Обсуждение: get the copy of a schema

get the copy of a schema

От
vaniShree
Дата:
Hi all,I am novice to postgres.I am trying to get the copy of the schema with
data.I am using Pgadmin.PLease help me to get the copy of the schema.
-Vani

Re: get the copy of a schema

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 19/11/2009 19:10, vaniShree wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I am novice to postgres.I am trying to get the copy of the schema with
> data.I am using Pgadmin.PLease help me to get the copy of the schema.

You probably want the backup function - right-click on a database in the
tree view, then select "Backup".

This function just calls pg_dump, which is the standard Postgres backup
tool, and all the options in this dialogue correspond to pg_dump
options, so you should read up on pg_dump:
 http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/app-pgdump.html

I hope this helps.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: get the copy of a schema

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 23/11/2009 14:25, vani shree wrote:
> Hi Ray,
>   Thanks for the response.To use the Backup function,the backup is not
> active.How to activate backup tool.

Hi Vani,

[Please keep replies on-list - this helps others who may have the same
problem, and the emails are kept in the archives for the same purpose.]

You need to tell pgAdmin where there is a local pg_dump executable. You
do this via File -> Options -> PG bin path. Once pgAdmin can find
pg_dump and has sufficient privileges to run it, you should be able to
access the backup function.

I hope this helps.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: get the copy of a schema

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 23/11/2009 18:58, vani shree wrote:

> How to set the permissions.This is what i tried.
>
> The pgadmin is install in c://drive.So I set the PG bin path as C:\Program
> Files\pgAdmin III\1.10.

Hi Vani,

*Please* keep your replies on-list - see my last email.

The path above has to point to wherever there's a local copy of pg_dump.
Is pg_dump.exe in that directory?

Bear in mind too that pg_dump.exe depends on a number of other DLL
files, which need to be in the same directory or on the system path. I
don't know if this makes a difference to whether "backup" is greyed out
or not.

Anyway, have you located pg_dump.exe? If you haven't got it on the local
machine, then you can get it here:
 http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows

Under "One-click installer", look for the line beginning "Advanced
users..." which has a link to a zip with just the binaries. This archive
includes quite a bit more than you need, but when you unpack it all the
"bin" subdirectory contain pg_dump and all the DLLs it needs (as well as
a whole heap of other stuff).

> The database name is unique_manage The permission to this database is
>
> CREATE DATABASE unique_manage
>
> WITH OWNER = dbuser
>
> ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII'
>
> CONNECTION LIMIT = -1;
>
> GRANT ALL ON DATABASE unique_manage TO dbuser WITH GRANT OPTION;

I was actually referring to filesystem permissions which would allow the
logged-in user to execute pg_dump. Anyway, once you do locate
pg_dump.exe, try running that from the command line:
 pg_dump -U dbuser -h <server address> unique_manage > dump.sql

See pg_dump --help for the various options.

If this works, I don't see why it woudn't work from within pgAdmin also.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: get the copy of a schema

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 24/11/2009 18:50, vani shree wrote:

> I Installed pg_dump.exe.After installation i tried few options.I have
> exaplained the error with the screen shots.Please help me where i am goin
> wrong.

Vani, if you do reply-all rather than just reply, then your posts will
make it to the list.

I don't have Word, so I wasn't able to see you screen shots. Any chance
you could write what you did and the errors you got directly in the email?

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: get the copy of a schema

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 24/11/2009 18:53, vani shree wrote:
> Hi Ray,
>   Please see this file if the previous document is not opening.

Vani, *please* reply to the list, not just to me.

Also, it's much better if you just type the errors directly into the
email rather than attaching a Word document, as it means that your
problem is searchable in the archives.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: get the copy of a schema

От
vaniShree
Дата:
Hi Ray,I installed pg_dump.exe.It is installed in the c:\pgsql\.And i have set the
pg bin path as c:\pgsql\bin in pgAdmin.I tried with setting path as
c:\pgsql\bin\pg_dump.exe.
It  gives an
Error: PostgresSQL bin path specified is not valid or does not contain a
postgres SQl pg_dump executable.
However the backup tool is not active.
I have tried  Another option  from the command line.
I tried this from  c:\pgsql\bin
1.   pg_dump  -h  192.678.1.67 –p  5436 –U postgres  unique_manage >data.sql
The Error I am getting is  Pg_dump: SQL command failed   Pg_dump:Error Message from server:Error:unrecognized
configuration
parameter “synchronize_seqscans”Pg_dump :The command was:SET synchronize_seqscans TO off
Tried as a different user.While trying this,I changed the owner name of the
database in the PGADmin.
2. pg_dump  -h  192.678.1.67 –p  5436 –U dbuser unique_manage >data.sql
I got the same error
Where am i goin wrong...

Thanks
Vani

Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

> On 24/11/2009 18:53, vani shree wrote:
>> Hi Ray,
>>   Please see this file if the previous document is not opening.
>
> Vani, *please* reply to the list, not just to me.
>
> Also, it's much better if you just type the errors directly into the
> email rather than attaching a Word document, as it means that your
> problem is searchable in the archives.
>
> Ray.
>
> --
> Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
> rod@iol.ie

Re: get the copy of a schema

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 25/11/2009 14:30, vaniShree wrote:

>  I installed pg_dump.exe.It is installed in the c:\pgsql\.And i have set the
> pg bin path as c:\pgsql\bin in pgAdmin.I tried with setting path as
> c:\pgsql\bin\pg_dump.exe.

