
>
> I'm attaching the crash reports from the two crashes that I had so far.

Thanks for the two files. Unfortunately, there is nothing in them that
could help me fix this bug.

>>> 4. New icon is not very practical on the Mac.
>>
>> I'll let Dave answer on this one :)
>>
>>> 5. GUI text engine doesn't handle RTL text properly.
>>
>> Seems more a wxWidgets issue to me. And I'm quite sure they'll tell you
>> to use 2.9 instead of 2.8.
>
> Yes, I said I was guessing it's something to do with your GUI engine. Is this something I can actually do or do you
meanyou have compiled 1.12.0 against an old version of wxWidgets and there's nothing to be done?

pgAdmin is compatible with wxWidgets 2.8. 2.9 is mostly a development
release for 3.0, so we didn't actually put a lot of work to be
compatible with 2.9. And there is good chance we won't until 3.0 is out.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)

От
Herouth Maoz
Дата:
On 25/09/2010, at 23:18, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> Well, it's not such a different story. We won't store the customized
> sizes of each column for each table you saw. Because it could use a lot
> of space on the options file.
>
> We still can do what I explained earlier, ie storing the size of each
> column of the table last viewed. And we will restore that, no matter
> which table you open. If this could work for you, I can work on this.

I suppose this could work for me, because after a disconnect I'll most frequently open the same table to continue
editingit. Perhaps we can compromise on saving the last N tables opened? Last 5, or something like that?

> pgAdmin is compatible with wxWidgets 2.8. 2.9 is mostly a development
> release for 3.0, so we didn't actually put a lot of work to be
> compatible with 2.9. And there is good chance we won't until 3.0 is out.

The issue is this: although I could go and tell the developers of wxWidgets about this, I do not have any information
thatthey might ask me about - such as the exact widgets and options you use or the environment in which you compile. I
reallyfeel that as the developer, it would be best if you reported the issue on my behalf, and I'll be happy to provide
screenshots or anything that would help make it clear, or test any suggested solutions. BTW, the grid view also has
issuesworking with the Japanese IME, so basically one cannot type Japanese in the grid cells at all. I don't know
wxWidgets- perhaps there is an option to set in compilation that will make them use the underlying operating system
textediting, or that will make them work better in an i18nalized environment.

Thank you.
Herouth

Re: Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Herouth Maoz <herouth@spamcop.net> wrote:

> BTW, the grid view also has issues working with the Japanese IME, so basically one cannot type Japanese in the grid
cellsat all. I don't know wxWidgets - perhaps there is an option to set in compilation that will make them use the
underlyingoperating system text editing, or that will make them work better in an i18nalized environment.

Hmm, pretty sure Hiroshi would have complained about that if it were a
general problem.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)

От
Herouth Maoz
Дата:
But does he test it on a Macintosh?

On 30/09/2010, at 16:07, Dave Page wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Herouth Maoz <herouth@spamcop.net> wrote:
>>
>> BTW, the grid view also has issues working with the Japanese IME, so basically one cannot type Japanese in the grid
cellsat all. I don't know wxWidgets - perhaps there is an option to set in compilation that will make them use the
underlyingoperating system text editing, or that will make them work better in an i18nalized environment.

> Hmm, pretty sure Hiroshi would have complained about that if it were a
> general problem.
>

> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Herouth Maoz <herouth@spamcop.net> wrote:
> But does he test it on a Macintosh?

Good point. Probably not as he's more of a Windows/Linux guy.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 30/09/2010 16:02, Herouth Maoz a écrit :

> On 25/09/2010, at 23:18, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>

>> Well, it's not such a different story. We won't store the customized
>> sizes of each column for each table you saw. Because it could use a lot
>> of space on the options file.
>>
>> We still can do what I explained earlier, ie storing the size of each
>> column of the table last viewed. And we will restore that, no matter
>> which table you open. If this could work for you, I can work on this.
>
> I suppose this could work for me, because after a disconnect I'll most frequently open the same table to continue
editingit. Perhaps we can compromise on saving the last N tables opened? Last 5, or something like that?

We'll see. I added a ticket to work on this when I'll have some time
(http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/248).

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com