Hi Vani,

You don't need to include pg_dump itself, just the directory path. For
example, my pg_dump.exe is here -
 C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pg_dump.exe

and so I have set the PG bin path as:
 C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin

> It  gives an
> Error: PostgresSQL bin path specified is not valid or does not contain a
> postgres SQl pg_dump executable.

Hmmm... Are you sure that pg_dump is where you're saying it is, in
c:\pgsql\bin? You said above that it's in c:\pgsql.

> I have tried  Another option  from the command line.
> I tried this from  c:\pgsql\bin
> 1.   pg_dump  -h  192.678.1.67 –p  5436 –U postgres  unique_manage >data.sql
> The Error I am getting is
>   Pg_dump: SQL command failed
>    Pg_dump:Error Message from server:Error:unrecognized configuration
> parameter “synchronize_seqscans”
>  Pg_dump :The command was:SET synchronize_seqscans TO off

I'm afraid I don't know what that means. What version of pg_dump do you
have, and what version of the PostgreSQL server? - For pg_dump, execute:
  pg_dump --version

And for the server, connect to it with psql and execute:
  select version();

I'm wondering if there's a version mismatch.

I'm away for a few days from this evening, so hopefully others will be
able to help you.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: get the copy of a schema

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 25/11/2009 14:30, vaniShree wrote:

>   Pg_dump: SQL command failed
>    Pg_dump:Error Message from server:Error:unrecognized configuration
> parameter “synchronize_seqscans”
>  Pg_dump :The command was:SET synchronize_seqscans TO off

On this one, it may also be worth posting to the pgsql-general mailing
list, as this probably isn't a pgAdmin problem. You'll have a wider
audience there too.

If you do, include as much information as you can - server and client
versions, platforms, etc etc.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: get the copy of a schema

От
vaniShree
Дата:
Hi ,
The Pg_dump is installed in c:\pgsql\bin.And I tried with Setting pgbin path
as c:\pgsql\bin.
It dint work.
The version of the pg_dump is

c:\pgsql\bin>pg_dump --version     pg_dump <POstgresSQL> 8.4.1

I tried the psql select version();
  i got this  "EnterpriseDB 8.3.0.106 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC
gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3)"

-Vani

Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

> On 25/11/2009 14:30, vaniShree wrote:
>
>>  I installed pg_dump.exe.It is installed in the c:\pgsql\.And i have set
>> the
>> pg bin path as c:\pgsql\bin in pgAdmin.I tried with setting path as
>> c:\pgsql\bin\pg_dump.exe.
>
> Hi Vani,
>
> You don't need to include pg_dump itself, just the directory path. For
> example, my pg_dump.exe is here -
>
>   C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin\pg_dump.exe
>
> and so I have set the PG bin path as:
>
>   C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin
>
>> It  gives an
>> Error: PostgresSQL bin path specified is not valid or does not contain a
>> postgres SQl pg_dump executable.
>
> Hmmm... Are you sure that pg_dump is where you're saying it is, in
> c:\pgsql\bin? You said above that it's in c:\pgsql.
>
>> I have tried  Another option  from the command line.
>> I tried this from  c:\pgsql\bin
>> 1.   pg_dump  -h  192.678.1.67 –p  5436 –U postgres  unique_manage
>> >data.sql
>> The Error I am getting is
>>   Pg_dump: SQL command failed
>>    Pg_dump:Error Message from server:Error:unrecognized configuration
>> parameter “synchronize_seqscans”
>>  Pg_dump :The command was:SET synchronize_seqscans TO off
>
> I'm afraid I don't know what that means. What version of pg_dump do you
> have, and what version of the PostgreSQL server? - For pg_dump, execute:
>
>    pg_dump --version
>
> And for the server, connect to it with psql and execute:
>
>    select version();
>
> I'm wondering if there's a version mismatch.
>
> I'm away for a few days from this evening, so hopefully others will be
> able to help you.
>
> Ray.
>
> --
> Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
> rod@iol.ie

Re: get the copy of a schema

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 25/11/2009 15:59, vaniShree wrote:
> Hi ,
> The Pg_dump is installed in c:\pgsql\bin.And I tried with Setting pgbin path
> as c:\pgsql\bin.
> It dint work.
> The version of the pg_dump is
>
> c:\pgsql\bin>pg_dump --version
>       pg_dump <POstgresSQL> 8.4.1
>
> I tried the psql select version();
>
>    i got this  "EnterpriseDB 8.3.0.106 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC
> gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3)"

Hi Vani,

Did you have any more success with this?

From the error message it looks as if you're using EnterpriseDB rather
than plain PostgreSQL - maybe this makes a difference.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: get the copy of a schema

От
vaniShree
Дата:
Hi Ray,
  As you told in the previous reply ,That the error was might be becoz i am
trying on the EnterpriseDb.And you are right.However Instead of connecting
to the server from the client machine,I tried directly on the server..It
worked.And thank you so much for your support ...I truly appreciate your
help..

-Vani